Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else getting sick of seeing really nice, 50" trails, get ruined by big fat wide RZR's and X3's going through them and now they are wide enough for a pickup truck to fit through ?/

Finland trails in northern MN is a good example.

I was there 10 years ago, really nice trails.

went there last summer, could have fit my pickup truck through

·
Mr. & Mrs. PewPewPew
784 Posts
This is occurring everywhere. In Utah, there was a Toyota Tacoma riding around on the UTV trails and the Ranger was ticked off about it but did nothing. He said the USFS is directing them to widen trails, at least in Utah, to accommodate the trend that the X3 started and the Turbo S is carrying forward. The only thing that gets me are the ruts the wider ones are creating on the wet trails, are so wide, our 64” and 60” wide RZR’s are falling in while riding fast which can cause a dangerous situation FAST.

The genie is out of the bottle now so grousing about it wont fix it at this point. I guess we all need Jeeps haha.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks ... you loose something when the trail is 12 feet wide , hard to explain , it just doesn't feel "fun" anymore ..

Just feels like driving a car down a paved road now .. almost like work.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just think of all the money you'd save if you bought a JEEP.:crying

·
Registered
216 Posts
It’s getting harder to find tight trails. In the south the tires keep getting bigger and bigger to where you need a purpose built machine to trail ride. 40+ bkts are getting common. Trails I rode on a banshee 10 years ago now a a challenge in a lifted rzr.

·
Registered
31 Posts
100% agree. Bought my 50 inch to be able to still enjoy the few narrow trails that are out west. I still ride dirt bikes and a group of us lease 1000 acres down here in Texas to ride on. Use to let atv's ride but they didn't want to stay on their designated trails. Let our first sxs rider on the property and explained to him that he had to stay on the few two track trails that go around the property. Only took 30 minutes and we found him turned up on two wheels wedged between two tress trying to get down a single track trail. Had to ban them all. A few places I have been to in the mid west, such as Arkansas, that are fed,blm or state property have written policies at the trailhead that state when the have to repair the current 50 inch trail it is to be widened to accommodate bigger machines.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much does it cost to lease 1000 acres ?

I always said I wish I could just buy enough land, make my own 50" trails, and be in paradise !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think there should be trails for everyone. Single track, 50", 72", Jeep, bicycle, hiking. There is enough land for all of us if we all stick together. But so many people think that their form of outdoor enjoyment is the only one that should exist!
You’re right about this. I don’t want to drive my RZR on 20ft wide gravel roads, and I don’t want to hike on 50” trails. Trails are more fun when they're just wide enough whether you’re on foot or in a Jeep. Good to have different size restrictions as long as there’re enough for everyone to enjoy!

·
Registered
138 Posts
absolutely. when i first came here i was searching for the right rzr for me... pretty much my only REAL requirement was that it was a 50" model. naturally i got some jackass telling me im an idiot and i should just get a 60" and bash through stuff and make my trails 50".

what really sucks is i still ride a sport quad around, and wide trails are super boring on those.

i largely blame the manufacturers for generally turning away from 50" machines. and why wouldnt they. when youve got a ton of rzrs sitting as garage queens in suburban homes, who cares?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You know, all that said (above), where we ride on the East coast is either private parks or trail systems like HMT that cater to whoever is going to pay to ride. And the fact is the wider machines simply outperform the narrow machines in MOST situations. If I lived in a place that offered lots of width-restricted trails, I would go that route, but it’s not necessary where I mostly ride. The HMT trails for example are wide enough for a 72” machine, but still a blast on a quad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know, all that said (above), where we ride on the East coast is either private parks or trail systems like HMT that cater to whoever is going to pay to ride. And the fact is the wider machines simply outperform the narrow machines in MOST situations. If I lived in a place that offered lots of width-restricted trails, I would go that route, but it’s not necessary where I mostly ride. The HMT trails for example are wide enough for a 72” machine, but still a blast on a quad.
an f350 with 50" super swampers will outperform a 60" rzr in a mudhole, but that doesnt mean we should widen all of our trails to accommodate full size pickups..

and sure, 72" trails are still fun on quads, but that doesnt mean they werent a whole lot more fun before they were widened.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
an f350 with 50" super swampers will outperform a 60" rzr in a mudhole, but that doesnt mean we should widen all of our trails to accommodate full size pickups..

and sure, 72" trails are still fun on quads, but that doesnt mean they werent a whole lot more fun before they were widened.
Agreed. My point on HMT is that if they restricted it to 50” they’d lose the majority of the tourism that they bring in. That’s all. If I were a wealthier man, I’d have at least 4 or 5 RZRs, one for every type of trail, from 50” to a full-blown KOH-style racecar. I’ve been on trails with my XP where I thought a smaller, more nimble machine would be a better choice here, and others where I’ve thought bigger tires and more suspension would be great right now. I think both the S and XP do a pretty good job of bridging that gap, but I suppose that’s a whole other topic.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agreed. My point on HMT is that if they restricted it to 50” they’d lose the majority of the tourism that they bring in. That’s all. If I were a wealthier man, I’d have at least 4 or 5 RZRs, one for every type of trail, from 50” to a full-blown KOH-style racecar. I’ve been on trails with my XP where I thought a smaller, more nimble machine would be a better choice here, and others where I’ve thought bigger tires and more suspension would be great right now. I think both the S and XP do a pretty good job of bridging that gap, but I suppose that’s a whole other topic.
idk, maybe... i wonder how much trail availability dictates the machines people buy. in restricted states people flock to the 50" machines. if that was more common i think it would push the market in that direction. and i think it would be better for the sport/hobby too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The narrow trails cut out entire segments of riders. There are so many families with 4 seaters that it’s a shame they can’t ride. There is no logical reason for the restrictions. We should be looking to include everyone; it is in the long term interest. Trails are closing everywhere, and the first step is restricting use to certain classes and causing conflicts. The wider SxSs are generally safer. I started out with a 50” RZR, which would roll over when the wind blew. I was with a group of quads, and watched at least six injury crashes. For what it’s worth.

·
Registered
216 Posts
if You follow this logic of make it wide enough for the “safer family machines” it would only take a very slight bit more width to fit a Jeep. At some point we need to say there is cutoff. An xp on portals (64+8) or a 72 S. I enjoy going in the woods, I can ride dirt roads in my truck. We currently have 2 50+4 inch rzrs for family machines. Nothing wrong with a bigger machine, I would just like to see a max, 50, 60, 65, whatever they decide but make a limit at trail systems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts