Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - Newbie here with a few questions. Shopping SxS's and I am a bit torn. It will be my wife, boy (18mo now), and myself along for the ride. We plan to do prob 80% trails 20% dunes. I really don't want a 4 seater as it will eat up most of my space in my toy hauler and I feel my little guy will feel more included if he is up front. I realize he will out grow the center seating arrangement at some point but I will cross that bridge later. I have my eye on a 900S as a contender and my question is - are others out there riding 3 deep ( using the aftermarket jump seat or bench seat ) and enjoying the experience?

BTW I'm not trying to get crazy with a young kid on board - ex MX racer here so I know my limits..

Thanks Again..

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I have 2 daughters 11 and 12. As memory serves, about 3 weeks ago they were the age of your little one. I know you say "someday he'll outgrow it" but truth is, he'll outgrow it it REALLY fast and you'll be left with a vehicle that you can't drive with the family.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I agree, they grow up FAST! Some states are very particular about passenger seating requirements too.

"Back in the day", I used to putt around with my 18 month old in front of me, on my Honda 200X 3 wheeler, with no helmets. I was only going about 5MPH, so I felt the risk was at a minimum.

Personally, I'd just pony up and buy the 4 seater, you might already have another child on the way... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points for sure - I guess I figured I trade up to 4 seater in 4-5 years or mamma and kid would be in the RZR and me on bike or quad. My buddy rented a 900-4 this summer and his kids where young ( 2 & 4) and didn't like the back seat ( couldn't see ) - I don't want the same problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get a 4 seater and a toddler car seat. My son is 2.5 years old and this was the only way I felt safe with him in it. I use 2 straps for the car seat and just strap it in.he goes in the front if my wife isn't with me and in the back if she is. He doesn't care where I put him, haha. He was about 19 months when these pics were taken.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Using a UTVGiant middle seat here in the 900 XC. 4-seater wouldn't work for me either. Won't fit in the back of the truck or on most of the tight trails on the east cost!

...Tools ...Toys (same thing) :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on this: I just hate all the folks saying get the 4 seater, they are way more money, not as fun to drive, not fun to ride in the back seat, and just huge to drive through the woods, just pointless to me. I just bought a RZR s 900 and was thinking of putting the jump seat in it for my daughter who is 4, but haven't pulled the trigger yet as the season is almost over up north and I am guessing she will out grow it soon. We kept my ATV so we just trade off who drives/rides what, so we all get a great experience. And the purpose of the SxS was so my kids could see the trail as we are driving and prepare for bumps, not sit in the back seat in Lala land... Another option you could look at is the Ranger XP, not quite the suspension, but can hold 3 in the cab. I did see on the trails I think a Yamaha something that looked sporty with 3 seats in the front, but that thing was wide. (oh the guy did say the airbox was in a bad spot or something like that too) Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 7 year old still uses his center jump seat with 5 point harness. At 5 years old I made a footrest for him in the cup holder and now he can keep his feet on the floor. Works great for us.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 7 year old still uses his center jump seat with 5 point harness. At 5 years old I made a footrest for him in the cup holder and now he can keep his feet on the floor. Works great for us.
Hey Radiogeek do you have any picture of ur foot rest sounds pretty cool?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I've been doing it for a few years. Using utvgiant center seat. It's starting to get uncomfortable for us with him being there. So 4 seater this spring lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's my 2 cents.... My son is 8 (@ 80lbs) and my daughter is 4 (@ 40lbs). I'm not ready to give up my quad just quite yet. My wife and I both like to drive, anyway so a single machine won't work for us. My boy rides shotgun with Mom and my daughter rides in the middle seat. My son is a quad rider also, so it's often just my wife and daughter in the rzr. I figure that when my son steps up to a larger machine (currently a sportsman 90), he'll want to be in control of his own machine more and more than he does now, which is most of the time if it's an option. Anyhow, here's our setup.

And foot rest which had to be pink for my little girl!!

This works for us and I think I'll get by without having to get a 4 seater. She still has plenty of room to grow in the center seat also.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I built a handle bar setup, with foot legs for my sons. Bolts between the center seat and the center seat bracket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bought a 2 seater first then went to a four seater because we have a big family...the 4 seater lasted a season because everyone was getting sick so no one would ride anymore in the back so then I decided to go back to the 2 seater and ended up getting the 170

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Plan on riding in CA? If so, bump seats are illegal in utvs older than 2013. All depends on where you plan on riding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts