Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that haven't checked your newer machines over, check the intake hose connection at the prefilter housing. Under the left rear fender, the 3" tube connects to the prefilter housings' output flange via a wide rubber band gasket in between the tubes and a clamp over it. On mine, the gasket was not in the right spot to make it seal, and the clamp was loose.

I only noticed this after the first ride (very muddy) and wash off :sad: . Checking the air filter, I noticed it soaked with muddy water and the curvy part of the tube full of water! If that gasket and connection isn't good, a lot of water and mud gets sucked into the intake as it flings off the tire and drips off the fender.

Just a heads up for you newer owners like me. I think I am going to go over EVERYTHING on this machine tonight, just as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good point!
I went over all my units before the first real ride and had to fix quite a few odd and ends.

·
Registered
118 Posts
lots of loose n dangly pieces here too. realy liked the front diff vent tube wrapped into the winch spool

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I have a new 2013 570 with 25 miles on it. Do I just check every nut bolt and screw that I can see or are some places more likely to be a problem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
So I have a new 2013 570 with 25 miles on it. Do I just check every nut bolt and screw that I can see or are some places more likely to be a problem.
Check everything! My 2011 had loose bolts,missing airbox lid rubber gasket and the air filter had a tear in it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't had this happen to me but another thing to watch out for if you are jumping with an aftermarket tire is if you have taken the hose off its connection or I also broke the air box itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those of you that haven't checked your newer machines over, check the intake hose connection at the prefilter housing. Under the left rear fender, the 3" tube connects to the prefilter housings' output flange via a wide rubber band gasket in between the tubes and a clamp over it. On mine, the gasket was not in the right spot to make it seal, and the clamp was loose.

I only noticed this after the first ride (very muddy) and wash off :sad: . Checking the air filter, I noticed it soaked with muddy water and the curvy part of the tube full of water! If that gasket and connection isn't good, a lot of water and mud gets sucked into the intake as it flings off the tire and drips off the fender.

Just a heads up for you newer owners like me. I think I am going to go over EVERYTHING on this machine tonight, just as preventative maintenance.
Thanks for the advice! I'll get my brand new 570 tomorrow, please can you upload a photo of the piece to check? I'm french and i feel some kind of lost with some technical english words :) A photo would be great!
Thanks

·
Aussie nut case
361 Posts
Thanks, I will be going over mine in the next few days, my back wheel nuts were all loose so luckily I was changing the stock ones out for the rims off my old RZR & found they were almost only hand tight. I mean there is always going to be human error but when it concerns me & 1000 ft' cliffs, I was pretty pissed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the advice! I'll get my brand new 570 tomorrow, please can you upload a photo of the piece to check? I'm french and i feel some kind of lost with some technical english words :) A photo would be great!
Thanks
Here you go. Its the joint where the tubes meet, near the fender. All the other connections in the hoses for the air intake and trans air are all simple slip over connections. This one is hard plastic over hard plastic with a 1/2" wide rubber band gasket in between. It is just not well designed. When you slip the outer tube over the inner, it wants to push the gasket back, instead of it remaining under the tube where the little slots are cut. It is very difficult to assemble this joint properly, especially if you don't lube the outside of the rubber band. I used some silicone grease on it, and trimmed a little of the outer tube's corrugated edge, so I could see and be able to reach and hold back the band into the joint, as I assembled it. I found mine assembled with the gasket pushed back up the inner tube, and not sealing the joint at all. I was amazed at how much muddy water go into this tube from that little leaky joint!

Wide shot so you can see where I am looking:

Red arrows show the joint (mine may look a bit different if you look close, since I trimmed about 3/16" off the outer tube's edge):

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its interesting, my dealer told me that once a year I should disconnect these tubes, and the big on on the other side, take it all down, and blow it out. I guess this is some kind of prefilter to take out the big rocks, before the actual air filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks
Here you go. Its the joint where the tubes meet, near the fender. All the other connections in the hoses for the air intake and trans air are all simple slip over connections. This one is hard plastic over hard plastic with a 1/2" wide rubber band gasket in between. It is just not well designed. When you slip the outer tube over the inner, it wants to push the gasket back, instead of it remaining under the tube where the little slots are cut. It is very difficult to assemble this joint properly, especially if you don't lube the outside of the rubber band. I used some silicone grease on it, and trimmed a little of the outer tube's corrugated edge, so I could see and be able to reach and hold back the band into the joint, as I assembled it. I found mine assembled with the gasket pushed back up the inner tube, and not sealing the joint at all. I was amazed at how much muddy water go into this tube from that little leaky joint!

Wide shot so you can see where I am looking:

Red arrows show the joint (mine may look a bit different if you look close, since I trimmed about 3/16" off the outer tube's edge):

Thank you very much! it helps!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I picked up a 570 LE last night and mines loose in the same spot!! theres a great write up on another thread how to fix it with a few dollars and some PVC pipe!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I went to the dealer today where I got it and looked at the other 2013 570 RZRs there and they all had the one piece rubber tube! just my luck!! we dug around on their computer and found an updated tube, must be the one I saw on the other machines. they said this is the first they heard of it. one is on order supposidly under warranty. I looked in my tube and after 2 miles there was evidence of mud and water in it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just checked both of my hoses, both seem to be correct and tight. I'm thinking that with all the complaints about the hoses and clamps it may have got back to Polaris and they might of sent out a memo about this problem. Or perhaps I just got lucky.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ok...new update. I stopped at yet another polaris dealer on my way to work today and saw something totally different now. so we all know there is the multi piece airbox tube that uses the stupid o-ring lookin piece and then theres the all rubber one piece airbox tube which is supposed to be the updated hose but now i saw on a 2013 LE today on my way to work someone removed the o-ring from the multi piece tube then they cut a slice in it and then tightened the hose clamp down tight drawing it down on the male fitting that holds the prefilter in fender...this is messed up. I dont know if the dealership did that or the factory. I didnt ask....

·
Old but not slow
3,175 Posts
Gasket? There is supposed to be a gasket in the connection? After reading this thread I checked the connection on my 2013 which still has the molded plastic piece and found it loose as crap and no gasket or o-ring! Only slots cut into the molded plastic piece to hopefully seal it but hell no, not even close! Had a ton of sand in the upper air box but thankfully none in the lower so the filter did it's job. Cant believe the Polaris QC let this get by. I'm gonna send them a letter of displeasure with this oversight! In the meantime I'm gonna cut more slots, use a piece of bicycle inner tube for a gasket, and use electrical tape for a quick fix!

·
Registered
170 Posts
so it sounds like there is a couple different setups....I'm betting the one's that don't have the o-ring seal, somebody tossed them and tried to draw them together with the hose clamp.

I was upset about this too, cause I thought I had mine tight before the 1st ride and still ended up with dirt and water at the air filter. I figured the dealer would just reassemble it - so that's why I bought some pvc and replaced everything and got it all sealed up

Scott
2013 570LE

1 - 20 of 55 Posts