Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have issues when putting my 2013 XP 4 900 into any gear. It bucks repeatedly until I get moving, then everything works fine.

Video of the problem is here: It starts off with the car in High then I have the driver shift to Reverse. Happens both ways:

It has been this way for a while. I had a buddy who owns an auto shop and works on snowmobiles rebuild the clutch and he got it working OK, but said it was probably going to need to be replaced. It worked OK for just a little while and went to crap again. He said the aluminum in the primary itself is worn.

My riding is only on stock sized tires. I mainly due a couple trips to the dunes each year with paddles, and get out a few times a year in trails - more low speed kind of stuff.

Just double checking on the diagnosis if anyone has seen this before. Also, I was looking to just buy a replacement primary clutch, no clutch kits or anything. I am fine with the performance of the machine for what it is and am not looking to upgrade anything unless it was a very low incremental cost over just replacing the clutch.

I see that Hunterworks carries a new primary for about 549 but these are on ebay for 250 to 300. Anyone had success with these or any lower cost aftermarket clutch?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Primary-Drive-Clutch-For-Polaris-RZR900-900XP-XP-4-2011-2012-2013-2014/183904795118?hash=item2ad19479ee:g:D0kAAOSwEJZdRVZ4

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,109 Posts
It's most likely the primary center bearing has gone bad, especially if the secondary is spinning while in Neutral or Park, which I'd guess it is. If it's been rebuilt and already started again, I think replacing the whole clutch is probably a good plan, sounds like it has a decent amount of wear regardless.

Personally, I'd stay away from those $250-300 eBay clutches, too good to be true, and you get what you pay for. Rocky Mountain ATV & Polaris Partshouse usually have the best prices on OEM parts, RM has it currently at $498.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...looks like Rocky Mountain has two options:

Part - 1322971- ASM-DRIVE CLUTCH,BASIC,BEARING | [INCL. 2-16][BUILT 2/01/13 AND BEFORE]

Part - 1323112 ASM-DRIVE CLUTCH,BASIC,BEARING | [INCL. 2-16][BUILT 2/02/13 AND AFTER]

On my clutch there is a sticker that states:

2012-07-17 - 09.38.28.7730

Thoughts?

Also, should I do the secondary as well, just for good measure? 2550 Miles, 175 hours on the RZR.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK....I looked up my VIN on the Polaris web site and looks like the original owner bought this in 2012 so it must be the first one...

Model Name
RZR XP 4 EPS Black/White/Red LE
Model Year
Model Number
R13XT9EAK
Purchase Date
11/2/2012

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,109 Posts
Yessir, that would be the first one.

Secondary wouldn’t be a terrible idea, but probably not completely necessary unless you can see obvious signs of wear in the bushings / sliders / sheaves / housing

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine was doing the same the primary bearing was bad. And my clutch was out of alignment. Replaced the bearing with hunter works 2 way bearing and smooth now. Just a tip the tools to replace the bearing total up to over $200. Plus you need a bench and torque wrench that will hold 300 ftlbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts