Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
What about lowering cruise rpm mine is like 5500 at 25 .
can you pm me on your h elix i might need one for my woods
racer
thats what im wanting to do. maybe it takes a softer primary spring to engage slightly lower RPM.

we have two 800 RZR's, one is a 2009 other is a 2012 (of course the 2012 has the HO800 engine), both stock clutching, both have same Polaris 26 x 14" wheel tire kit. example, the 2009 will run about 5-6mph more in low range than the 2012 will before hitting rev limiter (and the 2012 has the rev limter raised 500RPM more with PC-V)

the 2012 just over all feels geared lower than the 2009. pretty sure they both have same transmission gear ratios and final drive ratios. or did Polaris change the gearing sometime between 09 & 12?

thanks
Depends on what secondary clutch is in your 09, all 09 S have the EBS secondary and the ones made before oct 1st in the regular have it too. Your 2012 has a rapid reaction secondary

Same as reply to other guy, no way to lower it without messing up the calibration in another place. Ideally you should be holding RPM under load at around 6200 for a 800 and 8200 for a 900 but I know it is not going to be there when running a steady slow speed.
Thanks for the reply, the 09 we bought new in late May 2009. And while I knew some non-S models had it. I was told if it was built before March 09 it didn't have it.

Not really worried about having engine braking, but if having the EBS team clutch will engage a slightly earlier RPM from idle like the 09 lll put one kn the 12z

Here is the thing with two, 09 is a non-HO 800 so it has a slightly milder cam from Polaris that the cam in the 12 HO800. So I'm thinking maybe Polaris retuned the clutch slightly looser on the HO800's to work in a slightly higher powerband possibly.

Thing is my 12 HO 800 which still uses the stock HO camshaft, has a 11:1 82mm big bore kit and crank works 79.5mm stroked crank giving about 845cc from the stock 760cc. The over 10% increase in displacement without going to a larger cam will actually pull down the powerband some and I feel like the entire clutching set up is too "loose" for the increased low-midrange torque of the greater engine displacement.

It's like it has all the extra power/torque over a regular or HO800 but doesn't get it to the ground, as the clutch doesn't grab low/early enough.

·
Vendor
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thats what im wanting to do. maybe it takes a softer primary spring to engage slightly lower RPM.

we have two 800 RZR's, one is a 2009 other is a 2012 (of course the 2012 has the HO800 engine), both stock clutching, both have same Polaris 26 x 14" wheel tire kit. example, the 2009 will run about 5-6mph more in low range than the 2012 will before hitting rev limiter (and the 2012 has the rev limter raised 500RPM more with PC-V)

the 2012 just over all feels geared lower than the 2009. pretty sure they both have same transmission gear ratios and final drive ratios. or did Polaris change the gearing sometime between 09 & 12?

thanks
Depends on what secondary clutch is in your 09, all 09 S have the EBS secondary and the ones made before oct 1st in the regular have it too. Your 2012 has a rapid reaction secondary

Same as reply to other guy, no way to lower it without messing up the calibration in another place. Ideally you should be holding RPM under load at around 6200 for a 800 and 8200 for a 900 but I know it is not going to be there when running a steady slow speed.
Thanks for the reply, the 09 we bought new in late May 2009. And while I knew some non-S models had it. I was told if it was built before March 09 it didn't have it.

Not really worried about having engine braking, but if having the EBS team clutch will engage a slightly earlier RPM from idle like the 09 lll put one kn the 12z

Here is the thing with two, 09 is a non-HO 800 so it has a slightly milder cam from Polaris that the cam in the 12 HO800. So I'm thinking maybe Polaris retuned the clutch slightly looser on the HO800's to work in a slightly higher powerband possibly.

Thing is my 12 HO 800 which still uses the stock HO camshaft, has a 11:1 82mm big bore kit and crank works 79.5mm stroked crank giving about 845cc from the stock 760cc. The over 10% increase in displacement without going to a larger cam will actually pull down the powerband some and I feel like the entire clutching set up is too "loose" for the increased low-midrange torque of the greater engine displacement.

It's like it has all the extra power/torque over a regular or HO800 but doesn't get it to the ground, as the clutch doesn't grab low/early enough.
That 12 model needs more flyweight.

On the dates, its 10/1/09 before and after. You will just have to look at yours and see which one it has

·
Vendor
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What's the drawback of using to much weight on the Dalton kit? I've never been able to get my kit dialed in for over 6 months now. I run 29.5 terms with the heavy secondary spring. I bought the kit from you. I finally gave up and added 3 set screws to each weight. Been like that for 6 months.
I would want you to call me, that sounds like too much weight. You should have had it dialed in, in like 30 min.

Call me after you get shift speed. With those huge tires you probably won't get 6200 but if we can get you to 6000 I would be happy with it.

Todd

·
Vendor
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thing is I never go wide open throttle. I rarely get my rzr over 20mph. The 7900 rpm I observed was only about a 30 yard run. It may go higher I just didn't let it. I'll call you tomorrow.
I hear this all the time but when we are doing clutching we need to know top speed, top speed rpm and shift speed rpm, it tells us the health of the vehicle itself or whether you have other issues that need to be addressed or not.

Example: If right now no matter what you do it won't pull say over 5700 period you are down on power and need to figure out why. If you are down on power up top then you are down on power down low too so you are leaving some power on the table.

Make sense?

Todd

·
Vendor
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Please do a video explaining shift speed. I'm sure it would help others besides me.
I don't think you would be able to hear me, all the video would be of is the tach while it being floored.

You can always just video your tach while doing this email it to me and I can tell you.

Todd

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Todd where should I check my shift speed? The road or a field? Seems like mine levels off at 7800 and precedes to top end at 8200-8400. I'm not 100% sure I'm Reading the tach at the right moment. This is on the road in 4wd 100% traction.

900xp with Polaris stage 2 rolling on 30" blackwater Evolutions
Double down intake
Dalton kit with one long set screw and big tire spring.

·
Vendor
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Todd where should I check my shift speed? The road or a field? Seems like mine levels off at 7800 and precedes to top end at 8200-8400. I'm not 100% sure I'm Reading the tach at the right moment. This is on the road in 4wd 100% traction.

900xp with Polaris stage 2 rolling on 30" blackwater Evolutions
Double down intake
Dalton kit with one long set screw and big tire spring.
I would do it on a dirt road in 2wd

That RPM is low, hard to say if it is low power due to some engine issue or the due to the load of the large tires

Top speed RPM is a the number #1 way to decide if you have low power because top speed rpm is not affected by the clutch set up much because once the belt has fully shifted out the tuning components don't play a role

Whatever you do, do not drill out the rivet in the flyweight if you are going to play with the clutch

If you can't figure it out, call me monday

Todd

·
Registered
616 Posts
I ordered the dalton kit from Hunterworks.com. is anybody else using this kit with an xp900 4 seater with 28 inch roctanes? Hot did you set yours up? I ordered the big tire spring. The website says special instructions for the 4 seater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts