Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to cross a river and was on Low spinned the belt pretty hard. When arriving the other side there was smoke coming out of clutch box was sure I just blown the belt
But I was surprised I haven't so I rode back home and opened the clutch to check the belt and I was horrified when I saw the upper back sheeve totally destroyed and part of the front sheeve missing.
Has anyone experience something like this?
The motor seems to run fine normal RPM at idle and when pressing slightly on gaz the primary clutch start to squeeze the belt but I did not want to higher the rpm.
The inside of the clutch box is filled with dust but no metal parts from the primary

Attachments

·
EE
151 Posts
Went to cross a river and was on Low spinned the belt pretty hard. When arriving the other side there was smoke coming out of clutch box was sure I just blown the belt
But I was surprised I haven't so I rode back home and opened the clutch to check the belt and I was horrified when I saw the upper back sheeve totally destroyed and part of the front sheeve missing.
Has anyone experience something like this?
The motor seems to run fine normal RPM at idle and when pressing slightly on gaz the primary clutch start to squeeze the belt but I did not want to higher the rpm.
The inside of the clutch box is filled with dust but no metal parts from the primary

I have never seen this before. Did water enter the clutch housing at any point? How many miles since you last had the clutch cover opened? Any damage to the clutch cover? It almost looks like the belt wore right through the sheaves...and then when they got thin enough they cracked off in chunks. But you said you found no chunks...maybe they came out the CVT exhaust?

EDIT:
How does the secondary look? Any damage to the sheave faces? How about the back side of the belt that we cannot see in the picture, is it chewed up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the clutch about 300 miles ago changed to a new evo badass belt and cleaned the sheeves everything seemed normal.
The side of the belt looks ok now but the tooth are worn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The secondary turns well but both sides look to be stuck I wasn't able to screw the secondary clutch tool spreader but from first look no damage
On the outside
Checked the cvt exhaust no chunk just a lot of black dust

·
Registered
510 Posts
That's crazy. Sounds like your secondary is stuck closed and smoked your primary. Curious what Todd will say.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I think when you spun the belt pretty hard it created a great deal of heat in the primary and melted the metal. That is one totaled clutch. The fact there is no metal says melted to me. Going to need serious clean out. I would renew the seal on the motor shaft as it had to take a lot of heat and will likely fail soon. Also time to change engine oil. All that heat was transferred into the crank and into the engine oil. Cheap maintenance to hopefully avoid more problems later. Maybe change the trans seal as well due to possible contamination that may cause it to fail as well. The belt is toast as well. Do not even keep as a spare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the most probable explanation but shouldn't the belt blow before reaching enough temperature to melt the clutch?

·
EE
151 Posts
I think when you spun the belt pretty hard it created a great deal of heat in the primary and melted the metal. That is one totaled clutch. The fact there is no metal says melted to me. Going to need serious clean out. I would renew the seal on the motor shaft as it had to take a lot of heat and will likely fail soon. Also time to change engine oil. All that heat was transferred into the crank and into the engine oil. Cheap maintenance to hopefully avoid more problems later. Maybe change the trans seal as well due to possible contamination that may cause it to fail as well. The belt is toast as well. Do not even keep as a spare.

I'm not sure what to say here other than aluminum is an incredible conductor of heat, and it melts at over 1200°F, which is almost 4 times more than rubber. The engine oil? Motor shaft seal? Do you have any beach front property in Arkansas for me? BTW melted metal doesn't disappear magically...

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
That is the most probable explanation but shouldn't the belt blow before reaching enough temperature to melt the clutch?
This time it did not. Give the belt a really good inspection and you will find sever wear and flat spots. I have flat spotted belts but stopped the power when the smoked showed up. This looks like the belt can take a lot more than the primary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I inspected the belt the outer part of it are relatively ok but the tooth are worn. the aluminum did not disappear but turned in form of very dark dust.
It is like the alinum was grinded into dust

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Look real close and you will find the metal. The little round balls are the melted metal. Inside of case is full of black and those small beads. Some areas look like they have been bead blasted. Lots of hidden damage I suspect. Those beads got everywhere. Beads look like welding splatter. Signs of lots of heat.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
That is typical when cold water hits super hot aluminum it cracks and breaks ...no big surprise ...dont do that

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Look at the housing it is dirty as hell, looks corroded. Your issue is you haven't been cleaning your cvt system and housing after riding (general maintenance). It looks like severe water damage as well. If let's say one of your weights got a bunch of corrosion on them and causes your primary to become unbalanced, guess what happens? A destroyed primary. I don't see any warranty or Polaris covering this, it is neglect.

·
craigstumph
9,791 Posts
Maybe try a Duraclutch if your replacing everything. They have advantages for slow speed riding over rocks and such. I am not sure if any clutch could work submerged in water. How many miles on the clutch?

·
Registered
510 Posts
The secondary turns well but both sides look to be stuck I wasn't able to screw the secondary clutch tool spreader but from first look no damage
On the outside
Checked the cvt exhaust no chunk just a lot of black dust
I still think the secondary was stuck closed and the primary closed up and took the damage. maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cleaned the clutch box and sheaves about 300 miles ago when changing the belt everything looked fine but it was a little hard to tread the spreading screw on the secondary.
I really think water flooded the box when crossing the river about 2ft deep. Bottom of the river was pretty soft so I kept a fairly high RPM to avoid being stock.
Right after crossing I noticed white smoke coming out I first thought that the belt blew but thinking now it was just the water coming into contact with hot aluminum and rubber creating steam.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
People tend to look for one problem that caused the damage right when it broke. Many times it was several things that lead up to the point you noticed there was a problem.

There is a strong chance that your issue started 300 miles ago when you changed your belt. The discoloration and sand blasted housing tell me that you have had water/grit intrusion into your belt box for a while. This was probably from an improper seal on the belt box cover. When grit gets in your CVT system it cause many of the moving parts to not work properly.

With the CVT already not working properly it was most likely very hot. As stated above extremely hot aluminum does not like to be quickly submerged in water. Once the hot sheaves cracked and you stayed on the throttle, the clutch came apart and you ended up with the carnage in the pic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts