Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of building their own turbo system? I'm considering it and have got most of the way through it. Here's what I have:

Garrett GT15...............................$611.99 Jay Racing
Garrett GT20................................$699.00 Auto & truck performance parts & aftermarket car parts from HorsepowerFreaks
Off the shelf air/water i/c................$169.00 Air to Water Intercooler
Custom air/air intercooler. ...............$300-$700 Bell Intercoolers
Custom air/water intercooler............$600-$900 Bell Intercoolers
Custom radiator (heat exchanger).....$440.00 www.streetrodstuff.com
Turbo Flanges................................$60-$100 Auto & truck performance parts & aftermarket car parts from HorsepowerFreaks
Digital boost gauge (high-end)..........$195-250 TurboNeonStore.com - SRT-4 Performance Parts
Hoses, Pipe....................................$20-60 too many to list

The only thing I'm struggling with is a custom header. I'm sure there are speed/muffler shops around that will do that though.

Sound interesting?

·
mud is overrated
431 Posts
looks like you forgot engine management and the hardware associated with additional fueling ...as well as different clutching. I agree with you though, it can be done cheaper especially if you have the know how or friends that do.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
It is a lot more complicated than it sounds.
I would get a kit just for the product support. that way if you do have an issue they will be there to help you troubleshoot it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have fuel management and an after-market clutch, admittedly not optimum for a turbo set up, but it's a starting point. Everyone I know with a race car, sand rail, banshee, etc., is constantly *tweaking* and *improving*.

·
Sand Pimp
926 Posts
Attitude industries sells a 3rd injector fuel programmer and the right injector to go with it.
Pure logic has the same. This is the one K&T uses.

U can build one for about half the cost of a "kit" ....

It just takes the balls to try it!!!! But be prepared to do spme tuning.

But u for sure have to have an air fuel. Guage and a boost guage so u can tune ur s properly...

Btw.... U can get an intercooler a lot cheaper than $3-700 , keep searching.lol...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Attitude industries sells a 3rd injector fuel programmer and the right injector to go with it.
Pure logic has the same. This is the one K&T uses.

U can build one for about half the cost of a "kit" ....

It just takes the balls to try it!!!! But be prepared to do spme tuning.

But u for sure have to have an air fuel. Guage and a boost guage so u can tune ur s properly...

Btw.... U can get an intercooler a lot cheaper than $3-700 , keep searching.lol...
Thanks for the info. I had looked into Pure Logic, just didn't put it up in my original post and didn't think I would do that in V1. Guess I'll review that further.

Thanks also for the encouragement.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
jf you like adventure,build your own, if you want to ride buy a kit. you can build one and save money but youll be working hard to match todays kits, I would see if you can talk one of our vendors into selling you the header for it , as their really stressed in a turbo set up , between temp and weight of turbo, or exspansion if you bracket turbo to engine... If you let us know which way you go etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I built one for my Mustang and it really wasn't that hard. It is basically a stock 5.0 engine and it put down 544 rwhp. Putting together a system for the rzr would be the easy part it is the electronics, fuel, and timing that would take time to get correct.

·
Sand Pimp
926 Posts
None of the stage 1 "kits" retard the timing.

Dynatek sells a adjustable cdi w a retard setting.

There are a coupke of vendors that have there own dynatek turbo or boost programs.
MPI and K&T are a couple......

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jf you like adventure,build your own, if you want to ride buy a kit. you can build one and save money but youll be working hard to match todays kits, I would see if you can talk one of our vendors into selling you the header for it , as their really stressed in a turbo set up , between temp and weight of turbo, or exspansion if you bracket turbo to engine... If you let us know which way you go etc.
Alright...I ran this through Google translate, but they weren't sure what the origin language was. Are you saying that if I buy the parts and build my own turbo, it will be an adventure and I won't ride? Wanna bet? I plan on starting out with minimal boost and working my way up and I'm a patient s-o-b. As far as the "header-stressed-weight-turbo" comment goes, huh? Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
None of the stage 1 "kits" retard the timing.

Dynatek sells a adjustable cdi w a retard setting.

There are a coupke of vendors that have there own dynatek turbo or boost programs.
MPI and K&T are a couple......
Again...thank you!

·
Boats and ***s
3,184 Posts
as long as you know what your doing as understand how a turbo works, piecing a kit together is actually easy, and way less then half the cost of a kit. i am currently piecing my parts together. was hoping to have it done by Halloween, but doesn't look like i will :(

a third injector is not required, you can get bigger injectors, around 500cc. a pc3 can control the injectors at idle, normal riding, and add fuel per pound of boost. the ideal way for timing is to get a module and retard timing per pound of boost.

turbo....... look on craigslist for a 94 eclipse turbo, or if your lucky, a ball bearing turbo from a s14/15.

Custom air/air intercooler. ...............intercoolers are extremely cheap on ebay, as well as the flanges for the turbo.

Custom radiator (heat exchanger)..... can get away with a stock radiator

Turbo Flanges................................ebay, really cheap

Digital boost gauge (high-end).......... get a analog from autometer, cheaper

Hoses, Pipe.................................... can get hoses from napa, and 90 degree hosing as well, or use j-bends and custom fit and weld

manifold................... cut off flange from old stock header and you can go to a plumbing store and get cast iron 90s and straights and custom build your own

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very intersting thread,I've been doing alot of research on building my own turbo kit as well ,I already have a GT20 sitting on the shelf,so it's a matter of getting all the pices together.
I've been talking with the guys over at Pure Logic witchs looks to be the guys that designed and builds the K&T turbo kits,there have been a big help.
I just cant justifie spending 4 to 5 thousand on a kit when I just bought a twin turbo kit for my dodge for 3k.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Alright...I ran this through Google translate, but they weren't sure what the origin language was. Are you saying that if I buy the parts and build my own turbo, it will be an adventure and I won't ride? Wanna bet? I plan on starting out with minimal boost and working my way up and I'm a patient s-o-b. As far as the "header-stressed-weight-turbo" comment goes, huh? Can you elaborate?
I don't think he was being "smart", he was offering help..IMHO, I don't want to get in the cross hairs but I'm researching and learning about what both of you are saying... Not using google, I translate what he and others are saying as...Yes you can do this, it's going to be difficult and possibly a gamble with your machine, I thought the recommendation for getting a kit b/c of support was good. Nobodies here to argue and say you can't do this, everyone here who knows a thing about this (not me, I'm learning) is just offering info and maybe some constructive criticism from lessons they've most likely learned.

Good luck with the build, take lots of pictures and log it, you might just make the new "door latch", breakthroughs happen everyday..

1 - 20 of 82 Posts