Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave became a C6-7 Quad after a vehicle accident in April 2001. This put a stop to his career of being a logger. I have taken Dave in my Argo (special bucket adapted seat) several times and once in the 2012 XP 900. Today he placed himself in the 2008 Polaris RZR 800. This RZR has lots of modification for me, a T7 paraplegic. Dave was ready and eager to take this RZR for a cruise. Pictures help show what Dave looks like behind his first time driving since his accident and let alone being a RZR. Dave did great, used caution and his family followed him in the XP 900. He managed to get several hours of driving the mountain roads on the family tree farm. He also got to see a large bull elk on his first venture drive, to bad, rifle season opens in November and Dave is a hunter.
This has been a long time goal for Dave to drive the RZR and today it was accomplished with good success. His own version is next.
Darrel

My name is Dave and I’ve been a C 6-7 Quad since 2001. Before my accident I worked, hunted, and spent time with my family in the woods. Since then, I still get out there with the help of friends and family regularly. I hadn’t been comfortable with getting my driver’s license until the last few years, but haven’t yet. Anyway, I’ve always been satisfied with sitting in the truck or watching the kids when we are camping, at least I’m out and it’s way better than sitting at home.
My good friend Darrel gave me the opportunity to drive his Razor that he has had modified, very thoughtfully I must add, to be accessible. My level of feeling stops at my armpit line. I have no stomach muscle control at all and very limited balance. I do have feeling in my hands but no use of them. With the Razor, I was able to get into the machine with very little assistance and would be perfectly comfortable doing it myself now. I wasn’t too concerned about being able to operate it, but I didn’t know how well I could handle it. My biggest worry was breaking something on it if I lost control.:scared2:
I was careful to get used to the throttle and brake but I was fairly comfortable with it pretty quick.
Knowing I’m not going to go blazing through mud holes or catching air off jumps…I stuck to the gravel roads with my wife and kids taking turns in the other razor behind me. I don’t know how many hours I was able to get in, but I would still be driving around up there if I could. My family had a blast as well and it’s something we got to do all together. We are now seriously looking into getting one.
This has opened up an entire new aspect of accessibility for my family and I.:)
I can’t thank Darrel and his family enough for what they have done for my family and I, and not just in driving his razor. I will also add, from this experience, I now want to get back into driving my own truck more than ever and will within the next year.
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction!!!(R)

AWESOME DAVE!! Glad your getting back into the game. If I may suggest something for you, Get full doors!! with you being a C6you might "flop" a little. This will keep you inside even in the event of a rollover and add protection from tree limbs as well as dirt and mud. I have a friend who is close to you but rides passenger and hunts with a sip and puff and he loves his doors. Also get the Power steering!!

·
Banned
904 Posts
This is great man. I love seeing this and love it when people help out. I love the fact that you arent giving up and are still enjoying the outdoor activities. Good luck to you man..

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
:clap::clap::clap Great job to all involved..

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Dave, congratulations on getting back out & riding.

That RZR looks great & almost perfectly suited for you. We have many disabled riders here & the disabled section grows all the time. I've seen some of the most innovative mechanical marvels built just for this reason. For me all I needed was EPS (Electronic Power Steering) & GOOD seats (Was injured in Iraq, nothing as serious as you). We have quite a few quadriplegic riders & if you plan on getting a RZR for yourself, look them up. I'm sure they'd love to help get you on the right track.

I agree with Rick (DesertVet), Doors are a big deal. Laying the RZR on its side is almost a worse case scenario for you & you don't want your arm getting snagged. Good luck & take care,

Wazz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts