Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Such a cool project man! Great work, cant wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
yeah I have a cover for where the factory one was at to delete it.

I can't tell you off the top of my head how big the factory core is, the core in this one is 4x4x10

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,208 Posts
Any specific benefit to running the IC pre TB as opposed to post TB?

Than thing is going to sound wicked with the exhaust and w/g routed like that..leaving both straight piped i'm assuming?

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Any specific benefit to running the IC pre TB as opposed to post TB?

Than thing is going to sound wicked with the exhaust and w/g routed like that..leaving both straight piped i'm assuming?
No real benefits that I know of it's just how I had to do it since I'm going to still use the stock plenum. I'm working on a design for a new plenum that I might make when I get a chance to, and I might do it with the intercooler in it like the factory, I'm not 100% on that yet.

Yes on the exhaust, what you see is what it is going to be. I can't wait to hear it, should see some good fireballs on the 2 step too :cool:

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's almost been 2 weeks so here's an update:

Valve cover, intake plenum, intake tubes/intercooler and turbo compressor housing are all getting powder coated, supposed to be done this week.
I'm waiting on all of the -an lines, fittings and a few misc parts and gaskets, ordered on Monday.

Once I get all of that stuff and assembled the only thing left will be the motec/harness. The ecu is supposed to come with a startup tune so it shouldn't take long after that to get it fired up.

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I picked up the stuff from powder coat yesterday and had time last night to put it back on and wrap the header in exhaust wrap. I ran out of clips before I could get the exhaust after the turbo wrapped so I had to order some more before I'll be able to finish that up. I'm still waiting on the -an fittings and line for the turbo oil and water lines but have all of the stuff for the fuel system. I'm going to try and get all of the fuel system plumbed today or tomorrow.

IMG_2357.jpg IMG_2359.jpg IMG_2364.JPG IMG_2366.JPG

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I finished wrapping the exhaust, got the turbo oil lines and fuel system all plumbed and finished. The only thing left is the water lines for the turbo and intercooler, I didn't like how I was going to have to route them with what I already had so I ordered some different fittings for the turbo water lines. They should get here in a few days and I can finish up all of that. The only thing left after that is the motec I'm still waiting for... maybe that will show up soon

IMG_2375.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finished wrapping the exhaust, got the turbo oil lines and fuel system all plumbed and finished. The only thing left is the water lines for the turbo and intercooler, I didn't like how I was going to have to route them with what I already had so I ordered some different fittings for the turbo water lines. They should get here in a few days and I can finish up all of that. The only thing left after that is the motec I'm still waiting for... maybe that will show up soon

View attachment 653729
Your doing an amazing build!

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Plumbing is 95% done, only 2 things left, one of the lines for the catch can and the water lines for the intercooler. Just waiting for a couple fittings and clamps to finish those up, should have it all done by the end of this week. Plus I was informed on Monday that the Motec and M&W ignition is on the way, I wasn't given any tracking on it so hopefully it arrives today or tomorrow. If all of that happens I might get to start it up and do a couple heat cycles on it this weekend.

IMG_2392.jpg

Disregard that the one line coming from the water pump housing to the y fitting is missing, I took this pic before I had it on, it's there now.

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Guess what arrived last night :)

I still have a few things to do and make some plug wires but I might get to heat cycle the engine tonight and bleed the cooling system. I'm adding sensors for the fuel pressure, oil pressure, water pressure and a 5 bar map sensor. I ordered a manifold block from Holley so I can mount the sensors safely away from the engine, and I went ahead and got a vacuum manifold block too, I wasn't really liking the spider web of vacuum lines I'm starting to get. Some advice to anyone that gets into building a setup like this; don't overlook how much you're going to spend on all of the little things here and there to put it all together.

IMG_2418.jpg IMG_2420.JPG

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I got it fired up last night for a little bit, enough to heat cycle it a few times and bleed the cooling system. I had a pretty large bubble, I cracked the screw 3 times and was still getting some air. It was getting late so rather than piss off the neighbors I stopped and I'll bleed it again today and then it should be good. I'm making some changes to the clutches and those parts are supposed to arrive tomorrow so I can get those on and maybe be able to take it for a drive this weekend if I get time.

I have a few videos that I can upload later or if you're on fb here's my page https://www.facebook.com/MorrisRacing711/

·
Registered
852 Posts
A goal of 350hp at the wheels and you feel limited because you didn’t do some things to the engine!

jesus

first, props. ive followed some of your posts and knew you were making power, but dude, hats off.

im curious now though. What didn’t you do?

close to 5hp per liter at the crank... (speechless..)

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A goal of 350hp at the wheels and you feel limited because you didn’t do some things to the engine!

jesus

first, props. ive followed some of your posts and knew you were making power, but dude, hats off.

im curious now though. What didn’t you do?

close to 5hp per liter at the crank... (speechless..)
Thank you for your kind words and I appreciate all of the support that I have received from everyone in the rzr community. If you're on fb I encourage you to go follow my page there, I post more pictures, videos and live updates of the project and at races on that page.

The limiting factors in the engine for this year are because I'm running stock sized valves instead of larger ones, I'm running 9.5:1 cp pistons instead of their lower cr pistons for high boost, and there's some cam modifications that I didn't do yet.

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
One thing I've learned from all of this is that it takes a lot of patience, and patience hasn't always been one of my strong points. When I started this I wasn't imagining it would take so long. But now with the world events of this year and just my own life events I can see I will still need to keep my patience as it's going to take me well into 2021, maybe even 2022 before I will be pushing this to it's full potential. Just hearing it start and idle this week has shown me how my patience is paying off, that's been one of the most rewarding moments I have had this year.

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I was able to spend some time with John last night calibrating the ecu and we believe it's ready to drive, it was idling good and everything seems to be functioning. I had a few things to button up before I drive it, so I worked on those last night and after work today I'll have a chance to drive it. I'm also working on getting on a dyno next Thursday, if we can get that done and things go smoothly, there's a race next saturday at my local track and I might get to send it. 🤞

·
Morris Racing #711
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I spent a couple hours on the dyno last night; I learned some stuff, had some fun, made some power, and took a giant leap forward.

This Motec package is amazing and John's tuning is spot on. Over the last week I have been working on little things and just slowly tuning the fuel map to get it to drive around and start making sure everything is working good in hopes that it wouldn't come apart on the dyno. I was able to get it driving a little, not really that smoothly but at least driving around to make sure everything is good and get some break in time on the engine. Just a few hours on the dyno with John (logged in remotely, he's in Oregon) and now it's ripping! We're not 100% there yet but big difference from where I was with it before yesterday.

So I imagine the first thing everybody wants to know is how much power it made... Unfortunately there are a few things that kept us from seeing numbers that actually represent what it's doing, the important part was the data we got from it and getting it ready to send it down the track. I'm currently still using the stock 3 bar map sensor so we are restricted to about 28 psi right now, once I add a 5 bar we can turn the boost up. I think it's really going to come to life once I can get north of 35 psi. I was running a softer (red) spring in the primary to try and lower my engagement rpm (5k with the red spring) for break in and weights were on the heavy side. With the clutching being off we were only able to get up to 7800 rpm, we want it to be up around 8800-9k. After I got home I changed to the stiffer (white) spring and took some weight out of the cam arms to try and bring that all up. I didn't get to test it last night, it was too late for me to run it up the street in town at that point, so I will today when I get home. Another thing I learned is that I need some slicks or drag radials for the dyno and street tuning. I sold my 30" tires earlier this year so my only option was to use the stock bighorns. It's hard to get much data when I go from 10 mph to 70 mph in just a few seconds on the dyno. Not 100% but from how the tires looked afterwards, I'm pretty sure I was spinning some on the dyno.

I will say that it put down a better number than I did on the old setup and on the street the butt dyno says I'm making a lot more than what the dyno said. I'll see how that translates on the track tomorrow.

The best part is everything is working as it should, no issues, nothing broke, the motor seems extremely happy and I'm ready to test at the track. I'm over the moon that it went so smoothly, it really shows the attention to detail that everyone involved has put into it. I can't praise them all enough for that!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts