Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 Rzr, camo color. With the hunting season fast upon us, I've been spending a lot more time riding in some very thick wooded areas and off some of the "major" trails. I've decided time to get a bumper. Was wondering what you folks that have them can recommend that 1) will mount with no affect on the polaris winch that I had installed when I bought the machine 2) will compensate for that stupid radiator mount issue that I've read some much about so I don't have to worry about busting the radiator and 3) what color black would it be that matches the stock black of my roll bars? powder coat? gloss? flat?

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an 09 Rzr, camo color. With the hunting season fast upon us, I've been spending a lot more time riding in some very thick wooded areas and off some of the "major" trails. I've decided time to get a bumper. Was wondering what you folks that have them can recommend that 1) will mount with no affect on the polaris winch that I had installed when I bought the machine 2) will compensate for that stupid radiator mount issue that I've read some much about so I don't have to worry about busting the radiator and 3) what color black would it be that matches the stock black of my roll bars? powder coat? gloss? flat?

Thanks.
This is what I bought (with the winch fair-lead option) they know their stuff. Not the lowest price bumper out there but you get what you pay for. No worries about your radiator either. You should understand that you will need to make a permanent grill modification before you make your decision though. Pictures are lower on their page. You get a 10% discount when you type RZRforum into the discount line if you order online. The standard finish black that came on it looks good also.
RZR, RZR-S, RZR-4 Pre-Runner Front Bumper polaris rzr rzr-s pre-runner front bumper [613012] - $449.00 : Holz Racing Products, Race Proven Engineering

·
Registered
221 Posts
Check out Superatv.com, good quality, great price, great service and ask about their bumper reinforcement bar.

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
I likewise went with the Holz...the fact that it integrated with their skid plate system was the major reason for me, plus I felt it was one of the simpler/cleaner bumpers out there - protection without bulk.

·
Vendor
777 Posts
Take a look at all of the bumpers that are out there (you'll find dozens). Pick whichever one you like best. If it's a "radiator-killer", you can add the Thunderhawk Bumper Reinforcement / Radiator Saver. This part is easy to install and is the strongest design available. The Thunderhawk bumper brace fits all 2008-2010 Polaris RZR, including the RZR-S and RZR-4. We are working on a version for the 2011's right now.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have the Thunderhawk radiator saver. Very nice work and design. It is an easy install and looks like it will take alot of force to get past it to damage the radiator.

·
Extreme Metal Products
1,947 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ClevelandRZR,

I looked at the EMP bumper yesterday. I like the looks and the fact that it is wider than the Holz bumper protecting more of the front end. I also thought the installation looked the easiest of the bunch. However, my take was it would not work with the stock mounted winch. Is that correct? If so, I'm not sure if I'm up to (read that capable of) relocating the winch to a different location (on the new bumper). If I read it incorrectly, then that may be the way that I go. Can I see a copy of the installation instructions before I purchase it? I'm impressed with EMP products as two weeks ago bought the EMP Cargo cover and I love that thing.

·
Extreme Metal Products
1,947 Posts
You have to mount your winch on top. The bottom of the bumper mounts to the frame where your fairlead would mount. We are working on an installation video now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out Night Krawler Kustoms front bumper. It does not mount by the radiator, instead it has bars that go back to the main frame where the cage mounts. This is a bullet proof front bumper I have been racing with it all summer. My front bumper has a welded on front guard but all the other ones have a bolt on aluminum guard in case you are using a winch. Here is the website Home . If you have any questions just give Jeremy a call.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
ClevelandRZR,

I looked at the EMP bumper yesterday. I like the looks and the fact that it is wider than the Holz bumper protecting more of the front end. I also thought the installation looked the easiest of the bunch. However, my take was it would not work with the stock mounted winch. Is that correct? If so, I'm not sure if I'm up to (read that capable of) relocating the winch to a different location (on the new bumper). If I read it incorrectly, then that may be the way that I go. Can I see a copy of the installation instructions before I purchase it? I'm impressed with EMP products as two weeks ago bought the EMP Cargo cover and I love that thing.
Moving the winch is easy, only 4 bolts hold it on, just remove the 2 power cables, 10mm nuts and take out the 4, 13mm bolts that go into the bottom of the winch and after you have removed the front hook by taking out the cotter pin, the winch will slide right out. The only thing you might need to relocate it to the emp bumper is longer power cables, which can be bought at any parts store.

·
Extreme Metal Products
1,947 Posts
You will only need longer cables if you have a polaris winch kit. Others winches have extra cable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I ordered a warn bumper almost 3 weeks ago, only to find there on back order:rm_thumbdown: Its similar to the emp but less bulky. I believe your polaris winch is a direct bolt on to it. It mounts behind the radiator as well.
Its $326.00 plus shipping through GOWARN.COM.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Take it from a RZR owner who has a EMP extreme bumper, get it you'll love it! It works great for bashing through saplings when U need to widen a trail. You don't need a radiator reinforcement do-hicky either. No more blindly digging for that winch freespool handle when U need it, it's right there within easy reach on top of the bumper! That, in itself, is one of the reasons I bought one. The black one matches the RZR too if that's important. It's not bad to install. I too have the bed cover and love it. I also have their lift kit and 2 inch receiver. Will be getting a roof and windshield at some point too. Maybe they will give me a good deal on those with all the great compliments I've given them on here the past few months! ClevelandRZR, PM me buddy:)

·
Cummins+RZR=<3
288 Posts
No braces required with the EMP bumper and free shipping for members. Mounts behind your radiator.

- Extreme Metal Products, LLC
Take it from a RZR owner who has a EMP extreme bumper, get it you'll love it! It works great for bashing through saplings when U need to widen a trail. You don't need a radiator reinforcement do-hicky either. No more blindly digging for that winch freespool handle when U need it, it's right there within easy reach on top of the bumper! That, in itself, is one of the reasons I bought one. The black one matches the RZR too if that's important. It's not bad to install. I too have the bed cover and love it. I also have their lift kit and 2 inch receiver. Will be getting a roof and windshield at some point too. Maybe they will give me a good deal on those with all the great compliments I've given them on here the past few months! ClevelandRZR, PM me buddy:)
I have one too and its DISGUSTING! I would recommend it to anyone. You will have to remount your winch to a point that's higher on the RZRs center of gravity, but realistically its only about 10" difference. Plus the aesthetics of this bumper are phenomenal!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, you guys have convinced me, I'm going to have to order the EMP and just suck it up and move the winch. Sounds like removing it is easy enought, but I guess I'll have to get new power cables as this is the Polaris unit so from what I gather, the wires aren't long enough. I've got enough shade tree mechanics in my neighborhood that I'm sure someone will be able to help me through it. I appreciated everyone's input. It's what makes this forum great. Can get opinions before spending money on something you might regret later.
Ray

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ok, you guys have convinced me, I'm going to have to order the EMP and just suck it up and move the winch. Sounds like removing it is easy enought, but I guess I'll have to get new power cables as this is the Polaris unit so from what I gather, the wires aren't long enough. I've got enough shade tree mechanics in my neighborhood that I'm sure someone will be able to help me through it. I appreciated everyone's input. It's what makes this forum great. Can get opinions before spending money on something you might regret later.
Ray
When you get the winch out, you can remove its mount as well. cables are sold in rolls at any napa store, just take in a piece of your cable and match it to size, and get 4 crimp on eyelets and youre ready.

Im installing mine this weekend!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ray
When you get the winch out, you can remove its mount as well. cables are sold in rolls at any napa store, just take in a piece of your cable and match it to size, and get 4 crimp on eyelets and youre ready.

Im installing mine this weekend!
Probably go's without saying, but before you disconnect the cables for the winch, disconnect the battery to be safe. Also, when hooking up the new cables to the winch solenoid, be careful not to over tighten, the lugs are only plated copper or brass and can break pretty easy... Ask me how I would know this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for those bits of advice. And just to be sure I understand this whole winch relocation. When I extend the length of the power cables, I'll be attaching the "new" cable to the ends of the old one (where it attached to the solenoid winch) right? Because it looks like the box that they run into (switch box mounted on the inside "firewall") has the wires running into them and can't be disconnected or removed, will just have to be extended from the "loops" that are now attached to the solenoid, correct? And also, one other question. The opening of what looks like plastic of the front bumper that was removed when the Polaris winch was installed, can that be replaced so I don't have that big whole there? And if so, anyone know what it's called and where to get it? based on the pictures I've seen of the EMP bumper, it looks like it will be a visible opening if I don't close it up.
Ray

1 - 20 of 22 Posts