Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
You want at least a CLASS AB extinguisher and 2.5lb or more. Go with a brand that sells a metal nozzle as well. The plastic nozzle and handle will break on a RZR
thanks.

this doesnt really say how many lbs it is.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000UHP9EU/?coliid=I22QDLZM6GHWXC&colid=35N2RJXQ4M7K3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and i see it is rated 10-bc? is that better or worse than ab?
I would consider that extinguisher more as a Marine unit. Class A is general consumables, which means it's good for grass, wood and paper.. common stuff found near trails. Class B is for flammables. Class C is electrical.

Ideally you'll want Class ABC, but I would look for Class AB for the trails.

The "10" before the class is either/or the square footage or the amount in seconds the extinguisher will output.

·
Registered
135 Posts
there is nothing to indicate that that fire extinguisher comes with it. i believe that is only the mount.

can anyone tell me what type of extinguisher i need? ive read that the ones you use in the kitchen are no good cause they use co2 to displace the oxygen. so a small breeze makes them useless outside? or maybe im mistaken. id like an extinguisher to keep in my trunk box/cab. eventually ill spend the $ for a mount, but for now, it's better than nothing.
Scroll down the page and pic the one you prefer.
im not sure what that means.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Pick a class ABC Extinguisher. 5lbs would be good. No need to spend hundreds, you’ll have to replace it eventually. They are warrantied good one year out from the date stamped on the tag.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
MinnesotaEric maybe carry this extinguisher it’s dual purpose. View attachment 575712

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
Aw man, you're killin' me! LOL

Eight days after my fire run and my RZR is back to making engine noises again–I just need to slap the Tupperware back on and screw it down and start editing a video...

From this

To this

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks for watching! All my RZR really needed was a new roll cage. I couldn't believe that it was sitting at my local auction. After I replaced the roll cage I put it on an alignment rack and everything looked pretty good.

Anyway, here is what I had to do get my firebug RZR running again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I run one on each D Pillar, and one in the center between the seats. With the turbo cars, a fire is likely to start on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Don't carry extra gas on these machines. pretty simple

·
Army Signals Retired
124 Posts
This is where I mounted my RotoPax. And my fire extinguisher on the inside of the cab.
Many of the trails that we ride, require you to have extra gas before you hit the next gas station.

Attachments

·
Army Signals Retired
124 Posts
This is where I mounted my RotoPax. And my fire extinguisher on the inside of the cab.

Many of the trails that we ride, require you to have extra gas before you hit the next gas station.
I like your fire extinguisher location, do you have a better picture of how it's mounted?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Let me go get some.

·
Army Signals Retired
124 Posts
Here ya go Adam.

I have it secured to the front roll bar with two of these clamps, they don't even budge.

Attachments

·
DaleB
103 Posts
Go with one made to carry in a vehicle with a good clamp. You need the powder type so the powder will stay put when you spay it. None will work if you don't catch the fire when it is small. Once it takes off to a large fire you can just watch your machine go away. I have been to looks of vehicle fires and they don't explode. The tires will pop and shocks can shoot out the hood if it gets hot enough. The fuel tank will not explode except to enlarge the fire. Now ammo and guns can cook off though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has been my experience with CARB compliance (non vented] gas cans in the desert heat of CA and AZ, that part filled cans expand way more than full ones. I have seen closed plastic cans expand like a beach ball. If I have to carry gas, I only carry full cans and slightly vent the empty ones in open areas. Keeping cans insulated from direct sun and engine heat also help. I try to do same thing when storing extra gas around camp. I am not an expert but it has worked well for me and stopped splitting seams in the cans that go unnoticed until they start sweating gas the next time you use them.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
The Rotopax are so thick I have never had one fail and haven't witnessed one swell- Their new fuel pax are about 1/2 as thick ( less) I don't trust them.
A friend of mine had a fire on his boat and put it out with one of these.
I have one in the RZR and a Traditional ABC - roll bar mounted..,. but the First alert last 4 times longer/ but I wonder about it cause it doesn't have anyway to gauge the internal pressure-- But it put out a huge fire on that boat that day - even though it's rated for a small one

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
This is what I came up with, it’s a bit custom but I think it will work out.
Does the extinguisher fit loosely or snugly?

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I reached out to Polaris today. I explained my thesis of leaking gas

(1) following a bungee cord down toward the right rear hitting hot exhaust in the back, or,
(2) following a bungee cord down on the right front and dripping onto a heat shield directly above the exhaust and catching on fire.

I also explained that nowhere on the exhaust or heat shield was there any bungee residue (and this burned goop doesn't wipe or burn off), and that my thesis didn't explain how a fuel leak happened when the vent and gas cap where still on the fuel tank without appealing to shaking and vibration to cause a gas leak past the cap or vent while I was traveling.

Moreover, the bulk of the damage was from the airbox to the center of fuel rail to the right-hand side where the fire obviously followed the wiring harness.

If the fire started on the hot muffler, it left no trace. If the fire started atop of the righthand forward heat shield, it also left little trace. I would have expected more charring in that area but the burn pattern suggests that the fire was focused on the fuel rail area and expanded from there.

Since I have not thrown anything away, Polaris wants to inspect my charred bits and my machine for a few days. Which is to say, that my thesis, while reasonable, doesn’t seem to accommodate all the evidence I saw when I took the machine apart for repairs and so for that I reason, I called Polaris.

In other news, my fire extinguisher kit arrived today.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is what I came up with, it’s a bit custom but I think it will work out.
Does the extinguisher fit loosely or snugly?

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

Good fit, not so tight it won’t come out but stays in during rough travels, haven’t needed anything else to secure it in yet. I thought I’d need a simple bungee or something but guess not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 44 Posts