Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'18 XPT2
696 Posts
They just broke ground on the largest semiconductor manufacturing facility in the country near my home in AZ. It's a $35B project covering over 1100 acres. Supposed to create something like 20,000 jobs.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris RZR Turbo
22 Posts
They just broke ground on the largest semiconductor manufacturing facility in the country near my home in AZ. It's a $35B project covering over 1100 acres. Supposed to create something like 20,000 jobs.
This is awesome but ultimately i don’t think it will help the shortages auto and recreational manufacturers are currently facing. The main issue currently occurring is due to a chip shortage of a specific type. The chips they are using are based on very old standards that only a few manufactures still even produce due to still having the equipment to make them, resulting in the chips being very inexpensive to produce and sell.

I don’t see a brand new facility bringing in equipment just to produce these as it would be impossible to justify the cost.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know, a company willing to spend 35 Billion dollars wouldn't worry about the cost as long as the items are needed and selling, besides machines can be reconfigured later on to produce other product.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anything we can do to help end or minimize our dependence on China/Asia is a good thing. The new plant may or may not help in this particular situation but will certainly help other areas.

·
Registered
'18 XPT2
696 Posts
Anything we can do to help end or minimize our dependence on China/Asia is a good thing. The new plant may or may not help in this particular situation but will certainly help other areas.
This plant will be AZ based but it doesn't sound like the money is going to stay in the states. The name of the company building the "mega site" is Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. or TSMC.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris RZR Turbo
22 Posts
They are the largest player in the chip game. Hopefully they actually follow through with the plans, they did the same thing in Wisconsin a few years back and now a basically empty factory is just sitting there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should rename the title of this. I read the title and texted my wife to stock up on Doritos & Storm Chips.

·
Registered
'18 XPT2
696 Posts
They are the largest player in the chip game. Hopefully they actually follow through with the plans, they did the same thing in Wisconsin a few years back and now a basically empty factory is just sitting there.
I certainly hope not. The location of this is prime real estate. They keep adding to it as well. Mid last year, it was a $12B project. They expanded it late in the year to a $20B project and now they've purchased a lot more land and projected to be a $35B project.

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
689 Posts
The fallout from the chip shortage is eye-opening.

During the last couple of business trips, car rentals have been amazingly expensive...so much so that the car rental has been triple the cost of the airfare.

Last year, all the car rental companies sold off most of their rolling stock to make ends meet. Now demand is up, and they can't buy new cars to have in inventory (chip shortage). Hence $$$$

All the best, James

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised at how well my 3/4 ton held its resale value. Then, I rushed out shopping for a new one ton and found out why! LOL I'm glad I didn't sell my 3/4 ton.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts