Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
cubbear
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for campground around black hills SD ride out door and on trails. also do I have to buy trail permit and a license plate? any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Search on YouTube or maybe it should be called ChinaTube. There is a person who has a series on the subject. Cover it all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
RZRing through the black hills is on my bucket list!!! I’ve rode to sturgis but realy wanna go back with the rig.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some of the best trails I've been on period...I've been to northern MN, upper Michigan, West Yellowstone, eastern Idaho, and the black hills has the best trails by far.. we go every year

·
Registered
38 Posts
July 22nd-26th there is a big UTV rally up there... I’ll be going assuming it’s not canceled

·
Registered
52 Posts
Damn.. I did not know that.. I've got a house rented near Deadwood July 15-19th.. just gonna miss it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also look up Black hills Hunting lodge. Located in the heart of the black hills. Nice cabin feel with all the best trails right out of the drive way. Great people and they know the hills better then anyone! Very affordable and definitely the most unique place I’ve stayed in the hills. I most definitely will be going back very soon!

·
Registered
81 Posts
We go almost every summer and stay near Hill City at the Rafter J Bar. It is a nice campground with all the amenities. You will need to get an OHV permit for riding on the roads, they are easy to get through different counties, it's a really cheap. To use the Black Hills trails you'll need a Black Hills Trail permit on top of the OHV permit, they are available at many gas stations, visitors centers etc...I finally licensed my RZR in SD so I didn't have to get the OHV permit every year and for the other states that it is reciprocal in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are hundreds of campgrounds in the Hills. A great all around campground is the Palmer Gulch KOA near Hill City. I live about 3/4 of a mile from it. Has trails out the back and has about all the amenities you could ask for and very reasonable rates for what you get. If you want more of a boonedocking experience there is a little BH Forrest camp ground in the middle of one of the best trail systems called Ditch Creek. The campground is called Ditch Creek Campground and it is just south of Deerfield Lake. Dozens of awesome trails right out of the campsite. Not far from there is an old silica mine that you can actually drive an RZR into.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Awesome place, we actually go at least once a summer and sometimes twice a summer.

Another decent campground that wasn't mentioned is Mystic Hills Campground which is just south of Deadwood a few miles. It's right at the base of Custer Peak and you can pretty much ride in any direction from there. With being close to Deadwood, you also have some night life and some good places to eat.

As far as the SD trail permit, just order it online before you leave, it's easier and you don't have to run around looking for a place. Plus, you can put it on a clean machine exactly where you want instead of slapping it on in a hurry.

If you are looking for a great place to ride, seriously consider it !!!

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Get the temp tags to drive on the road (easy to do ahead of time), even if you do not think you will, as you probably will...

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts