Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why when you look up clutch mods they tell you that the modification is for a certain altitude (i.e. 0-3000' MSL)??

I live at 4600' MSL and ride here (Rzr4) but I also go to the dunes (below Sea Level, mostly). I was interested to see if there was a Dune clutch for the RZR4 but I keep getting roadblocked with the altitude thing.....

Also, if I do a "Dune" modification to my clutch, will it still be ok for trail/two-track type riding??

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
22,920 Posts
As you go up in elevation, engines make less power due to the air being less dense. Everybody knows, you gotta have oxygen to make fire! We adjust the components in the kit to the elevation you ride at so your machine runs the correct rpm.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool.. I knew about the oxygen thing as I came here from Connecticut, a much lower altitude. I just never figured that it would effect the clutch like it does.

So, any advice on how I should handle my situation with riding at substantially different altitudes??

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
302 Posts
As a rough rule from the days I was taking courses on aircraft engine powerplants some 30 plus years ago now, the rough calculation we would use for elevation power loss was 3 percent per thousand feet gained, provided of course you adjusted carburation to keep everything optimal. At the elevation you're riding, that's enough of a loss you should be able to feel it in the seat of your pants, and will of course affect how you set everything up for optimal performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts