Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
ohh what a weekend UTV Takeover was!!! Go check out my facebook and IG to see some pics and videos, I still have some more to post when I get time and people are still sending me stuff too.

Here's a pic of the wild ride I had on one of my passes...

View attachment 680641
I'd love to hear the story behind this picture...

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Kevin...what are your general thoughts for improving the rear suspension action with the new shocks ? ... I mean what rear suspension adjustments would you change the most ... Rebound ...?....too reduce packing under power in the chop . I'm sure every track is different
It looked a little hairy on the one run, cool pics
The shocks I was running last weekend are Marvin Shaws, while I still think they are going to be great for me on a prepped, packed and groomed track, they are not going to work on races like this one in the dunes or if the sand is too soft. They just don't have enough travel for stuff like that, they have 5.5" of travel, just driving out across the dunes to the track was terrible, it felt like I was in a go kart with no suspension. I'm going to dig my stock fox shocks out and start working on those to get them setup for stuff like that. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, I know I'm going to lighten them up and look into different springs for it. They currently have ST springs on them but the issue with those is they are too tall and I can't get the rzr low enough. I'm thinking I might just try to find a single spring setup for them and maybe try turning them down to shave some weight.

Another option is to get some of the ADS shocks, which are very similar to the MS shocks but have more travel. The Angel Performance x3 was running those and they said they have 18" of travel on the rears. I tried to get some from ADS this winter but they weren't very willing to work with me on figuring out the valving and I had no idea what I needed. I'm not planning anymore racing at dunes events for this year so I have some time to figure it out I guess. Now it's time to focus on getting it setup to run on tracks the rest of this year.

Another issue was my paddles, I thought I would need some 16.50 paddles and it turns out I sure do. It was my fault for waiting near the last minute to try and get them, and I wasn't able to score any. I was just blowing the tires off right on the line and the suspension would unload. About 60 foot out it would finally start to hook up and get up on the sand, then it pulled like a rocket ship. I was not down on power at all with the other cars, we were just down on traction. I have a really good feeling that I'll get it to work better in a week at my local track, I'll hook up much better here and it will be smoother on the shocks. I'm hoping we'll see some impressive times, if I can keep the engine running as good as it was at takeover.

I've been running this engine for almost 2 years now and it's a beast, and I think it's making more power right now than I ever expected it could. I have room left in this turbo to make a lot more power too, the highest boost I saw all weekend was 28 psi. It's going to be an entirely different animal when I start running it above 40-50 psi...

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I'd love to hear the story behind this picture...
It happened so fast... I had just let off the gas at the end of the track and I hit those whoops. Next thing I know I'm looking down at the sand, gripping the wheel, and say "oh shiiii"! I'm not sure if I said that audibly or just in my head but I remember that lol. As far as what went through my head after that I can't elaborate much on, I just know that I stayed calm and stayed off of the brakes and kept it from going over, and as soon as the rear came down I stabbed the gas a little to try and settle it down and it worked. God was watching over me on that day!

In no way at all do I feel like this is anyone's fault other than my own, for not paying more attention to the track conditions better. The cars that ran before me didn't have this issue and I didn't have any issues on any of the runs before it. The track was changing fast with the strong winds we had that day and it just got away from us fast. The UTV Takeover crew did a great job of shutting things down and fixing the whoops in the track before anyone else ran on it. I know I learned from this and I'll keep a better eye on things like that in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin. Keep us posted on your next steps its always entertaining and interesting to read your posts (y)

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
It happened so fast... I had just let off the gas at the end of the track and I hit those whoops. Next thing I know I'm looking down at the sand, gripping the wheel, and say "oh shiiii"! I'm not sure if I said that audibly or just in my head but I remember that lol. As far as what went through my head after that I can't elaborate much on, I just know that I stayed calm and stayed off of the brakes and kept it from going over, and as soon as the rear came down I stabbed the gas a little to try and settle it down and it worked. God was watching over me on that day!

In no way at all do I feel like this is anyone's fault other than my own, for not paying more attention to the track conditions better. The cars that ran before me didn't have this issue and I didn't have any issues on any of the runs before it. The track was changing fast with the strong winds we had that day and it just got away from us fast. The UTV Takeover crew did a great job of shutting things down and fixing the whoops in the track before anyone else ran on it. I know I learned from this and I'll keep a better eye on things like that in the future.
Wow!
I can only imagine how fast things happen in that machine.

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Testing went pretty good this weekend at the track, I hit a pretty big goal I have had throughout this build!!! I ran a 3.98 @ 77.8 mph

I have lots of room for improvement still, I'll keep working and pushing to try and go faster. I think the next event for me will be SXSBlog's raceday coming up in 3 weeks. I need to get my hood fixed up so it doesn't blow off, I did get some pins to install and hold it down, I just need to take some time to get them installed.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

I finally had some time to make a shifter I designed a few months ago for the rzr, turned out pretty good.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Machine gun Auto part

161 - 168 of 168 Posts