Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to head to SE Utah but don't have much knowledge about the area. Thinking about Capitol Reef. Anyone have any experience in this part of the state? Looking for a place where I don't have to trailer the RZR, just ride from the camping area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the forums on ATVUtah.com. Tons of great info there on Utah and all the great stuff to do in Utah.

I persoally havent been, driven by, headed to other destinations. :ride:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Capitol Reef is beautiful. I think Bryce Canyon is probably a little more ATV friendly however, and would be a great place to camp and ride straight to the trails. Another suggestion I would make is to call some of the ATV dealers in that area (Cedar City, Richfield, etc.) and see where they would suggest riding and camping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We found some great riding in Bryce Canyon a few years ago. I"m hearing a lot about the San Rafeal Swell and we may try there. I'll check out atvutah. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Capitol Reef is a national park, and you can't ride anywhere within the park, even if you're street legal. You'll also find that you can't ride in Bryce Canyon national park either, but outside the national park boundaries there are all sorts of good places to ride. The San Rafael swell area, which is mostly north of captol reef is really nice in the fall. It's one of the areas the environmentalists are trying really hard to shut down, so it's well worth riding while you still can.

Are you looking for mountains, desert, tight trails, fast open areas?

·
AZ Pete
345 Posts
if you want to go a little farther south the Kanab area is great. You'll have dunes and back country riding all in one place. The campground at the coral pink sand dunes is very nice.

wherever you go there you'll love it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Riders, as I sit here after 3 days and 250 miles of Utah trails I can safely say that you could ride all the trails this state has to offer in a lifetime. You can find everything you want, My favorite is the Piaute, but the Fremont system in Garfield County (Bryce) isa close second (see my thread in places on the Casto Canyon) I must warn you though that you don't have to be @ 50" width, but you will wish you were. Utah is a meca for ATV's they really treat you well. We camped in Marysvale and rode everywhere out of the camp,
John

·
AZ Pete
345 Posts
Riders, as I sit here after 3 days and 250 miles of Utah trails I can safely say that you could ride all the trails this state has to offer in a lifetime. You can find everything you want, My favorite is the Piaute, but the Fremont system in Garfield County (Bryce) isa close second (see my thread in places on the Casto Canyon) I must warn you though that you don't have to be @ 50" width, but you will wish you were. Utah is a meca for ATV's they really treat you well. We camped in Marysvale and rode everywhere out of the camp,
John
I so agree!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I haven't road any of the trails John writing about. Yet!

·
Registered
629 Posts
John
I've been going to Utah for years and rode the Paiute. Prolly the best place to ride out here in the west (apart from the dunes). The funny thing is, most californians have no idea of the Paiute. Thou that's prolly a good thing. The town folk up there are not ready for what that would bring...

·
Registered
302 Posts
John
I've been going to Utah for years and rode the Paiute. Prolly the best place to ride out here in the west (apart from the dunes). The funny thing is, most californians have no idea of the Paiute. Thou that's prolly a good thing. The town folk up there are not ready for what that would bring...
You're only just scratching the surface. Myself, for the most part I try not to ride the same trail twice, doing loops whenever possible, and exploring new areas almost every ride. Besides the networks you mentioned, we have the arapeen, and shoshone trail networks farther north, Moab area, San Rafael swell, Monticello area, and of course dunes in areas like little sahara, Pink Coral, and Sand Hollow not to mention many many smaller lesser know dune areas. Take your pick, mountains to dunes, you'll find a lot of adventure here, provided we can keep the trails open. Amongst other things, that means we have to be responsible when we ride, so please guys, when you come out here to ride, play by the rules and do what you can to help in the battle with those who would close the land to OHV's.

·
Registered
343 Posts
San Rafael Swell is the most beautiful area I have ever rode. I highly recommend it. The first four pictures are in the San Rafeal Swell. The last one is leaving Capital Reef National Park.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree with everyone above! Live in Vegas and come up and support Utah whenever possible. The riding in awesome and well organized... too bad Nevada can't get organized and do something similar.

Most familiar with the Paiute system, great trail riding and mountains. if you like sand, Coral Pink cannot be beat (plus there are trails across the street).

My only complaint is the markings on the National Geographic maps do not often match the markings on the trail. If anyone knows good maps, please let me know.:ride:

·
Registered
629 Posts
San Rafael Swell is the most beautiful area I have ever rode. I highly recommend it. The first four pictures are in the San Rafeal Swell. The last one is leaving Capital Reef National Park.
Man I would tear that place up on my KTM. I'd put the wife in the RZR 4 to help pick up the pieces. :rofl3:

Great photos! I'm gonna go there this spring.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
John
And lets hope they don't find it.............lol

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Hey, careful now you are hitting close to home, we can be responsible to and we do spend lots of $$$$$ here when we come. I also pick on my fellow CA's some do live down to there expectations but if riders don't ride these trails and make it worth the effort of the small towns, we will loose them to some "anti" group.
John

·
Registered
871 Posts
:hijacked:

I don't think it's the people that hit the road to go riding that are the problem. It's the one's that have never had their azz in the seat of an OHV that you have to worry about.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
lol.... It's just like anything there is always some dipsh%& that screews it up. I have been offroading all my life and there is a big change in the mentality of the offroaders today.

I think Utah has alot to offer just hate to see it get ruined.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey, careful now you are hitting close to home, we can be responsible to and we do spend lots of $$$$$ here when we come. I also pick on my fellow CA's some do live down to there expectations but if riders don't ride these trails and make it worth the effort of the small towns, we will loose them to some "anti" group.
John
Yes John you are right. Problem is allot of people from Cali show up with the loudest exhaust that's not needed, biggest tires ripping up the trails, attitude of "I don't give a F^$%" and leave trash everwhere they go. I'm not saying that everybody is like that, after all I'm from Cali and I dont do that.

Go to the Dunes and see what happens..

Utah is a Outdoor state. Their Gov is a hunter and dirt bike rider. They know without the offroad money then they loose Millions of income. BUT I do understand what you mean.

Chop.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Wow that is awesome. Great pics. So are you saying you can actually OHV in the CR NP ??? That would great. Utah's on our list and can't wait to go. Just need some time & $$$$.

And for those negative comments about Californian's????? There are those kind or OHV'ers in every state. Yes we have our share but they are a minority. Most OHV'ers we camp with and or see while camping and off roading are very responsible folks. Not only for themselves but for those few that aren't as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts