Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
why not just fill the cavity with grease if to have to drill a hole in the top after grease just put in a plastic push pin in the hole

·
Vendor
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The problem is the rubber is too soft. The silicone makes it almost solid.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wont say you can't do it in the car. The carrier needs to be cleaned well. I cleaned mine. Then I super glued the rubber to the metal housing inside and out so it will never separate.. Couple hours later glue was dried and I installed the unit onto the driveshaft and bearing in the car beforehand. Had enough room to get the silicone in. I let it harden up in the car while I continued to work on it.

No idea how long it will last, but rather not have a solid mounted support with the low quality Polaris drive line. It needs to absorb drive line vibration. I rather have this even if I had high quality drive shafts.

Be doing new shafts soon as the supper small u-joints on the front of my 2018 TRE are sloppy. The replacement joints from aftermarket don't fit properly. Polaris only offers the complete front prop shaft, $260. Likely Rhino shafts will be my fix later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
I’d like to do the Rhino shafts as well because I have loose u-joints in my 2017. But SATV won’t confirm if their shaft will work with the factory bearing and I’m not getting rid of my siliconed housing for a solid mount.

I just think long term over 3,4,5 years that having a solid carrier bearing mount won’t be good on the frame welds.

·
Vendor
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am not sure if the SATV carrier fits a stock shaft or not. I kinda think it will as you can get the carrier for the stock shaft and it looks identical to the one for their upgraded shaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is an easy and CHEAP fix for the carrier bearing in all the RZRs with 2 pc. driveshafts. You will need to remove the carrier bearing from the RZR to do the fix. Your carrier must have good rubber inside it. This fix also works on the Toyota carrier that some use.

First, we find it easiest to twist the carrier sideways to walk it off the bearing once you have the 2 shafts separated. This will leave the actual bearing on the driveshaft which you will have to knock off with a hammer.

Second, drill some holes around the outer perimeter of the carrier housing to squirt 100% silicone in. This will fill the void pocket that makes the rubber so soft. It will harden after a few days and be like a solid piece of rubber. This will take out all the play, but keep the harmonics from transferring. You will be able to install it after it sets up over night though. Just give it a few days before riding the RZR.

Third, remove the 2 rings from the old bearing. Obtain a new 6006-RS bearing from Ebay. They are cheap! We have found that these cheap bearings hold up fine. BUT, you need to pop out one of the rubber seals and pack it with waterproof grease. These hold up to Z1 power as well as the mud and water we run in. Install the 2 rings from the old bearing. Install the bearing back in the rubber carrier.

Final, put the shafts back in the tunnel. install the carrier on the shaft. We use a short piece of pipe to tap the bearing on the shaft. It must just clear the OD of the shaft and tap on the inner race of the bearing. This is important that it goes all the way on. Now make sure you have the driveshafts phased correctly. The new shafts only go together one way as they have a master spline.

Hope this helps out and puts some money back in your pocket. No need for those expensive carriers.
What 2 rings from the old bearing are you talking about? I no longer have my old bearing, but I did order a 6006RS bearing and I was gonna install it in the old carrier. Are the 2 rings a must?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is an easy and CHEAP fix for the carrier bearing in all the RZRs with 2 pc. driveshafts. You will need to remove the carrier bearing from the RZR to do the fix. Your carrier must have good rubber inside it. This fix also works on the Toyota carrier that some use.

First, we find it easiest to twist the carrier sideways to walk it off the bearing once you have the 2 shafts separated. This will leave the actual bearing on the driveshaft which you will have to knock off with a hammer.

Second, drill some holes around the outer perimeter of the carrier housing to squirt 100% silicone in. This will fill the void pocket that makes the rubber so soft. It will harden after a few days and be like a solid piece of rubber. This will take out all the play, but keep the harmonics from transferring. You will be able to install it after it sets up over night though. Just give it a few days before riding the RZR.

Third, remove the 2 rings from the old bearing. Obtain a new 6006-RS bearing from Ebay. They are cheap! We have found that these cheap bearings hold up fine. BUT, you need to pop out one of the rubber seals and pack it with waterproof grease. These hold up to Z1 power as well as the mud and water we run in. Install the 2 rings from the old bearing. Install the bearing back in the rubber carrier.

Final, put the shafts back in the tunnel. install the carrier on the shaft. We use a short piece of pipe to tap the bearing on the shaft. It must just clear the OD of the shaft and tap on the inner race of the bearing. This is important that it goes all the way on. Now make sure you have the driveshafts phased correctly. The new shafts only go together one way as they have a master spline.

Hope this helps out and puts some money back in your pocket. No need for those expensive carriers.
What 2 rings from the old bearing are you talking about? I no longer have my old bearing, but I did order a 6006RS bearing and I was gonna install it in the old carrier and put the silicone in. Are the 2 rings a must?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Has anyone made a video of this process yet ? Thank u HawkEng for this !

41 - 50 of 50 Posts