Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let's talk security cameras and networking. The plan is to run (2) Cat 6 cables in a 1" conduit out to the building. I figured while I was at it I'd add security cameras to the house and shop and replace my Netgear wifi extenders. I want to be able to view the cameras via app on my smart TVs.

Leaning towards Google Nest wifi extendres and Arlo cameras. What have you used and what do you like/dislike?
I ran a 2” conduit from my house to the shop for a phone line and CAT 6 for fiber (and any other future cables). I’m using a TP-Link AC 1900 duel band router and I have great WiFi signal everywhere in the shop.

I’m using blink wireless cameras at the moment and I installed Ring security system in the shop, which is pretty cool I can arm and disarm using app on my phone as well as the keypad inside the shop.

·
Registered
18’ RS1, soon stretched, portals, 35’s
1,086 Posts
I had to sift through all the way back to page 2 but you mention the building sits 200’ behind the house and would have to trench 300’ ish for water. You may already know but 300’ is about max meow 6 or meow 6a cable. Either way you should be good. Don’t get wrapped around about meow 7 cable bc the advertisement speeds is good for about 45’ and then drops like a rock. I’d hardline from house 1000mbs (1 gig) switch to same capable in the shop. Then you can keep the speeds, hardline your tv/desktop/etc and also a wifi for mobile devices like phones, tablets and so on. Not sure of your isp speeds but I can’t imagine it would be too slow.

Cameras I’ll stay out of as I just run the cheap systems from Amazon and have worked fine for years and even has an app. Ordered without a hard drive as I have them laying around to save a little. All wifi cams, just need power. Main box I plug straight into my switch, not my router. But your setup may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Super Moderator
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
No cooling yet one as one of the seals in my gauges was bad preventing me from pulling the system down to 500 microns :mad: Try again today after replacing them. Can't start the interior wood finish work until I get some dehumidification going. August on the coast of NC is brutal, it's 95F+ with 80-90% humidity 🥵

The conduit runs for power and ethernet are about 125'. Going to pull (2) Cat 6 underground cables from the house cable modem to a wireless router in the shop. That way I'll have 1Ghz capability if TWC ever decides to upgrade service or AT&T installs fiber someday.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'd suggest a PoE gig switch and a good WiFi AP. That way you can hardwire the cameras as well. You won't need the router part of a WiFi router if you are already behind your main router.

I don't know enough to give you good suggestions on the camera side, other than wired are better and more preferred than wireless. With PoE, wired cameras are almost as convenient as wireless as far as placement.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I couldn’t help but laugh when you posted that, all bc you put WAP. Now some may get that but most may not. If you google “Cardi B WAP” and watch the music video for the lyrics and “WAP” then you’ll get why my sides hurt from laughing.

·
Super Moderator
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Impressed with this little Daikin unit, 95F outside 68F inside 😁 Simple clean installation and takes up very little space. It costs a bit more than your typical mini-split but the NV Series Daikin has a lot of cool features. We do a lot of commercial systems and I'm really impressed 🤔

Now I can move onto sealing the building envelope and start the interior walls (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
We had a lot of mini splits overseas so I’m familiar with them.
you mention the envelope and as it stands we just had our offer accepted for 7.61 acres of land. I’m already in full geek mode again about efficiency and building. Deciding to build a house first and then shop but I now know I’ll have space and can do basically what I want since it’s zoned as agricultural.
Im looking at 2x8 advanced framed, shuco (spelling) windows, zip r3 or 6 with Rockwool in cavities etc etc. so now I’m looking at smaller mini splits as the load shouldn’t be as high and therefore size the unit down as apposed to a normal load calculation.
Anyway, to stay on topic, once done with the house, I’ll move on to building a shop finally, which is why I’m in this thread. I have it planned now for a 40x60 with 12’ “lean to’s” all the way around. Eventually closing in a 40’ side to make a “granny flat” to move aging mother back up from florida. I like some of the ideas in here, it allows me to see certain things done and not on my dime lmao.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I work in the HVAC OEM industry. I sell tubing and other components to all the big names. Mini splits are normally looked down upon in the USA. Everyone wants the entire house the same temp. In Europe and Asia, they are the norm. It is actually much more efficient to only cool the living space occupied at the time. I think in the next 10-15 years, we will see a big shift to more zone type air conditioning. Why cool all 2500-3000 square foot to 70 degrees for 8-10 hours when you can just cool the bedroom? It can cut utility bills in half. Tankless on demand water heaters are also becoming more common. We are spoiled with cheap energy in the USA. Of course I love it. My house is 70 degrees when I am on vacation for a week riding the RZR!

My dream is to retire and build a super insulated home with mini splits and all power supplied from solar. We can all dream.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My dream is to retire and build a super insulated home with mini splits and all power supplied from solar. We can all dream.
Retirement may be a lil further out but I’m starting the others as of today.

We need more updates, photos, and performance of the new shop Joe, can’t just leave us out here in the heat

-Sarge-

·
Super Moderator
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
I got the air compressor fired up and working. The motors are 7.5HP three phase so I needed way to run it on 240V single phase. A VFD can be used to convert single phase to three phase. I have a host of VFDs at the office so I tried a 10HP JCI (Eaton) 208V 3P wired on a 30A 240V 1P circuit. No matter how I programmed the drive it would trip on under voltage or over current and the 3P output voltage was very unstable. I messed with it for few hours and gave up. I think it would have worked fine if it were wired directly to the motor so the motor could soft start and ramp up. I had to set the ramp rate to .1s(min) because the motor needs full power instantly to turn the compressor against the air pressure. The duplex panel uses motor starters to index each compressor and I think the end rush when the motor starters engaged was causing feedback to the drive.

Anyway....ordered a cheap 240v 30A phase convertor from Amazon. Wired it up and viola.....runs like a top. It's fairly quiet compared to my Ingersol Rand 80G 7.5HP compressor in the other shop. The duplex panel lead / lags the compressor and auto rotates them to equalize run time. Tested the recoup rate - 80psi to 120psi on a 120G tank in 65s with both compressors running. Now I can move it to it's permanent location outside under the lean-to (y)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't spend much time in shop where TV would be needed myself. Tablet with all manuals for fleet and wifi access is most important. Next is fridge full of cold drinks and some music none stop. Some good shop stuff like comfortable creeper and wheeled work stools are used more than the tools in my wheeled boxes. Get work done, lock the doors and go have fun.
Great looking shop. Having AC might make it too comfy. Once you get a bathroom might not see the wife and kids much... that could be a bonus depending on situation :) need a dog house break some times

181 - 200 of 231 Posts