Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
It's almost ready, I just need a few fittings to finish the plumbing so I can start it up. Hopefully they will arrive today or tomorrow so I can get it running this weekend. I finished up the exhaust, but I'm not 100% satisfied with how it turned out. It will work, but I might remake it later. We aimed it downward like that to make sure stuff couldn't come up into the exhaust but I'm thinking I went down too far and kind of want to turn it out sooner. Either way it will run the way it is so I'll give it some time and see how it does before I spend more time on that. Also I'm going to make a bracket to bolt between the 2 exhaust pipes and hold them in place so they can't come together and rattle. In that pic you can see how the exhaust from the wastegate is hanging a little low, this bracket will keep that from happening.

I also want to give a big shoutout to @SuperATV for helping me pick out a great pair of axles and for getting them shipped to me so quickly! I ended up going with the Rhino 2.0 axles, I think they are going to work great for me. We discussed a lot about the trade-off's for weight and strength and felt that those would be the best balance of both for me. I didn't put them on a scale but comparing them to stock, they feel like they are very close in weight, possibly a little lighter than the stock axles, I'm very impressed

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Yellow Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Automotive design Automotive exterior Wheel Tire Automotive tire Yellow Asphalt

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Looks great ....last winter I think you said you were try to reduce as much weight as possible. How many pounds were you able to dump ?

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Looks great ....last winter I think you said you were try to reduce as much weight as possible. How many pounds were you able to dump ?
Preliminary weight estimates: I think I shed enough to reach my goals of getting under 1500 lbs. Based on how easy it is to move around now when pushing it, I can tell it is significantly lighter than last year.

I have not had a chance to go borrow some scales and weigh it yet though so I am not sure of the exact amount. I will hopefully get a chance to get a weight on it soon though, I will update that when I know for sure

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,451 Posts
They are what, about 1800 new/stock? Maybe 1900 wet?

Good luck!!

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
They are what, about 1800 new/stock? Maybe 1900 wet?

Good luck!!
I was 1812lbs (wet) at the end of last year when I ran the 4.50

I would say I was heavier than a completely stock rzr, I had a full .120 wall cage, and the doors I had were heavy. Over the winter/spring I built a much lighter cage, switched to lighter weight doors, took off the fox shocks with ST springs for some marvin shaws, and removed some other stuff to lose weight

·
6,710 Posts
I can't remember if its already been brought up in here, but have you considered scooping and grooving your tires? Its a huge thing in the mud world to cut tire weight. Even with smaller tires, you could cut a ton of weight. Not sure how much you can get off those paddle tires....but there's definitely some meat to spare.

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I can't remember if its already been brought up in here, but have you considered scooping and grooving your tires? Its a huge thing in the mud world to cut tire weight. Even with smaller tires, you could cut a ton of weight.
That's a solid point that may not have been brought up yet. The tires you see in those pics are just my stock tires I use for rollers. I have a set of the STU 1300+ paddles that are comp cut on the packard ultralight wheels.

I was surprised at how light that setup turned out, considering I went from a 14" wheel to a 15" and the newer tires are bigger also. It was about 4-5 lbs lighter per tire than my previous setup, which was a set of the sand sports sxs paddles comp cut on the DWT ultimate's.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,451 Posts
I seem to remember things poorly. We had a guy on this forum once post pics of his XPT while on wheel scales. I recall the pax front being lightest at 425, and I thought the drivers rear was heaviest at something like 460. That may have been wet, I don't remember. I think he called it "as I picked it up", so wet, but maybe not full of fuel. Anyway, here's what I find these days:

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,451 Posts
Damn, this was hard to find but here:

Here is a cut and paste too because I've seen that pic not display before. The front is lighter then I remember @ 730, with the back @ 882

His thread shows us a 2016 XPT in spectra orange.

The 2018 estimated dry weights from Polaris are 8 lbs lighter. (1495 down to 1487).

So ready to run, factory, no people or accessories = 1600lb

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
So I should have clarified this better, but that 1812 lbs was wet with me in the rzr @dafish. It was 1628 lbs without me in it and still wet (full of fluids). So with that I was pretty close to but just slightly heavier than a stock rzr is. Another point to make about my weight last year is that I had deleted the bed also, which saved me some weight but the heavier cage and doors added back to my total weight.

Without me in it:
LF = 387
RF = 384
LR = 429
RR = 427

With me in it:
LF = 444
RF = 420
LR = 506
RR = 442

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 · (Edited)
I'm overdue for an update:

Despite the weather I have had a few chances to test (7 passes), not as many as I would like but better than no testing. The potential is there, I can tell the suspension is working like I want, once I get the fueling better it is going to be fast. I'm making too much power to do much testing on the street now, just rolling into it down my street and the wheel spin is too much to get good data, plus some of my neighbors are now giving me dirty looks lol.

I will have some better updates to provide after UTV Takeover but for now I'm keeping things a little close to me. It's looking like we are going to get a pretty good turnout of fast cars at takeover, I'm looking forward to it and hoping I can get the tuning lined out so I can perform at our best.

In the meantime here's a recent pic of it after I had the doors wrapped to match the plastics, it's not a perfect match but very close. I also need to get a couple stickers on it still just haven't had the time to sit down and decide where to put them yet

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Is that a solid strut in place of the rear shocks or air shocks?

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
ohh what a weekend UTV Takeover was!!! Go check out my facebook and IG to see some pics and videos, I still have some more to post when I get time and people are still sending me stuff too.

Here's a pic of the wild ride I had on one of my passes...

Sky Automotive tire Vehicle Wood Landscape

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,451 Posts
Machine looks great Kevin!

Reactions: Stairway2Kevin

·
Morris Racing #711
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Thanks!

I need bigger paddles for the soft sand now. Luckily next race is on my home track where I should hook up a little better and maybe I won't blow the tires off so bad

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Kevin...what are your general thoughts for improving the rear suspension action with the new shocks ? ... I mean what rear suspension adjustments would you change the most ... Rebound ...?....too reduce packing under power in the chop . I'm sure every track is different
It looked a little hairy on the one run, cool pics

141 - 160 of 168 Posts