Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a newbie. How crucial is the break-in period? How long should it last And what should be the limitations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Allow the engine to heat cycle 5-6 times and vary rpms during this period to help rings seat. For belt break in just take it easy and use low when doing low speed trails and hill climbs. 20 hrs is the safe bet but just take it easy and dont stress out over it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Two schools of thought on break in. 1) Run it like you stole it. 2) Take it easy, follow manufacturer guidelines. Let the fresh parts "get to know each other". I am of the latter.

Friend just bought a new '19 few months ago. Not sure of his break in, but said it went "Knock, knock about 7 times then the rod wanted to be outside of the case".

·
Registered
156 Posts
The last thing you want to do is baby it during break in. I'm not saying to beat on it, but vary the RPM's and don't be afraid to let it rev out some. Heat cycles are important as well. We used to build high horsepower Yamaha Raptor engines and we always ran them hard during break in for short periods of time for about 4 heat cycles and it never failed us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got my machine with 3 miles on it from the dealer. tok it out a couple times around the house flogging it good enough to break an axle and roll it. then at the 18 mile mark took a trip to glamis, changed the oil at 250 miles and was at 498 miles when we got back home.

its been perfect other than the roll, caught traction during a slide and floped. and the broken axle from landing a jump on throttle, dealer covered the axle and said it didn't break in the normal spot. i've only done the one oil change and taken off the cvt cover to blow it out, swapped belts to break in a new one and keep the original for the spare. its going back to the dealer for the 500 mile service, i thnk the shifter needs adjusted as the dealer said it would.

mines just a base model '19 xp1000, i;m sold on sxs's, this thing has been amazing fun, and i'm not worried about injury like i was on the quads. would love to get a turbo or turbo s, but the local can am dealer has some '19s for a really good deal and my buddies x3 xrs turbo rr is a mouthfull and allot more fun in the big sand dunes.

edit* just read the article posted above, makes me feel alot better about my 'just send it' break in. this is my first sxs and alot of people in glamis warned me that i likely hurt the engine and was about to smoke a belt. but the belt has performed flawless and the machine couldn't run better at this point. its completely stock and seat of the pants it feels a bit faster than some other friends rzr's. maybe just cuz its new and i'm happy with it. i have yet to ride with any of them yet though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got my machine with 3 miles on it from the dealer. tok it out a couple times around the house flogging it good enough to break an axle and roll it. then at the 18 mile mark took a trip to glamis, changed the oil at 250 miles and was at 498 miles when we got back home.

its been perfect other than the roll, caught traction during a slide and floped. and the broken axle from landing a jump on throttle, dealer covered the axle and said it didn't break in the normal spot. i've only done the one oil change and taken off the cvt cover to blow it out, swapped belts to break in a new one and keep the original for the spare. its going back to the dealer for the 500 mile service, i thnk the shifter needs adjusted as the dealer said it would.

mines just a xp1000, i;m sold on sxs's, this thing has been amazing fun, and i'm not worried about injury like i was on the quads. would love to get a turbo or turbo s, but the local can am dealer has some '19s for a really good deal and my buddies x3 xrs turbo rr is a mouthfull and allot more fun in the big sand dunes.
Good to know im not the only one...lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the distinct impression that break-in is a big deal.
The salesman mentioned it.
The F&I guy mentioned it.
The guy that showed me how everything on the car works mentioned it.
Polaris sent an email about it.
The manual says it is the single-most important thing you can do for longevity.

I ALWAYS break in a new vehicle and they always last a long time.

Here's what Polaris has to say about it on their website: Vehicle Break-In

1 - 12 of 12 Posts