Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i finally brought my machine in to my dealer, i have been noticing alot of bog when i step on the gas when driving it. It currently has 600 miles on it , i bought it on july21,2012.
I have noticed it since i bought it but have just been delaying returning it to my dealer because i figured that it just needed to be broke in and it would go away or get better. So i took it out again this past thursday, and i let my brother try it. He even noticed it and asked me why it felt so boggy. He said i should bring it back to the dealer also.
So we stoped by another polaris dealer on the way back from our ride because i wanted to see what he had for accessories, so i told him what i was experiencing and he told me that this machine should be pretty much be pulling a wheelie when you clamp the throttle or close to it, i mentioned to him my brother has a stock 550 touring polaris atv with worn out tires and he was keeping up with my 800 S from a dead stop, seems to me i should be pulling on him from a dead stop all the way through the power band. He told me to try a UNI air filter which i purchased from him. He also told me to take it back to my dealer where i got it and have the hook up their computer and have them check the TPS settings "throttle position sensor" he said try the uni filter first though. I didnt try the filter first, i left it on the trailer and just did a road trip with my wife back to the dealer. I ask my wife if she ever hears this bog i am hearing, she just shruggs and says just ignore it and find the next mud hole.....
What do you guys think it could be? I use nothing but super unleaded 91-93 octain. I check the air filter after every ride and clean it if it needs it, blow it out with my air compressor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dint know that would clear the computer, its at the dealer, so if it is still doing this when i get it back i will try this. There is a trail in ellsworth maine where the dealership is at called the SunRise trail, i will be trying it there as soon as i pick it up. If its still boggy, i will try the battery thing first but if it still doesnt fix it. It is going right back to friend & friend.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You would have thought the dealer you bought the filter from would have hooked it up.. warranty is good at any polaris dealership................. The uni filter is not going to give you a big change of power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You would have thought the dealer you bought the filter from would have hooked it up.. warranty is good at any polaris dealership................. The uni filter is not going to give you a big change of power.
yeah you would of thought rollo, but i did not have time for him to that paticular day because we had other obligations ....a 13 year olds soccer game.

I asked the service guys if maybe the BigHorn tires were to heavy for the stock clutch's and they said no, i was thinking that if i put on a clutch Kit from like EPI or something that maybe this would smarten this S up? they said if i put on a clutch kit i would void my warranty from polaris + my extended warranty....that really sucks because that was going to be one of my upgrades to this, now i am not going to touch the clutchs.

Have any of you heard this?also what would a fuel controller do? i see alot of guys on here have them on thier machines or are going to put them on, i just dont know what they are or what they do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just Curious if anyone one else has noticed any bog when stepping on the gas pedal? or is this just normal Rzr power?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I noticed mine bogging down the other day when i was doing doughnuts. I was in high range, that might of had something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I did on mine and my throttle cable had stretched so I adjusted it and fixed the problem..I then noticed it again and found out that my snorkel filter (snorkel your atv snorkel) was clogged and causing my problem. I originally thought it was my tps and checked the voltage on it and everything was good..You can also checked your spark plugs for wear and make sure none of your vent lines are pinched off

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did on mine and my throttle cable had stretched so I adjusted it and fixed the problem..I then noticed it again and found out that my snorkel filter (snorkel your atv snorkel) was clogged and causing my problem. I originally thought it was my tps and checked the voltage on it and everything was good..You can also checked your spark plugs for wear and make sure none of your vent lines are pinched off
What vent lines are you refering to? I got it back from dealer, they said no error codes came up when they hooked up to their computer, and they said that they drove it around and never heard any bogginess.
So i guess try to put in the Uni -filter and try the battery cable thing.
Not sure how to go about adjusting the throttle cable, the book that comes with the Rzr S isn't that great at explaining things

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
just Curious if anyone one else has noticed any bog when stepping on the gas pedal? or is this just normal Rzr power?
Yes. My 2010 did this.

I would have the dealer check fuel pressure. My fuel pump was going out. You havent been running it low on fuel have you? The pump sits in the tank and is cooled by the gas.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
you dont have much of a problem if yu're riding side by side with a polaris 550 because with proper grip, that 550 will outrun you every time.

if you really do feel something, check your fuel pump pressure, clean out your spark arrestor, change your filter, and look in your throttle body for any dirt and grime, check your belt condition.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is a cable attached to the top of your gas pedal(throttle cable) check it for any slack..It should be slightly snug against the top of the gas pedal..You should see how it should sit..If it has any slack in it you may not be opening up the throttle body all the way which is like your not giving it enough gas..

If this is your problem take your seats out and the cover to the clutch box and you will see the throttle body which is the silver piece in between the airbox and engine..You should see a flat piece on the front of it with a wire coming out of the side of it..there is a jam nut on it...Loosen the jam nut and then turn it out until you see the cable sitting properly against the gas pedal.

The vent lines I was talking about was the one to the gas tank...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes. My 2010 did this.

I would have the dealer check fuel pressure. My fuel pump was going out. You havent been running it low on fuel have you? The pump sits in the tank and is cooled by the gas.
Never run it it low on fuel, lowest it gets is half. Wouldnt the computer they hooked it to have pick up on this? They told me no error codes and they drove it around for 15-20 mins and never heard any bogging down. I wish i could explain this noise better, it sounds like you guys know what i am hearing though, i don't live close by a trail so will have to wait and see what they did if nothing at all, will try the new Uni filter i have and unhook battery for 20 mins like the first post suggested, will check my spark arester, make sure ther is nothing crimped, and check my throttle cable, as far as checking pressure, i do not know how to do this, thanks for your suggestions. mike.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My fuel pump went bad and did not throw any codes..It would started out at an every once in a while bog and would not go and spit and sputter but still would crank and idle fine. It then got to the point that it would not run over 10mph at approx. 3000rpms..

check your rpms at wide open throttle and see what they are...mine runs about 60mph at around 6200rpms...

Also if you have a dealer like I have they only have parts changers and not mechanics and probably don't half way know what their doing....After keeping mine for 7 weeks for a fuel pump I decided to try to fix the next problem myself and i did.

plenty of people up here are great mechanics and tell you step by step how to fix your bike..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My fuel pump went bad and did not throw any codes..It would started out at an every once in a while bog and would not go and spit and sputter but still would crank and idle fine. It then got to the point that it would not run over 10mph at approx. 3000rpms..

check your rpms at wide open throttle and see what they are...mine runs about 60mph at around 6200rpms...

Also if you have a dealer like I have they only have parts changers and not mechanics and probably don't half way know what their doing....After keeping mine for 7 weeks for a fuel pump I decided to try to fix the next problem myself and i did.

plenty of people up here are great mechanics and tell you step by step how to fix your bike..
well the next time i get it to a trail i will check the speed and the RPM's, and i believe it about the mechanics at the dealership, i kept asking them what i could do to my machine that would not Void my warranty ,and give it a boost in power and they were like , hmmm let me see if i can find so and so he knows more about this than i do,i would talk to so and so and he would be like i really don't know . the guy you need to talk to isn't here today .......they did say that a clutch kit would Void the warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts