Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
For folks who have done metal buildings what the things you wish had done or had not done during construction.
Went bigger then 60’x40’ :) I think really only thing different on mine would have been taller eaves = taller doors. My doors are 12’. Wish I had went with at least 16’ doors. Amazing how much stuff shows up since I built it 12 yrs ago.
Nice thing about metal frame shops, you can add wiring, air lines…..fairly easy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Must haves: air and outlets throughout the shop. Beer fridge and comfortable seating when you are done wrenching.

All you guys with your “dedicated” shops are making me jealous. I have the buildings 42x56 (has 2 trucks, car, RZR, 2 horse trailers, hay, tack room and stall) not much room for anything else. 102x60 dedicated for indoor horse arena.

Putting the windshield on the RZR in 20 degree weather wasnt the highlight of the day.

Rzr_joe - i would like to run an air filtration question by you. I think i can send a private message dont want to hijack your thread.

Awesome shop!

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
913 Posts
Joe - who makes the building? We're adding a 35 x 70 to our ranch for a garage/indoor archery range, and red iron is silly expensive. Yours looks like what we've been considering and we're wondering about quality and rigidity...?

Thanks! PM if you wish.

All the best, James

·
Super Moderator
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Joe - who makes the building?
I used a local company here in NC. I would not recommend the company I used but that's another story. As far as the building goes it's very nice and I'm pleased with how it turned out. If you go this route make sure to upgrade the steel trusses to 10g and the roof/siding to 20g. Also make sure to get engineered plans specific to your building. We have to meet 110mph wind requirements so that should give you some idea of the strength.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Joe,

I am here in Texas and my shop has a concrete slab. I hate how cold it gets in the winter. If you lay on or get near the floor it radiates cold. I have a propane furnace and wood stove. In the past I have left the furnace on 50 but this year I am trying 60 to see if it helps. I also have a lot of 3/4" foam interlocking mats that help but they tend to either get greasy or oily or I forget to move them far enough away from the welding area and they get burned.
When I build a new one I will either go with in floor heating or overhead infrared propane heaters.
What is your strategy going to be for the cold floor?

·
Super Moderator
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I keep the building 60F when I'm not there and 73F when out there working. The 3 Ton MSS heats up the space quickly. I would have done radiant floor heating if we had natural gas. I could have done a LP boiler but did not want to deal with a big tank. If you have NG radiant floor heating is the ticket and supplement it with overhead Infared radiant heat.

We don't have too cold of winters so I'll live with a cool floor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
908 Posts
I keep the building 60F when I'm not there and 73F when out there working. The 3 Ton MSS heats up the space quickly. I would have done radiant floor heating if we had natural gas. I could have done a LP boiler but did not want to deal with a big tank. If you have NG radiant floor heating is the ticket and supplement it with overhead Infared radiant heat.

We don't have too cold of winters so I'll live with a cool floor :rolleyes:
Only propane here. I have a 250 gallon tank for the house and woodworking shop and another 250 gallon for my metal fab shop. I am installing a Generac 14kW this week so will be changing it to a 500 gallon. If I build a new shop I guess I will have to get another 500. I want to keep the 500 for the generator nearly full all of the time for power outages.

My current fab shop only has 10' ceilings so a 2 post lift won't work so I spent lots of time on or near the floor. I did just order a Bendpak 6k portable scissor lift so with it and an adjustable back creeper and/or stool I will be a little farther away from the cold floor

Does the Daiken MS work down in the single digits?

·
Registered
908 Posts
The 3T is a 12.5 SEER and can cool down to 50F ambient or 14F with a low ambient kit. It will heat down to 5F ambient.
Thanks. I looked up Raleigh as compared to my location in north Texas. Our winter lows are about 2 degrees of each other but it gets hotter here.
I just hate cold weather and the cold concrete. Kinda funny that in our Colorado place single digits there feel warmer than the 50's do here. I think because its so dry there and usually more sun

·
Super Moderator
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Unboxed the cabinets and found 4 of 18 damaged during shipping. All damaged areas are on one of the back corners. I think I can straighten them and you'll never notice but I'm still going to make them replace them or refund the cost. Not sure how I'm going to arrange them at the moment.

Back will finished and two rows of the ceiling installed. Cover the frame supports with some faux beams I made out of scrap.

Building Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

201 - 220 of 231 Posts