Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a recon trip to Catahoula ATV park yesterday. Honestly, I did not expect much being that the area is 160 acres total. I have to say I was impressed with the challenge on their trails. The owner, Dennis, is a very pleasant gentleman and provided me with a satellite view trail map. The trail markers need some improvement and a pass with a shredder in the clearings would be a plus but the routes up to the ridge tops were awesome. I now see what gets the rock crawlers all excited. Boulders, and plenty of them, in Louisiana....WTF?!?! It definitely has plenty of excitement for experienced riders but is not for the faint of heart. Yes, there are a few beginner trails and some for mid-level riders but the majority would rate a high sphincter-factor for all but the most experienced rock climbers....and then there are many trails to challenge even the best. I will be back for sure but I will leave my gal at home....she freaks out on steep trails:sad:. Also, there are beaucoup primitive camp sites and even a pair of nice, clean showers. Although it is called an ATV park it is well suited for SXS's and Jeeps. Since Wolf Pen Gap is now more of a "nice cruise through the woods" I can see myself making a few trips per year to beat the snot out of my machine. BTW...DO NOT GO THERE unless you have heavy duty underside protection on your RZR and a winch. I would like to get a group to go one day because spotters and help on the 3-5 factor trails would be advisable.

Robin A.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, It is located about 60mi S/SE of Monroe, LA or about 35 mi NW of Natchez, MS. I paid $40 for one machine and was told that it would cover a full weekend (Dennis said that since I was only up for the last day of the weekend he would include another day in the future under that one fee. A $10 per passenger fee applies also (I went up alone). Being from a mountain state and also having world class SuperLift park nearby (at least much closer than Catahoula) you would not likely find this park anything to drive from Fort Smith to ride....but if you were to be in the area it might be worth visiting. I would compare it to SuperLift by calling it "SuperLift Lite" but hey...it is a 2.5hr drive versus a 7hr ride to Hot Springs. I would definitely take it over the current configuration at WPG.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Good deal robin. Hey im always down for new places and all of the stuff that comes along with them.

Funny superlift is about 2.5hrs for me and this place is 7. Exact opposite of you. :rofl3:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mattshs2005....I do have the trails I traveled (solo...so I did not hit any 4 or 5 level trails) still in my Garmin Nuvi and can probably convert them to a custom map if any in your group has a compatible GPS. Like I mentioned, the trail markers are hit and miss so it would be a good indicator as to the trails you can run in safely in a stock RZR and not get in a bind. If I was in a group I would have attempted some of the more difficult runs but I did not want to break anything terminal and get stranded on a Monday afternoon out in the sticks ( I was the only one in the park except for one kid on a quad ). Definitely bring a snatch block or two and some extra HD rope to winch out of a bind if you try some of the really tough runs.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah we went to Superlift last April and had a blast. We did a few 4 diamond trails without any problems. Everyone we ride with has spacers and 27" tires. But that's it. We might go the 16th I'll let you know for sure.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt...are you still considering a trip to Catahoula on the 16th? If so I would like to join your group.

Robin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will likely be able to make it if my gal gives me a yard pass:). When I went I passed through Alexandria/Harrisonburg and it took 2.5+ hour which included one brief fuel stop. If I make it I will plan on leaving just after 8am. I'll pm you to let you know if I will make it. Thanks for the invite.

Robin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matt, I will be able to make it Sunday. Look forward to riding with your group.

Robin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt, I sent you a PM concerning the Sunday ride.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might be able to make that one. I will be in The Big Greasy (N.O.) Wed-Fri but might get up there on Sat.. Thanks for the invite!

Robin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BUMP for FOLIVIER...

Matt, I am still planning to go on Saturday if I get back from N.O. in time. I bumped this for a new RZR owner looking for riding areas in La.

Robin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts