Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’ve seen a bunch of gossip about clutch problems in the pro. I think that it’s over blown, that one guy posts up a clutch problem on different sites, then other guys start talking about all the clutch problems they’ve heard about.
If you yourself have had clutch problems or you know someone that you have actually seen their clutch problems postup. Please don’t postup stuff you have seen on the internet. If you have had a problem say what it is, and what it took to get it fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just took mine out for the first run, followed the two tank break in instruction. All was good, about 150 miles in on the second day the belt started slipping. At first I thought I was just spinning the wheels on gravel or hard pack, but after testing on pavement with full traction I get the same result. As soon as the boost builds it slips and instantly you smell a strong burning smell. I’m pretty upset with how expensive this unit was, dropped it off at the dealer today so we will see what they say.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,083 Posts
Not a PXP Owner ( yet... ).... but I follow a lot of media platforms about RZRs..... my current count is 6 different cases of clutch failure that I’ve seen.

Also at least 20 with the intake tube collapsing problem.

That being said, I have one friend with a new ultimate, he’s at 300 miles, zero issues, and I’ve seen countless people posting with no issues as well... to me that’s normal Polaris.... there’s just some bad ones that come off the line.... gotta keep your fingers crossed when you buy one... but I still feel that at least 95% are no issue machines.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally I believe it comes down to dealer prep. Bought my 2018 xpt4 from ivan stewart motorsports...zero issues

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Personally I believe it comes down to dealer prep. Bought my 2018 xpt4 from ivan stewart motorsports...zero issues
What? That makes no sense. It has nothing to do with dealers. Dealers don't prep the clutches. Dealers receive a rzr that is like 98% ready. They have to install the cage, check to make sure everything is properly torqued and properly lubed. Make sure your seat belts, lights, etc are working correctly. Not much beyond that. All they really are doing is a safety check.

When someone gets a rzr with issues it is because of quality control at the factory. A given part slipped through QC that shouldn't have. Just bad luck on the buyer's end that they are the one who happened to purchase the rzr with the given bad component. Absolutely nothing to do with what dealer you bought from.

Now where a good dealer does come in is when you do have an issue. They have a competent team who can fix it and fight Polaris on your behalf to resolve the issue in a quick and timely manner on Polaris's dime and not yours.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What? That makes no sense. It has nothing to do with dealers. Dealers don't prep the clutches. Dealers receive a rzr that is like 98% ready. They have to install the cage, check to make sure everything is properly torqued and properly lubed. Make sure your seat belts, lights, etc are working correctly. Not much beyond that. All they really are doing is a safety check.

When someone gets a rzr with issues it is because of quality control at the factory. A given part slipped through QC that shouldn't have. Just bad luck on the buyer's end that they are the one who happened to purchase the rzr with the given bad component. Absolutely nothing to do with what dealer you bought from.

Now where a good dealer does come in is when you do have an issue. They have a competent team who can fix it and fight Polaris on your behalf to resolve the issue in a quick and timely manner on Polaris's dime and not yours.
That's how it works... Now if we could just get more of those good dealers. There are too many of them out there that once you sign the check it's on to the next fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was at sxsblog race last weekend, aftermarket assassin's pro xp primary clutch exploded. Took out inner and outer cover and secondary as well. Wish I would have taken a picture.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have about 200 miles on mine now and haven't had any clutch problems. :scared2: I have the AA stage II installed and like the power bump. Guess my real test will be when I drop it in the Glamis dunes on the 25th. :confused: I hope I didn't drink the Kool Aid and put too much faith in Polaris that they really addressed the clutch issues. They claim double the belt life.....:popcorn:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve got about 100 miles on mine with no clutch problems. I broke it in real easy for first 3 hrs. Only issue is airbox intake tube was collapsing under hard acceleration. Bent some wire into a spring and put it in intake tube where it comes around shock and solved the problem. Had called 2 different shops and they had not heard of that problem.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have about 200 miles on mine now and haven't had any clutch problems. :scared2: I have the AA stage II installed and like the power bump. Guess my real test will be when I drop it in the Glamis dunes on the 25th. :confused: I hope I didn't drink the Kool Aid and put too much faith in Polaris that they really addressed the clutch issues. They claim double the belt life.....:popcorn:

Hey Brent, just curious, with 200 miles and no problems why have you already put in a aftermarket clutch? What is the power bump you mentioned?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,083 Posts

Hey Brent, just curious, with 200 miles and no problems why have you already put in a aftermarket clutch? What is the power bump you mentioned?

Pretty sure he’s referring to a stage II tune, & running the stock clutching

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Registered
791 Posts

Pretty sure he’s referring to a stage II tune, & running the stock clutching

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )
Duh! Got it, Thanks!:smile

·
Registered
561 Posts

Yes I'm running the stock clutch with the AA (Aftermarket Assassins) Stage II ECU flash 10-12 HP bump.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Yes I'm running the stock clutch with the AA (Aftermarket Assassins) Stage II ECU flash 10-12 HP bump.
That’s great news. I don’t have to be limited to 84 mph (86 mph downhill). Fan comes on sooner too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took mine out for the first run, followed the two tank break in instruction. All was good, about 150 miles in on the second day the belt started slipping. At first I thought I was just spinning the wheels on gravel or hard pack, but after testing on pavement with full traction I get the same result. As soon as the boost builds it slips and instantly you smell a strong burning smell. I’m pretty upset with how expensive this unit was, dropped it off at the dealer today so we will see what they say.
Mine did this exact same thing I waited till about 80 miles before I got on it, not all the way to the floor it took of like a rocket in comparison to my 17xp1k. Then I waited for a while and the next day I figured the belt had probably had enough miles on it to start getting after it a little harder and it did the exact same thing the boost would start building and then it would slip and smell like thick burning rubber. Continued riding being more gentle later in the evening going from a dead stop gently accelerating to around 20 mph as to not roost the guys that were stopped next to me I laid in to the throttle again and when it got in to high boost it started to slip again followed by a loud slap/ break noise thought it was the belt. Gently applied throttle and it still accelerates but wasn't going to chance it any longer final belt episode was about 112miles. Got home pulled the clutch cover of for a quick inspection of the belt and belt still looks great no missing pieces and nothing laying in the clutch cover. Talked with my dealer and he told me to just monitor it for a while and see if it gets worse and he would reach out to Polaris when he opens tomorrow.

·
Standard Vendor
1,480 Posts
Hey guys.... if the intake tube to the air filter seems to be an issue maybe we can help. We stock high end duct that is wire reinforced and rated for vacuum. We cuff all of our ducts in house and can make them any length you want. Haven't had a chance to look at the tube, so if someone wants to work with us on the diameter and length give us a shout. Also might be looking to work with someone on our CVT "Blaster" for the Pro.... We are close on fitment on the cover, but need some finish work on mounting our prefilter. Might not be possible with the new bed design, but looks like our under cowl set up will work.
Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read another site saying they attribute the clutch problem on the 2 seat PRO XP to the spring in the clutch system (the one that pushes against the sheaves). At higher rates of speed or under heavy load the belt becomes semi loose and starts bouncing with slack. Supposedly the spring is stiffer in the 4 seat version applying more pressure to the sheaves, therefore more tension on the belt. It will be interesting to see if the 4 seat has any concerns with the clutch too. I wish I remembered the website, sorry guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Pro with 5 miles and have have also had clutch problem with the belt slipping at higher speed and in the boost. It will not slip when taking off from a dead stop. Smokes the tires with no issue. Also smelled belt during slip. Pulled the cover and no visual issues to the belt it was not even hot to the touch. Pulled the primary tower cap in inspected no issues. Pulled the driven and and found a small black line in the center bottom of the driven just passed the bottom of the shelve angle above the helix. I Marked both sides of the primary and the secondary with a marker. Installed the belt and ran it up in park a few times. pulled the belt and both clutches and took them apart. What I found was and the black marker verified the primary was running the belt out (to high) of the sheave by about a 1/8 in and driving the belt down too far in the secondary. the reason for the black line above the helix. Contacted local dealer. Same as always never heard of the issue. Bring it in for a month. I asked to go to the exploded parts list on the primary clutch. Low and behold found a speed washer or shim under the spring was missing from my primary. Why it is missing I don't know. Back to others post QAQC probably. This shim prevents the primary sheaves from closing too much on the belt and raising it out too high out of the sheaves. The parts guy could not tell me the thickness so I ordered two. The parts should be in on Thursday and I will install on Friday. I will follow up on this post with the out come........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any off idle improvements with ECU tune ? Also, is performance improvement barely or very noticeable ... Any diff in running temps ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts