Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?
This is a Prototype cage made by GCCC in PA. I had an part working hand in hand with the design and build. There is a second design on the owners machine. I post that when I get some pics of it.

Made with .090 DOM in 1 3/4, 1 1/2 and 1 inch tube.

Doors and Side intrusion bars are in the works now.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
nice, very nice.
question: could you still get a 2 gal. gas can in and out of the oem lock and ride fuel holder with a lock n ride box back in center? as cool as the smaller dia. droppy deals look, they seem in the way.

ps lookin for a color scheme advisor for the interior colors at the new (fantasy) Polaris H.Q. all in good fun........

·
Registered
160 Posts
Overall the cage looks good. it's different looking. Not sure I like the cosmetic look of those bars on the side of the head rest area height though. Rather they were straight then droopy looking. An A+ for your effort!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted something different. Most cages look very similar, I guess there is only so much you can do with a cage. I wanted to triangulate the corners, but there wasn't any straight tubing in the main part of the cage, so I didn't want to use any straight pieces anywhere else in the cage.

The 1" tubing by the head is used to keep your head within the cage in a roll over. The tubing is just outside your peripheral vision and is perfectly centered thru my helmet. It is also turned out some to give clearance with the side of my head. I'm going to cover this in padding so it measures 1 3/4".

I didn't want to use the factory bumper mounts because of the radiator. I had a bumper that bolted to the top a-arm mounts. Well on a not so hard inpact with a tree the top a-arm tabs got crushed back. Also those bumpers mount with too small of angle to support any impact with the top of the bumper. Racer-Techs new bumper that mounts to the firewall looks good and I was going to do something like that. I tried a few things with the supports going down the hood to the cage and it actually looked good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I think if add the padding there it will ballance the scale of the tubing out. It does look good. Hopefully you never have to find out how well it all works...:rofl3::rofl3:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Man that looks Heavy :). I also would not want the bars by my head though. I like the bars going to the front bumper.. I already have a racer tech front bumper thats braced to the firewall. But I'm thinking about adding some bars also . I was going to run mine on the outside of the fenders though to help with protect the plastics as well as stiffen up everything. Those bars down the center don't bug you?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looks good. I have to agree with the side head level bars tho. I think the bright yellow makes it look really massive and heavy. Works good in that color to show off the work if you decide to start selling them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The yellow is really bright. I wanted a bright contrasting color so it will stand out at the GNCC races. I hate when you can't tell how is who.

The cage itself is real low at least 6" cut out of the back and about 1" out of the front compared to stock. I'm 5'8" my passanger is 5'6". If you are over 5'10" you won't fit.

It is definitely heavier then stock, but that GEN 1 cage is a tin can. I have not weighed it, but it doesn't seem any heavier then other cages I have moved around. wieght is also the reason I used 1" for bracing instead of something larger.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Looks good, just make sure you have a helmet on if your bounce your head on them side bars :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I love people's new takes on a cage. I am looking to do my own and look at all the different ones out there and pick and choose each bit I like from each one. So for going out on your own, good job.

With that said, I do have to agree that it looks heavy and busy but maybe with a roof that will tone that down some. I am not a fan of the tubing coming up the outside of the hood. The rear bumper looks like it is also 1 3/4" which is overkill for this size vehicle.
Just one other thing. I can't help but think of Wendy's hamburgers when I see the Red/Yellow scheme.

Sorry, don't mean to pick it apart but you asked. I give you a huge thumbs up for the work though. It's not easy at all.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
criticism is fine. I asked for it. The Wendy's comment is interesting. My cousin said it looks like something Ronald McDonald would drive.

McD's has alot of cash, I wonder if they would sponsor a UTV, I'm going to ask.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts