Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to change out the belt on my 09 RZR 800. After reading much about the rear clutch cover to engine seal leaking, I decided to pull the primary and secondary and re seal everything.

Now that I have the backing plate of the clutch cover off, the engine side of it is obvious: clean off existing RTV and re-apply new RTV.

On the transmission side, however, it looks as if they use the outer diameter of the input shaft seal to seal to the clutch housing. It's blue like RTV, but it looks like it is actually part of the input shaft seal.

So...what is everyone doing to seal the transmission side? Clean the blue seal and apply silicone grease? Clean the blue portion of the seal and apply RTV over the blue? Remove blue from input shaft seal and apply RTV?

Also, any good way to remove the factory blue RTV from the engine side without damaging the clutch housing?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cleaned off all the old blue sealant (that was doing NOTING on my 2012, they completely missed the groove) and used right stuff to seal it all back up. I put right stuff in both grooves on the back of the plastic housing, made sure not to over do it so it wouldn't smush out everywhere. I used a small flat head screw driver, a soft brass wire brush, and a stiff nylon brush to clean all the old stuff off. Wiped it down with alcohol after to get all the grease from my hands off and make a good seal.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned off all the old blue sealant (that was doing NOTING on my 2012, they completely missed the groove) and used right stuff to seal it all back up. I put right stuff in both grooves on the back of the plastic housing, made sure not to over do it so it wouldn't smush out everywhere. I used a small flat head screw driver, a soft brass wire brush, and a stiff nylon brush to clean all the old stuff off. Wiped it down with alcohol after to get all the grease from my hands off and make a good seal.
Thanks, Joel.

Did you remove the blue from the transmission side too? It looks like it is part of the seal so I haven't touched it yet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I didn't have any around the outside lip on mine. That's where they had completely missed the groove. I remember seeing something blue inside around the input shaft, i assumed that was a seal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used Red High temp silicone and completely filled the trough on the motor side. I let it sit for about 15 min to let it stiffen up. On the tranny side I used PFPE synthetic lube to seal the clutch cover to the external oil seal on the input shaft. This lube is thick and wont harden but it won't run when hot. I use it on my air filter seal also. We did about 2 miles of submarine riding this past weekend and belt stayed dry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's made by loctite brand name Krytox RFE
PFPE Lubricant. I use it on O rings and mechanical seals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts