Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why, I've pushed it way harder in the past and never had an issue, but either way I broke one yesterday.

My question is....is their a better axle to replace the stock axles ? If anyone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get something ordered right away. Thanks, Shaun

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So nobody in here has broke/changed an axle yet huh ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't been around these enough to give an "educated" opinion, but what I do know is that if the axle is too strong to break, then the next weakest thing will. I am not sure what that is on these things, but if it's something like the differential, then I think I will stick to breaking axles. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I broke left rear axle a couple weeks ago. Dealer thought he could get it covered. So he ordered a Polaris replacement then wouldn't cover it I was out 300.00 for a stock axle. I was a little upset. I would spend my 300 toward a Turner or RVC, even a slasher something with warranty.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It seems Polaris will not cover axles but aftermarket warranty companies will.

The axles on the XPT are already stronger than those on the other RZRs.

Think of the axle like a fuse. Something has to go, do you want to buy another axle or a front diff?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
We've broken several rears, all in the dunes. Not jumping or abusing them either.

They all broke in the exact same spot, right at the splines.

We upgraded to RCV's, and no more issues.

We have turbo rears in stock if you need some.

·
Registered
439 Posts
We've broken several rears, all in the dunes. Not jumping or abusing them either.

Kinda funny that I can take my XPT to Hot Springs ORV park or Green Acres and beat the heck out of it rock crawling and mine hold up fine and you guys break them driving "normally". :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts

Kinda funny that I can take my XPT to Hot Springs ORV park or Green Acres and beat the heck out of it rock crawling and mine hold up fine and you guys break them driving "normally". :rolleyes:
Not that uncommon evidently:
http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-turbo/372241-ocotillo-wells-6-hours-later-broken-rear-left-axle.html

My wife broke one going around a bowl in Glamis. Ended up sliding all the way down the bowl.

Sounds like the OP wasn't abusing it either when it broke.

The front axles on a turbo are bigger, but not so sure the back ones are. Never broke one rockrawling either.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I broke both rear in a sand wash in 2wd. It happened so quick I thought I broke the belt. I replaced them with a pair of American CV axles from eBay, $220 for the pair. They're doing fine. My RPM One warranty replaced one of the broken axles. The dealer said he wouldn't submit two axles at the same time, so I'm waiting a few months to submit the other.

IMHO, replacing the axle shafts with Lonestar 300m for $175 each and a lifetime warranty would be the best way to go. But you have to install them on your stock cv's, which is harder then simply replacing the whole axle/cv assembly.

Also, IMHO, the stock cv's are strong enough, but the axle shafts are not.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies, I might see if my aftermarket warranty will cover it. If not, I'll get something a little stronger.

For the record... I have beaten the piss out of my razor on the past and never broke an axle, but for whatever reason this one broke under a very mild ride through some rollers in the desert. Maybe it was already on its way out from previous abuse, but it definitely ruined my day.

Mine broke at the diff, I haven't even taken the thing apart yet, it's just jiggling in the boot, right at the CV joint. Any ideas on getting the piece out of the diff, without prying it out. I watched several YouTube videos, but they were all broken at the wheel side and they gave a good yank to pop them out. Mine seems like it might be a pain in the ass.
Hopefully my warranty will cover it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My passenger side was a major pain to get out. Driver side was easier. I tried vice grips and a slide hammer first, but couldn't get it. Finally found just the right pry bar and got it between the trans case and cv. I forgot exactly how I did it, but I might have put pressure with the pry bar and used the slide hammer too? I'd really like to know how racers do it consistently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you turn it in under warranty make sure to crack the cup if axle broke clean the will say it was over torqued. That's what I was told. Mine broke I didn't even know it. Boot looked funny then it just came apart. I know there are many expert riders on here, but I have had 800- 900- 1000 850 atv never broke a rear axle. Stock rears are weak for the xpt. Polaris rep told me they were designed to break to keep from hurting other parts. I call BS! 8 different machines on the ride that day from 800s to general I was the only one to break anything. Buy a good axle and move on.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
XPT rear shafts are in fact weaker than other model RZR's, but I am not sure what the reasoning behind that was. It could have just been that Polaris changed suppliers, and there was no engineering reasoning behind it. Or it could have been deliberate. I honestly do not know.

The OEM XP1000 rear axle assembly is considered an upgrade from the OEM XPT rear axle assembly.

For you XPT guys who have broken rear shafts, I have lots of OEM take off rear shafts. Some have zero miles. $25 for one shaft, $45 for two, $65 for three, $80 for four. Plus shipping.

Way cheaper than buying a new axle from Polaris for $299.99.

For those who do not know how to rebuild a CV axle assembly, you can ship me your broken parts and as long as you only broke/bent the shaft, I can rebuild it with a new shaft and send it back to you. $100 including the shaft, plus shipping.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I might see if my aftermarket warranty will cover it. If not, I'll get something a little stronger.

For the record... I have beaten the piss out of my razor on the past and never broke an axle, but for whatever reason this one broke under a very mild ride through some rollers in the desert. Maybe it was already on its way out from previous abuse, but it definitely ruined my day.

Mine broke at the diff, I haven't even taken the thing apart yet, it's just jiggling in the boot, right at the CV joint. Any ideas on getting the piece out of the diff, without prying it out. I watched several YouTube videos, but they were all broken at the wheel side and they gave a good yank to pop them out. Mine seems like it might be a pain in the ass.
Hopefully my warranty will cover it.
doesnt work on the stock front dif. but rear axles can be driven out from the other side if there isnt enough left to pull on. this is assuming the turbo rear dif is the same as xp1k

·
Registered
9 Posts
XPT rear shafts are in fact weaker than other model RZR's, but I am not sure what the reasoning behind that was. It could have just been that Polaris changed suppliers, and there was no engineering reasoning behind it. Or it could have been deliberate. I honestly do not know.

The OEM XP1000 rear axle assembly is considered an upgrade from the OEM XPT rear axle assembly.

For you XPT guys who have broken rear shafts, I have lots of OEM take off rear shafts. Some have zero miles. $25 for one shaft, $45 for two, $65 for three, $80 for four. Plus shipping.

For those who do not know how to rebuild a CV axle assembly, you can ship me your broken parts and as long as you only broke/bent the shaft, I can rebuild it with a new shaft and send it back to you. $100 including the shaft, plus shipping.

Do you have a full Oem set for a 16 xp1k?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

Do you have a full Oem set for a 16 xp1k?

I have several sets of shafts, but no CV's however.

We do stock RCV pro series 2 axles if you want to upgrade to the best available though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts