Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read several threads, but I cant really seem to find a answer to my particular scenario.

2018 xpt4 with turbo S 32 inch tires and rims, super ATV stage 2 tuner side from that the drivetrain is stock.

Since adding the 32 inch tires there is a noticable lag in acceleration and top speed. What would I benefit the most from, a clutch kit or gear reduction(12%?) The budget currently only allows for one of the two at the moment

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The Turbo S comes with 32s. Gear reduction an clutches are often confused as doing the same thing when in reality they are completing different and achieve different results. Gear reduction is for larger tires and reduces the strain on the engine. Clutching is for power throughout the rpm range. It's bit more complicated but that's it in a nut shell. Personally, the 18+ models are geared too high for 32+ tires. You will noticed a big difference with a gear reduction and the stock clutch. Down the road you can change the clutch if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I am not the expert on this but I would recommend searching ...Gear reduction and Gear reduction master sheet , lots of info on the subject
I have a 2018 XPT most all power mods, stage 3 etc , on 32s ..... I have tried 4 different clutch kits and MANY setting with each kit. I also did the gear reduction 12% high 12 % reverse 30% in Low . I maybe slightly off on the numbers but close.

My simple quick answer is ...if you mainly run in High gear and you are not under a major load like, a lot of slow crawling and such, then just go with the clutch kit. I highly recommend the SLP kit.

Later if you decide you want the gear reduction for more LOW range usability, then you haven't wasted your money , the clutch kit will still be a benefit and needed

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Joe is right... and I might be right on what would be best to do first? But it also depends on your riding style and terrain. I mean, if you are just running in the dunes / desert or high range riding then I think you might be better off with the SLP clutch.
I love my gear reduction, manly in low range and reverse and . I would not go back to stock gearing. If you have the funds do both.

·
Registered
186 Posts
are you mechanically inclined? The gear reduction is $200 and although invasive you can DIY in a weekend. I just did mine in a day and I’d never split the cases before and I’m also running 32’s but on a mechanically stock xp41k. Very little acceleration loss. I’d say none, but there is still a lot of extra rotating mass to deal with

·
Registered
8 Posts
I run 32's and although there is a loss of initial launch, I still have plenty of power. If you primarily run desert, like ocotillo wells, you may consider upgrading your rear axles first if you haven't yet, or next time you throw a belt try hunterworks. Lots of threads on broken axles, specially with 32s... I'm currently changing my axles before messing with my clutch or gear reduction. Again as stated on another post, it really depends on your riding. I only chimed in because I go to Ocotillo Wells pretty often so I ride similar terrain. I did add trinity exhaust and Dynojet tune...

I Love New Parts,

Roy

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Personally on a XPT I would not run anything but an OEM belt. The stock XPT axles are fairly strong and hold up well but Rhino 2.0s are a good upgrade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have stage 2 tune, and aftermarket exhaust...it has power but clearly not what it had with the stock tires on it. I ride hard and so far knock on wood nothing broken. I changed the stock belt at 1000 miles and went with hunter works now the oem is my spare. To be fair I do not have but 30 min. On it after the tune though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts