Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had a great ride at Brimstone this past weekend being my first time there. Rode a few trails and made it to some pavement to go to another trail. Put it in high and about in 100ft the belt blew completely apart into small pieces. Sounded like it blew the motor to start with. Stock belt lasted 450 miles given I am running 30" tires. I do have a clutch kit and the belt slips very little, but I have made some hard lauches and ran the RZR in high lot when I first bought it before the 30"s cause I didn't know any better at the time. Anyway, luckily I had a spare belt and in 30 mins I was going again. Problem, I didn't have anything to clean with. So, I did the best I could. The RZR would not go from neutral to reverse or low without cutting the engine off and shifting into gear then restarting. It was grinding. But after 20 miles of trail riding, I could start shifting again with no problems.

So, I guess is there anything I should look at again? Im going to take the cover back off and clean everything anyway. Put an OEM belt back on, but looking at an EPI for a spare or should I go back with OEM?

Sorry so long. Thanks in advance, ERIC.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
sometimes when a belt gets hot enough to blow, the washers on each side of the bearing in the primary also blow. take the belt off and look next to the bearing to see if they are still there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
[ran the RZR in high lot when I first bought it before the 30"s cause I didn't know any better at the time.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new with a RZR. o I understand this correctly? Should we not run in high a lot? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just put an EPI on mine last week and after about 3 hours of riding it flew apart into pieces. Never had a belt problem until recently. Had a gates belt on for last couple hundred miles with no problem but it came apart in the same manner a while back(in mud with silverbacks on) so I just assumed me fault and replaced with the EPI. I replaced on the trail with an old stock belt and it lasted 2 days(approx 130 miles) in fairly easy trail riding and came apart to. Any ideas?

·
Just kidding!
10,753 Posts
Just put an EPI on mine last week and after about 3 hours of riding it flew apart into pieces. Never had a belt problem until recently. Had a gates belt on for last couple hundred miles with no problem but it came apart in the same manner a while back(in mud with silverbacks on) so I just assumed me fault and replaced with the EPI. I replaced on the trail with an old stock belt and it lasted 2 days(approx 130 miles) in fairly easy trail riding and came apart to. Any ideas?
I am having kinda the same problem.I think my primary is wore out its very sloppy.

·
Just kidding!
10,753 Posts
[ran the RZR in high lot when I first bought it before the 30"s cause I didn't know any better at the time.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new with a RZR. o I understand this correctly? Should we not run in high a lot? Thanks
Use low if you crawling 10 mph or lower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We were actually riding easy trails in Mena,AR and county roads. Very easy riding compared to my usual style LOL. Just pulled cover off and can't believe I made it back on this belt! Everything appears to be in good working order but not sure what I should be looking for or at for that matter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys. I will look at the washers in the primary when I clean everything. I never knew these things could come apart like that. Steve, Im like you. When I got everything apart, I couldn't touch the clutch. Smoking hot! Well, I just don't want to have to worry about it. So, I guess Im torn between an OEM belt or one of EPI's Sevier Duty belts. Also, do any of you guys know why I had a problem shifting while the engine was running after I did the change. I thought it may have been because I didn't get everything cleaned out as good as I should. It was bad. Could not go from neutral to reverse or low without cutting the engine off, shifting into gear, and restarting. This has got me puzzled cause everything seems to be working fine now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts