Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my exhaust to an SLP slip on. After about 25 miles with it I started hearing a chirping noise similar to the bearing going out on the primary clutch. After further investigation I learned that the exhaust itself was responsible for the chirp. I took it off and put the stock exhaust back on and I couldn’t hear the chirping anymore. I can’t tell if it’s the exhaust itself or if it’s vibrating something. Has anybody had similar experience with aftermarket exhaust? Any ideas where the potential chirping may be coming from?

·
Can't 'Member.
702 Posts
May have the answer for you. My car was doing the same thing with the stock exhaust.
Start it up and let it idle with the noise working, then push down on the plastic above the left rear tail light....if the noise changes look at the heat shield under the left side..it is rubbing on a bracket that supports the rear plastic...this is what I found on mine anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I suspected initially. I put pressure on the heat shield and many other locations where the plastic meets the frame. I can’t get the noise to stop. I’ll keep searching, and report the solution if I find it. I’m still open to any other experiences. I understand that rzr’s are prone to unpleasant noises, but it still drives me nuts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine started doin this after i backed into a tree,i just figured it was my fault,but i need to investigate i guess.......i didnt hit tree hard at all but that noise started rite after

·
Can't 'Member.
702 Posts
Well this sound was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, it was unbearable.
If you bend down behind the left rear tire, and look above the muffler you will see the stack of various heat shields. One of them runs parallel to the ground, and it ends in a curve up. It appears to be aluminum, and unpainted.
Directly above this is a black metal brace that comes down from above angled to the rear, that locates the rear bodywork, this is in the area under the tail light. Once everything gets up to operating temps and expands, the curved portion of the heat shield contacts that bracket...the noise literally sounds like it is coming from everywhere, I think the harmonic translates through a lot of the tin work.
IF you guys can't find it with that description get someone else to push down on the bodywork while you look in the described location, you will find it. Worse case scenario I will snap a pic of it for ya. About 30 seconds with a pair of pliers and the nose is gone...forever...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well this sound was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, it was unbearable.
If you bend down behind the left rear tire, and look above the muffler you will see the stack of various heat shields. One of them runs parallel to the ground, and it ends in a curve up. It appears to be aluminum, and unpainted.
Directly above this is a black metal brace that comes down from above angled to the rear, that locates the rear bodywork, this is in the area under the tail light. Once everything gets up to operating temps and expands, the curved portion of the heat shield contacts that bracket...the noise literally sounds like it is coming from everywhere, I think the harmonic translates through a lot of the tin work.
IF you guys can't find it with that description get someone else to push down on the bodywork while you look in the described location, you will find it. Worse case scenario I will snap a pic of it for ya. About 30 seconds with a pair of pliers and the nose is gone...forever...
Good description! I should be able to find that,like u said,a lil fabricating and should solve the problem,thanks!

·
Can't 'Member.
702 Posts
I will check in tomorrow at some point and see if you guys need a pic. It is a wonderful thing to get rid of LOL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the heat shield and all the contacts points in the general area of exhaust the body and the frame I can’t get the chirping to stop. I can’t see any spots that are in contact with each other especially metal on metal. It sounds like it’s actually coming from the exhaust. There are two ports on the muffler, if I plug one of the ports the chirping stops. It’s got me dumbfounded. I’m considering buying another exhaust to see if it solves the issue. Like I said yesterday when I put a new exhaust on the chirping stopped. It sounds like the chirping you get when a bearing is going out on the primary clutch, or similar to that of a swamp Cooler with its bearings going out. Anybody ever experience something similar?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I checked the heat shield and all the contacts points in the general area of exhaust the body and the frame I can’t get the chirping to stop. I can’t see any spots that are in contact with each other especially metal on metal. It sounds like it’s actually coming from the exhaust. There are two ports on the muffler, if I plug one of the ports the chirping stops. It’s got me dumbfounded. I’m considering buying another exhaust to see if it solves the issue. Like I said yesterday when I put a new exhaust on the chirping stopped. It sounds like the chirping you get when a bearing is going out on the primary clutch, or similar to that of a swamp Cooler with its bearings going out. Anybody ever experience something similar?
If you PM me your phone number, I will take a picture of it now and send it to you. It was driving me crazy too. Hopefully it's the same thing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you PM me your phone number, I will take a picture of it now and send it to you. It was driving me crazy too. Hopefully it's the same thing.
Just sent the pictures and that wasn't it. But for anyone else having a similar issue, here's the common problem mentioned above. For me it was the heat shield touching the bracket supporting the rear plastics.

·
Can't 'Member.
702 Posts
Great pic Megabite, that is the culprit. I just bent the area pointing up the other way...it now points down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts