Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a spin in a 2011 EPS rzr 4 over the weekend and notice on decel (if I don't touch the brakes) just about 5mph - 0 there's a grinding/clicking sound coming from the rear...I'm not sure I pinpointed its location. It only starts at about the 5mph mark and goes away just before coming to a stop???

I thought maybe the clutch/belt or something in there, but we pulled the cover off and everything was in spec.

We then put the cover back on, kept the plastic firewall thingy off along with the back seats out to see if we could get a better idea of where the noise was coming. We thought maybe rear diff/CV's etc but when jacked up and throttle applied and then rolled out to stop there was no sound???

Seems to only be under load/the weight of the machine.

So a few more zips up and down the street and the same thing....if the brake is applied it only happens 1/2 as much if at all?

It almost seemed like it was coming from the engine itself, or the heads or something. But that doesn't make sense that with the brake applied it barely if ever happened, or if it did it was short lived as compared to coasting to a stop.

Has anyone had a similar issue? It has less then 5 miles on it btw.

Thanks

·
Banned
399 Posts
Sounds like rear brakes. they chadder around it's normal if that is what it is. Jack it up and grab the rear brake caliper and wiggle it.It will make a chader noise.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
Sounds like rear brakes. they chadder around it's normal if that is what it is. Jack it up and grab the rear brake caliper and wiggle it.It will make a chader noise.
now if its the brakes their is a adjusment for the rear pad clearance

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we thought it might be the rear pads or caliper, but sounded more like it was coming from the engine. We'll check the calipers again.

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We called a few dealers in the area and they said that it was the belt/sheeves and all of the 2011 rzrs/rzr4s they have make the same noise?

If this is the case, there have to be more 011 owners out there that have heard this sound....no?

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron, how many miles/hours do you have on yours? Does the noise go away if you use the brake pedal vs. just letting it coast?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I only have 8 hrs on her. Has done that from day one. I think it goes away when braking, but I'll have to take her out tonight to be sure. This is my first RZR and just getting use to the different nioses. I'll let you know

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, from what we've been told, its normal and braking cuts down on the frequency and severity

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jeephreak, I just took her out and the noise starts around 15 mph and does not go away with applying breaks. Only when the engine rpm slows down at slower speeds. .

H

·
0 Posts
We called a few dealers in the area and they said that it was the belt/sheeves and all of the 2011 rzrs/rzr4s they have make the same noise?

If this is the case, there have to be more 011 owners out there that have heard this sound....no?
The 2011 looks to share the same clutching and belt with the 2010s...and my 2010 doesn't do what you are describing..
My first guess was brakes..I've had ithappen on other machines before..the pads click if they are loose,they jump around and catch on the holes "drilled" in the rotor...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Applying the brakes while the noise is doing it's thing has no effect on it. Noise is still there. At least on my ride.

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeephreak, I just took her out and the noise starts around 15 mph and does not go away with applying breaks. Only when the engine rpm slows down at slower speeds. .
Interesting...I'll be curious to see how it pans out with this machine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Here's the fix. Jack it up rotate rear tires back and forth and u will hear the clicking sound. Put high temp silicone behind the brakes and then reinstall. I think it's a 6mm Allen wrench that u use to adjust the brakes. Tighten brakes until tires does not move then adjust till brakes barely drag. That should fix it. Mine did it first mile and now 800 miles later and no clicking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts