Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Commander XT 1000 Video and race with an RZR S

8K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  Ted@ATR 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heres a test drive and short comparison between the Commander XT 1000 and The RZR S. I realise the X may have been a closer comparison, but these are the machines I had available.

#4 ·
I agree completely, unfortunately in that situation I was not able to ride anywhere but that area. I will say a couple weeks ago I was at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes where the editor of ATV Illustrated was testing an XT and nothing could touch the XT. It outclimbed and outran everything, including several quads.

#7 ·
I think we all know the Canam has a higher top speed but all rzr's are different and maybe Canam for that matter. Why race against an S? There slower anyway! I have a stock S and have raced both stock rzrs and S models and have been beat or have beaten other rzrs by 3 or 4 lengths up to 60 mph. So really, the results may vary. But no doubt the Canam will get you if you are running 60+ mph.

#15 ·
X2 put the same engine against the same engine. Thing is the extra weight of the commander offsets the bigger engine. IMO they are apples and oranges. Who really cares about the final top end speed for trail riding? In the woods its all about handling and that the RZR has it beat hands down. I rode one and it felt big and heavy compared to the RZR. I am admittedly biased since I started out on the best side by side out there... :rofl3:

#11 ·
This was a great post. I think it shows unbiased facts about the two machines. The Commander is definitely a "Cadillac" of the side by side world and the RZR is more of the "Corvette" - certainly lacking some creature comforts, but making up for it in sportiness.

#13 ·
I didnt think that was a bad video at all, again, It just shows (and was brought up) about the back end swinging out and/or high center of gravity, You could spin and drift that RAZR all the way around without ever worrying about putting it on its side...The other has a great engine, hands down.. I feel for the guys driving in hot areas!! If you can "cook eggs" inside by the shifter thats just poor design... (so we will call it even, <we have a crappy airbox, They have a frying pan>...Cool

#19 ·
so far alot of the can ams are overheating.....and the belts are breaking...(could also be heat related)

and at alot of canams ride thing their was alot of roll overs...

its like the artic cat won on drags but that was it big heavy and broke alot so you dont see alot about it anymore....just wonder if this could be that same????? well see in a year

#21 ·
CanAm/Rotax engines are known for producing 2 things, power and heat. There are many, many threads about engine heat problems on the canam forum when I spent time there. I waited years for them to come out with their SxS. They kept saying it's coming, it's coming! I waited and waited. So I bought a standard RZR instead and am very glad I did. The Canam SxS is now here and it doesn't meet my expectations or the hype, the RZR did and still does. Go Popo!

#25 ·
Can-Am has a factory sponsored race team for the quads in the WORC serise. They have given that team a couple UTV to race and are being set up by Mark Holz.

They are not allowed to race them this year because the are afraid it will hurt the sells because of the performance in the race. This was from the Can-AM VP mouth at the race/award ceremony this last weekend.

So they just sat there all weekend being pit carts!!! I have to say they are being very smart ... I would do the same thing if I dint think my product would do well ... it is very smart of them ... I give them that!!

#27 ·
:icon_rolleyes:

They're not racing b/c they're still developing them for 11'. Why enter a championship so late when there is no chance for a points victory?
If they were worried about results, they would have left them at the shop, not paraded them around the pit where everyone can see them.

#33 ·
Even though i would never trade my Rzr for the Can Am i disagree. The Can Am X is a very nice looking machine. I sat in 1 the other day and was very impressed with all the features this thing had. They spared no expense building these machines. Still love my Rzr 4 though. Can't to get home and finally get my performance upgrades done.

#35 · (Edited)
We all know the rotax power plant is an awsome engine, it'll be interesting though to see how the transmission holds up in that machine. Also not to be petty or anything but in that video of the rzr S from the dash view it clearly has not been run flat out, just by looking at the speedo its not even close, 650 ft is roughly an 1/8 mile which is a lot of drag racing strips i know it will top out in a lot shorter distance, even my standard rzr will. These videos are a lot of advertising.
At 2:57 the rzr S is between 35-40 mph and kinda stays there (come on!) and the other two machines are long gone, (like long gone) if they are in fact that much faster WOW!! But i know the rzr pulls hard the whole way through, so it will be interesting to actually see one go.

#36 ·
I have to agree about the commander X. I really didn't like the commander when I got a chance to sit in one and check them out.. But the commander X is pretty sharp looking stock machine..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.