Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum and found some old posts and gained info on the topic but not really an answer to my question. Hope someone can help or direct me to a thread where I can read myself.

i have a 2020 S1000. It is louder than expected. It would be great to quiet the machine but from what I have read, the differences aren't all that great by swapping out a muffler or whatever. Maybe I am wrong here.

I have ridden with my wife and after awhile, the noise from the RZR gets to be, excuse the pun, exhausting. I feel as though I have run two marathons, backwards, after a long ride. Earplugs are an option but believe it or not, I like talking with my passenger. This has lead me to look at bluetooth headsets or intercom systems. I have looked into Rugged Radio intercom systems and PCI units but man are those expensive choices and they offer more than I need. Here are my requirements.

1. Comfortable
2. Easy to use.
3. Inexpensive (I know the term is relative but $1000 is way out of my budget)
4. Quiets the RZR. Active or passive I don't care.
5. No PTT, just talk and it works. Or explain to me why PTT is a better option. I just think driving and finding a button to talk would be difficult at times.
6. Noise cancellation mic
7. Just need to speak with my passenger, not other machines.
8. Being able to listen to music from my phone MIGHT be nice but not something I would use rarely if at all. Stereo would be nice but not required.
9. We do not wear helmets (please don't judge) so a helmet system won't work.

Was looking at something along the lines of the Sena SPH10. Am I looking the right way or are there better options?

Thank you -

Mark

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
305 Posts
Get this

Plug into this

I doubt you will find a better and more affordable option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Lone Rzr
2,912 Posts
Friend has these and they work great
I made my own. Have 2 noise cancelling head phones and attached motorcycle communicators
Never ride without them. So much more enjoyable

·
Registered
324 Posts
One of the things I have found often in life is by trying to do it the "cheap" way often ends up either costing more. Back in my street bike days I tried to set up and inexpensive ($250) 2 way radio system for me and the wife. It never worked right and so I did not pursue it further so basically I wasted $250. On other projects I have tired to go "cheap" and spent the money on DIY stuff only to end up buying what I really wanted in the first place. Had I just bought the "real" thing in the first place it would have been less expensive.

After the first weekend in our machine I KNEW headsets were a must for me. I looked at all of the options and I did choose a Rugged system. I looked for sale prices, close outs and even bought used headsets from a member on here. Of all the "mods" I have done to my machine this was one of the best. They are durable and they just work with no messing around. Yes it was painful to pay for but 4000 miles/smiles later it is still totally worth it.

I do not know anything about the options listed above but they may be good choices.

I know it only meets two of your requirements, but my brother in law and his wife use just regular shooting ear muffs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My "cheap" headsets set me back a whopping $125 and have been working for years
There are way better options than over priced Rugged systems
They aren't even noise cancelling and that dual head band would drive me nuts
I am glad your solution works for you. I never claimed that it did not, nor did I claim it was a bad option. I shared what my past experiences have been with similar projects.

When I follow the link you sent the base price is now $425.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run Sena headsets on my motorcycle, so I already had those. They work well for communications and you can get an older smh10 model for probably $125 a piece or so. And if others in your group have them, you can communicate vehicle to vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 xp1000
11 Posts
with the rugged intercom the PTT button is only needed for transmitting on a connected two way radio. passengers in your vehicle can talk as normal no need for a PTT button.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looking at your list, I think the only thing that is going to hit each and every point is an intercom system that uses a headset with earcups.

I don't think that Sena system is going to quiet down the rzr noise.

The only thing I can add is my personal experience. I also didn't want to spend the money on an intercom system (as I usually ride without a passenger), but I did want a radio for car 2 car comms. I ended up deciding to bite the bullet and get an entire RR setup (as it was on sale and the cost made it over the limit to get 24 months same as cash with paypal). After having the intercom, I love it and would never have another offroad vehicle without it. I like the features so much that I added the same system with the single seat module instead of intercom to the Ace I picked up for the kids. After sitting in the passenger seat of my RZR for a ride or two, my brother liked the intercom and radio so much he put the full system in his X3 as well.

After having the intercom, IMO it is worth the cost.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP aka: The Bomb
794 Posts
I get it, but I don’t get it. People spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new machine. Some spend thousands more upgrading and customizing them. Then, all of the sudden, they are all twisted up about something that costs hundreds of dollars? That doesn’t add up on my calculator.

especially for an item like this, don’t look at what it costs. Look at what it provides…

More comfort and enjoyment riding with your wife beside you.

My wife is truly my best friend. We enjoy all of our time together. Anything that can extend or improve that time together is priceless.

Now is not the time to be cheap. That time was before you bought the machine. It becomes wasted money if you don’t enjoy it.

Spend it now and enjoy life. You can’t take it with you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sena makes tuff-talk lite over the ear headsets that are bluetooth. I have a set and like them. Also like not having cords to get all tangled up with.

Amazon.com: SENA TUFFTALK-LITE-01 TUFFTALK LITE OVER-THE-HEAD EARMUFF LONG-RANGE BLUETOOTH: Automotive

you can connect to your phone for music and phone calls too. I was doing 25mph in my rzr and had a phone call and no one on the call could tell I was "riding".

You can also connect with other bluetooth devices, they dont have to be Sena brand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. To answer a few questions and ask a couple more. For those with the "full RR" setup, what did it cost? I have been on their website and $1500 is a general number. I may call RR tomorrow and see what they have to offer. To me this is too much, for others not so.

Why do I spend thousands of dollars on the RZR and then worry about spending a few hundred more on an intercom was questioned. It is not a question of what I can or cannot afford as at this point of my life, I can afford anything I can think of. To answer the question - the vast majority of the time spent in the RZR will be me alone. I use it for more than just trail riding and as a matter of fact, trail riding with a passenger is the use it will see the least. When I am solo, I have nice Bose noise cancelling everything that I can use solo and be fine. On those rare occasions when I am with my wife or another passenger, I would like to be able to comfortably talk with them. Hope that answers the question posed.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I am looking into everyone of them.

Mark

·
Registered
608 Posts
We use Midland walkie talkies with around the ear head piece and short boom mic, we been out over 4 miles apart and they worked great, very clear, $72 a pair.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i have a RR 660 4 place setup with dual ptt's (push to talk) so the wife can use the radio.
it is also intergraded with my mobile ham radio and ipad for music.
for my purposes, we enjoy riding in groups and sometimes the group can be spread out a mile or 3 and up to 5mi.
this was purchased during the thanksgiving holidays and was not as bad on the wallet about 400.00.
initially it was a 2 place then i made my own chords for the rear passengers which we seldom carry,
but its there if we need it. over the next few years we moved to utah and there was no need to have helmets,
and we bought behind the head (bth) headsets.
the feature of being able to contact others out to 40+ miles when there is no chance of cell coverage is a small
but important safety factor for myself. the only minus to the system i have is that its not in stereo,
and frankly, its not a bother or not even a minus for me.
in short, look at your needs now, and try to imagine where they will go from there. future proofing.
there is no need to shoot for the moon if its not needed now or in the future.

·
Registered
544 Posts
sena makes tuff-talk lite over the ear headsets that are bluetooth. I have a set and like them. Also like not having cords to get all tangled up with.

Amazon.com: SENA TUFFTALK-LITE-01 TUFFTALK LITE OVER-THE-HEAD EARMUFF LONG-RANGE BLUETOOTH: Automotive

you can connect to your phone for music and phone calls too. I was doing 25mph in my rzr and had a phone call and no one on the call could tell I was "riding".

You can also connect with other bluetooth devices, they dont have to be Sena brand.
I am thinking of going this route for my wife and I. The kids wear helmets in the back, and I am considering Sena helmet mounts for them. Do these get "hot and sweaty" in the summer?

·
Registered
370 Posts
For those with the "full RR" setup, what did it cost? I have been on their website and $1500 is a general number. I may call RR tomorrow and see what they have to offer. To me this is too much, for others not so.
This is the newer equivalent to what I went with.

This is where I got mine, notice it's already cheaper than direct. You could also wait for stuff like black friday discounts.

IIRC it was closer to $1200 at the time I purchased and the radio was different.

I can tell you when I was looking, I was concentrating on the radio end of it. I only ended up picking up the intercom as when I was looking into it, the intercom made connecting helmet comms, headsets, PTT, etc. to the radio easier. But it was a hard pill to swallow adding a x10 cost factor over just getting a stand alone radio without the extra "nice to have features". In the end, for me, being able to spread the cost out over 24 months with zero interest tipped the scale to pull the trigger. And again, after having it, I feel it is worth the cost. I rank the intercom/radio system as one of the best upgrades I have done to my machine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. More than I want to spend. As mentioned, this intercom will be used 10 hours/year at most. If nothing is available, earplugs will work (or ear muffs) and we just won't talk I guess.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am thinking of going this route for my wife and I. The kids wear helmets in the back, and I am considering Sena helmet mounts for them. Do these get "hot and sweaty" in the summer?
Not more than any over the ear muff, they are slimmer in real life than what the picture shows too, I feel. Its not like they are insulated but depends on how humid it is where you are, I guess. The sound quality is pretty good too.

for the kids' helmets, this is what I went with, any bluetooth will connect to the Sena headsets, doenst have to be all Sena brand, if you dont want/need to be:
Amazon.com: LEXIN 2pcs B4FM Motorcycle Bluetooth Intercom with FM Radio, Helmet Bluetooth Headset With Noise Cancellation Up to 4 Riders, Universal Communication Systems for ATV/Dirt Bike/Off Road: Automotive

I put extra USB charging ports and a couple extra cords in my RZR so if someone needed to charge their device while riding, they can. Because kids. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not more than any over the ear muff, they are slimmer in real life than what the picture shows too, I feel. Its not like they are insulated but depends on how humid it is where you are, I guess. The sound quality is pretty good too.

for the kids' helmets, this is what I went with, any bluetooth will connect to the Sena headsets, doenst have to be all Sena brand, if you dont want/need to be:
Amazon.com: LEXIN 2pcs B4FM Motorcycle Bluetooth Intercom with FM Radio, Helmet Bluetooth Headset With Noise Cancellation Up to 4 Riders, Universal Communication Systems for ATV/Dirt Bike/Off Road: Automotive

I put extra USB charging ports and a couple extra cords in my RZR so if someone needed to charge their device while riding, they can. Because kids. :)
Thanks for feedback. Those actually look perfect. Are you able to have an open conversation with all 4 people at one time?

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
305 Posts
Thanks for feedback. Those actually look perfect. Are you able to have an open conversation with all 4 people at one time?
Initially I used similar. Found it to be a pain always having to make sure it was charged. Complicated for pairing Bluetooth to each other. Maybe it’s just me. I like just getting in and knowing it’s going to work even if it sits for weeks at a time. I ended up going with RR coms. Love it. Headset makes the ride more quiet and I can play music.

To each…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts

You can connect all 4 for intercom, but you can only music share with one other headset.

All headsets can listen to their own music.
The headsets connect to each other without a phone present.

You have to push a button to go from music to intercom and back to music. Not each person, every time. Any person can switch the intercom on , only takes one person to end intercom. (If music is connected)

With intercom on constant, you can just talk. No button pushing.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts