Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've saw several threads on the best clutch set up on this site, but most of them are discussing smaller tires. I'm runnin 29.5" Outlaws with a Highlifter/Speedwerx combination clutch and I'm burnin' a belt off every ride. I've tried the Highlifter belts but have actually got the best results with the stock Polaris belt. I have also removed the clutch space and think (and hope) this is causing the problem. I have my RZR in the shop now having the spacer re-installed so I'll let yall know soon. But what is the best clutch set up for big tires?

·
Registered
261 Posts
IMO, call Dale at Dalton Clutch, forum sponsor, I have dealt with them a few times and they speak easy to understand terms and will only sell you what you need... I used their kit for my Sportsman, and it woke it right up.... So far I haven't touched the clutch on the RZR..
I see their new RZR kit is adjustable, but I have no idea how easy/hard it is to figure out what you need...

Oh yeah, all they do is cltchs and kits, so they know their chit! (and a local company for me..)

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Willie. Seems that you guys way up north like to play in the mud as much as we do here in Mississippi. Finding alot of similarities in the rigs up there and the rigs here in the muddy south.

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on guys. I know there's alot of yall runnin tires as big or bigger than my 29.5" Outlaws. What clutch set ups are yall runnin?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Got 30"... Running highlifter kit for 28". Vey trail friendly and not so much snapping... Knock knock knock!lol

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Birdman! Curious as to whether or not your runnin the stock spacer in the clutch. Most people say to take it out and you'll gain an extra 5 mph and it'll run fine. But I've noticed on a clutch kit manufacturer web site that they say DO NOT REMOVE SPACER. I'm burnin belts at an unreal rate with no spacer but I'll have it re-installed soon. Dont know if thats the problem but I'll know soon.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
RZR 4 mud where you from in MS. Im from Hernando. Anyways been running 29.5" laws for 6 months with stock clutch and no spacer but finally broke my first belt at 1000 miles last weekend. Dealer gave me an s belt for the price of a regular and Im lking to get a better secondary spring.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
also if must be riding in High all the time. We ride lake bottoms mostly and I keep it in low no probs at all. I use low 80% of the time.

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From Laurel, MS Hivoltage. Yeah, we run it in low almost all the time. Wasn't at first and thought that may have been the problem. I know several other people that have removed the spacer and had no problems, but all of them, like you, are runnin a stock clutch. I hope the putting the spacer back on solves the problem. If not, who knows?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you guys that are burning through belts regularly smell it burning or will it just go?
Mine smells from time to time,few times a ride if I'm in low doin some real tough crawling but nothing more than that really. I have yet to inspect the belt.

As far as clutch kits....I one time install would be my idea but I have heard great things about the adjustable ones like dirty dawg performance. If you like adjusting and messing around then you may want to try this. I have heard with the proper tools you can change your clutch weights around and have it all back together in about 30 minutes....
With an adjustable one you can probably get the exact combo you want.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
No spacer for a long while. Maybe u need to shim secondary?

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you can smell it when it gets hot. It actually starts comin out of snorkel and get belt particles all over the bed.

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could be Birdman. I'll have the spacer on this week and if it doesn't work I'll start adjust weights, springs, adding shems. Whatever it takes. By the way Birdman, I see your running 30" tires, what clutch set up you running ?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The kit from highlifter it's their 28" kit. And severe duty belt.
It turns the 30"s without the jerkiness and haven't had any issues or complaints.

I do hear allot of good things about dirty dawg performance.

What r u running?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm running 29.5 skinnies on the front and 29.5 wides on the rear with the stock clutch. No problems so far. I've been thinking about removing my spacer, but maybe I won't now. However, I'm in Low for every mudhole I go thru and every hill I climb.

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started out with the Highlifter but was having the belt eating problem so I talked to Speedwerx and changed it up some with some of their springs or weights, can't actually remember exactly - But I did remove the spacer when I put the Highlifter kit in. My rzr drives great. It doesn't jerk but does launch pretty well when I need it to.

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll let you know after I put my spacer back in Silveradols.

·
rzr4mud
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still haven't got it back yet Silveradols. My son went to check on it Friday and just so happened to have his new 4-wheeler with him. So he and our mechanic decided that they could snorkel his 4-wheeler but didnt have time to fix my RZR... He promised he'd have it ready this week. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts