Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a 570 or 800.
What are things to look for on a used one?
Thanks.
1) Maintenance records

2) Over all appearance (Check the skid plate for hits, axles & cv's, a-arms for hits, etc.)

3) Check the Airbox for dirt & the Throttle Body too

4) Check the dipstick

5) Check the coolant reservoir make sure it's at the Max line and the radiator is full

6) Check movement in a-arms (up & down , side to side)

7) Check miles, hours aren't as important because the hour meter runs not only when the engine is actually running but off the key switch... If the key is on and the engine is off the hour meter is running... Hence you forget to turn the key off (it happens) you have however long the battery last in hours on your machine without the engine running

8) Tires, no cuts or plugs

9) Wheels, no cracks or bent rims

10) Wheel bearings, not a lot of movement (there will be some)

11) Steering, not a lot of up and down movement on the steering column (fixable) and it doesn't hang up turning side to side

12) Clear title and make sure seller has paid the tax when he or she bought it or you will be paying the tax

13) Test drive it, not a trip around the block either, go ride it

14) COMMON SENSE... If it's to good to be true type of deal IT IS...

·
Registered
553 Posts
They hold there resale good, so if you can afford a few grand more, I would go new. You never know what your getting used. My two cents

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought used. I let the seller take the hit. Mine was decked out and I paid half of what it would have cost me if I bought new and bought all the upgrades.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tim said it perfect! You never know how it was ran, hard or not! It could look a-1 and had the s*** ran out of them!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I bought a wrecked "10" with 75 hours for 3 G's. When I got done with new frame, body parts and a bunch of front end parts and new 26" Bighorns I had $6500 total. Took about a month to build it and got to know the machine pretty well. Sold my "08" for $8000, so I got a 2 year newer RZR and made $1500. If you have mechanical ability and check your sources for parts it is great way to go.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
As others have noted, if you can afford it, don't be cheap...buy new!!! RZRs are so easily abused its incredible...and you don't want to buy someone else's problem child!!!

JMHO

Pirate

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would never buy a used RZR you will never know what your getting. I might think about a used one if it has less then 1 mile on it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I don't know, there's a lot of guys selling used RZR's on this site. I'm thinking most of them would be trust worthy ! And some of the prices i've seen look like pretty good deals to !!!

Maybe someone who has bought used from anyone on here can click in ?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hmmm...so you think everyone on on the RZR Forums is as honest as Abe Lincoln....

Most won't even post their name, so many aren't premium members to help offset the costs.

Nope, haven't bought a used vehicle of any kind since I was 25 and don't regret the decision. Get what I want, have a warranty, and a face-to-face person to discuss issues with...the dealer, service manager or salesman. Really haven't had any bad experiences going this route.

JMHO

Pirate

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Let me go back to my post and re-read it and see if I can find the word EVERYONE ????

Nope can't find it.

I have bought most of my off road vehicles used and never han an issue with any of them.

Seen some pretty sorry AZZZ NEW dealer sales on here after people have bought new to. The vehicle prep after purchased seemed to an issue and or missing all together.

May be just how experienced and savvey some are in what to look for to when you buy used.

Just saying

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have bought almost all my toys slightly used and knock on wood, never got burned yet. I say let somebody else pay the tax and the brand new price. The one toy i bought brand new was my old 2008 brute force 750 new and paid cash for it and got a sweet deal 6500.00 out the door, other then that its been just search my butt off for the right deal. I bought my 2011 standard 50" rzr off somebody on this site , it had 100 miles on it and was stock and i paid 8300.00 I had to drive 3.5 hrs to pick it up but i would say it was well worth it. I got a similar deal off the can-am forum when i got my 2010 renegade 800xxc that i still have and not problem to speak of to this day. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
250 Posts
it depends... I think a lot location has a lot to do with it If you can ride it to the trails from where the owner lives, more likely the machine has some miles on it. I got my 08 used in 2010. the machine clearly was in new condition, had 300 miles on it. The owner had never registered it, and i dont think even owned a trailer. The machine had never left his back yard. It also had ITP wheels and swamplites on it. so in that case i saved $3k and got a like new machine. Saves $$$ for mods... now after you get power steering, winches, bumpers...intake... you end up having new $$ into it, but you would have ended up buying that stuff anyway...
The only reason i would buy new, is if you cant find a decent deal, or want the latest technology. There have been MANY improvements since these things came out. and if polarise mfg is anything like Toyota's with continuous improvement, the most current mfg machine is the best one. good luck! and i hope you get one soon!!

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
used is o.k
especially with mods coming with it,
i would buy from somebody i know lets say on this forum with high postings
and a good reputation,
most members on here are just trading up to a bigger badder machine i.e xp

on the other hand though i bought a used toy hauler
and had to restore quite a bit on it,
sky lights/pump/tires/faucets/blinds/lights/electrical
thats the chance you take
your choice
my two cents

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
I bought used just to know if I'd like a SXS. Had to go EBay due to none avail. local.
The nice house in the background was a bit refreshing.
Called and talked to him.....felt him out.
I google satellited the guys address to see how he lived.
Items from the aerial view jived with the Ebay photos.
Several things stood out on his land compared to other adjoining properties.
Namely that his acreage was pretty green and other neighbors was dying grass.
His driveway cost more than the RZR. That I like.
As far as the RZR in person I knew when I got there I would make a judgement call on other items around the property weather to buy it after a test ride.

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
I bought used just to know if I'd like a SXS. Had to go EBay due to none avail. local.
The nice house in the background was a bit refreshing.
Called and talked to him.....felt him out.
I google satellited the guys address to see how he lived.
Items from the aerial view jived with the Ebay photos.
Several things stood out on his land compared to other adjoining properties.
Namely that his acreage was pretty green and other neighbors was dying grass.
His driveway cost more than the RZR. That I like.
As far as the RZR in person I knew when I got there I would make a judgement call on other items around the property weather to buy it after a test ride.
good call
on your part,
this def will help with anybodys final purchase decision,
if you don,t know the seller,
i kinda checked out the guys living seroundings when i bought the toy hauler,
retired guy 70,s
he bought it used plated it,
his wife got sick and never used it,
and he was a tinkerer and had added a solar charging system, and fuel transfer pump to fill your toys with gas,

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 2011 s came from a forum member , by buying used it kept the wife from knowing how much I spent on it ( thinks I traded my foreman even for it ) anyway it had 27 hrs on it and records and receipts for the 25 hr break in maintenance from his local dealer . I've had it since April and have doubled the hrs on it without any issues .

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs !

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think you are correct, being experienced and savvy makes a whole lot of difference looking at something used.

Sadly in our country honesty seems to be on the decline, I can't tell you why, but there are so many things changing, and not for the good.

I try to live my life to my motto "do the right thing". If something goes awry, I fix it.

I don't sell much of my old stuff as I don't want someone to feel cheated or disappointed. I've given a lot of my stock RZR stuff away on the pay it forward and even paid the freight for those who said they really couldn't afford that. Were they honest with me, I don't know. I felt I did the right thing, and lately its amazing to me the number of times something good hapens to me and I realize - hey one of those good things I've done just came back to me.

Hope everyone comes around to that way of thinking! Sure would make life a lot easier for all of us!!!

Sorry if I offended,

Pirate

1 - 20 of 27 Posts