Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is possible to chop a RZR4 stock cage without bending any pipe? I was told is was possible, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how.

·
Family, it's about time
1,503 Posts
Is is possible to chop a RZR4 stock cage without bending any pipe? I was told is was possible, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how.
I didn't bend any tubing when I did mine. I had a thread on this in the RZR4 specific section. I'll look for it. I can give you a walk through of it. It wasn't that difficult at all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see that it looks like there are 7 cuts:

Cut #1 & #2, just above the bend in the center support, right and left side

Cut #3 & #4, just above the bend on the rear support, right and left side

Cut #5, vertical cut in the center of the rear cross member

Cut #6 & #7, top of vertical supports for rear cross member

Are there any more that I didn't see?

How much did you cut out on cut #1 & #2?

How much on cut #3 and #4?

Cut #5 looks as though it gets an additional piece added?

The front section of the cage, from where it bolts near the hood to where it bolts to the center section, is unaltered, correct? If so, how do you get the center chopped center section to line up with the unaltered front section? By lowering the center support, it would seem that it would no longer line up with the unaltered front piece.

·
Family, it's about time
1,503 Posts
I see that it looks like there are 7 cuts:

Cut #1 & #2, just above the bend in the center support, right and left side

Cut #3 & #4, just above the bend on the rear support, right and left side

Cut #5, vertical cut in the center of the rear cross member

Cut #6 & #7, top of vertical supports for rear cross member

Are there any more that I didn't see?

How much did you cut out on cut #1 & #2?

How much on cut #3 and #4?

Cut #5 looks as though it gets an additional piece added?

The front section of the cage, from where it bolts near the hood to where it bolts to the center section, is unaltered, correct? If so, how do you get the center chopped center section to line up with the unaltered front section? By lowering the center support, it would seem that it would no longer line up with the unaltered front piece.
The front section is unaltered yes. I cut 2.5 inches from the middle 2 vertical supports. You want to cut above and below the bend so that when it drops down they line up. The 2 rear vertical bars were cut 4.5 inches I believe. On the rears you want to cut maybe 1.75 from the top of the bend and the other 2.75 from the bottom. I just cut 2.25 from top and bottom but then they didn't line up when I dropped them down so I had to cut the rear horizontal bar to allow the vertical bars to seperate and line up. If you cut how I suggested instead of how I did it it would be real close to lining right up without cutting that rear bar.
Now make these cuts then undo the joints in the horizontal bars above the front seats. Set the rear section up where you want it and then cut the 2 horizontal pieces with the bungs on them right where they meet up with the other cross bar. Then hold them up there and figure out how much you need to trim them to line up the front section with the lowered cage. You can also loosen up the a pillar bungs slightly to line the two sections up.
I would highly recommend sticking in a few pieces of 1.5 inch tubing inside of all your joints. This allows you to weld on a higher setting and penetrate clear through. It also means your joints don't have to line up perfectly because you will have that sleeve as a backer. I actually left a good 1/8 inch gap on my joints to make sure I got a good bead on all 3 pieces.
Just go slow, measure twice cut once. Is is a little nerve racking hacking on your 15000 machine, but when you are finished you'll realize it wasn't that hard. Besides if you screw up I bet you could find someones take off cage for next to nothing.

P.s. I'm thinking of making some more changes on mine and making it look more like a custom cage. When and if i do I will do a write up.

·
Family, it's about time
1,503 Posts
Your post was a big help with my chop. Thanks
Looks much better now. Any trouble with the hard top mounting? I still am kicking around the idea of raising my front section up a couple inches to get a better viewing area for duning and to give it a cleaner look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts