Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a ton of searching but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'd like to chop my cage a couple inches to get a flat roof but I want to retain the oem glass windshield. I saw where a few of the 2 seat guys cut the rear piller and then simply pulled A piller back and down and were able to reuse the windshield. Sounds like this lowers A pillar about an inch.

On the 4 seater, I'm wondering if anyone has cut behind the top of A piller(behind the visor), slugged the tube and ran a new 4 ft piece of DOM to the bung on C pillar? Maybe grinding the welds on the bung and reusing it instead of slugging at top of C pillar.

I would think this would be easier and stronger. Then I was thinking with the 4 way bung at B pillar out, notch the top of B pillar and pull it in to the new DOM and weld it. Then a new piece of DOM in between B pillars, completely eliminating the center bungs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started on it. Factory cage is only .080 and 1.5” DOM slugs fit like shit, I’m surprised people are ok with this. It’d be nice if someone sold machined slugs that were the correct OD.

I cut 3” from B & C pillars. I’m going to run new .095 DOM tubes from A piller to top of C pillar (will be welded to C pillar adjacent to the 4 way bung) and a new piece of DOM between B pillars. I cut up all the factory tubing I removed to use for braces. Seatbelt bungs will get rewelded at the correct height. I will post a pic when I’m done. Plan on reusing my windshield and then building upper doors when I’m done. Want a fully enclosed cab for winter riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I chopped mine 2 inches at the a pillar, I only run a half windshield. Dropped 6 out the rest. As far as the Dom tube slugs I made them as long as I could. I did chop out the stock tubbing between the b pillar and c pillar and added .095 Dom. It ended up needing to be 1.5 inches shorter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in Alaska, shipping a cage up here would be ridiculous. Trying to do this on a budget as well.

That being said, pulling the A pillar down to try and line it up with C pillar wasn’t going to happen. Puts a ton of stress on the lower bungs. I would never trust the cage after doing that, the 2 seat guys are ballsy leaving it that way. I’m made all new A pillars from 1.75 x 1.20 DOM with the correct angle bent. Will still use factory glass & visor. Using the same DOM between B pillars.

I also ended up cutting a bunch of 1/4” wide x 6” long strips of .040 4130 plate. I’m fusing 4 to each DOM slug so they actually fit tight into the oem tubing. Will have 8 plug welds per slug. Have two 1/2” plug welds 1” down 180 apart, and two more 2” down 90 degrees from the other holes and the holes are opposite of each on each side of the butt weld. Should be stout.

Using the factory tube I cut out to “V” C piller behind the rear passengers and brace all the other joints.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah chopping the a pillar did put a bunch of stress on the c pillar that is why I took out the over head section between the c and b pillar and added 1.5 inches of Dom. The cage has no stress in it, I had it all involved and it bolts right back up without any issues. I didn't go aftermarket because I knew I could make the stock one look cooler and be stonger at the same time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think a lot of the safety issues come from guys just cutting and welding it back up with out thinking about the added stress if not done right and not reinforcing the cage. And thank you, the wife was very nervous but now loves it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah chopping the a pillar did put a bunch of stress on the c pillar that is why I took out the over head section between the c and b pillar and added 1.5 inches of Dom. The cage has no stress in it, I had it all involved and it bolts right back up without any issues. I didn't go aftermarket because I knew I could make the stock one look cooler and be stonger at the same time.

Did you cut the overhead sections that run cross ways since lowering the B and C posts narrows the cage?

·
Registered
96 Posts

Did you cut the overhead sections that run cross ways since lowering the B and C posts narrows the cage?
No the b pillar fit fine but the c pillar was a little tight. I had to use a big ratchet strap on it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll post some progress pics soon. I ended up having cage slugs machined and just got them back last week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here ya go man.
http://www.offroadbeast.com/product/bearing-press-plate-copy/

Started on it. Factory cage is only .080 and 1.5” DOM slugs fit like shit, I’m surprised people are ok with this. It’d be nice if someone sold machined slugs that were the correct OD.

I cut 3” from B & C pillars. I’m going to run new .095 DOM tubes from A piller to top of C pillar (will be welded to C pillar adjacent to the 4 way bung) and a new piece of DOM between B pillars. I cut up all the factory tubing I removed to use for braces. Seatbelt bungs will get rewelded at the correct height. I will post a pic when I’m done. Plan on reusing my windshield and then building upper doors when I’m done. Want a fully enclosed cab for winter riding.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I would have have seen those, would have saved me a lot of money.

I just ordered a metal lathe this morning though so I’m making my own from now on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I chopped mine 2 inches at the a pillar, I only run a half windshield. Dropped 6 out the rest. As far as the Dom tube slugs I made them as long as I could. I did chop out the stock tubbing between the b pillar and c pillar and added .095 Dom. It ended up needing to be 1.5 inches shorter.

sorry to wake this old thread up, but I’m planning on asking my dads welders to do this very soon.

I see you have green tape marking the cuts, does this mean whatever is working the green area, is deleted (cut out) and welds are made?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts