Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taking my 2011 R/G RZR 4 to gordons well in a few weeks and im wondering if i can run my maxxis bighorns or should i go out and buy some paddles?? any advice would be appreciated.Thx:azflag:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I run a set of paddles in the rear and it does great. My brother-in-law runs his big horns and makes it up tess just fine, of course I beat him because I have better traction. If I were you buy a set of rear paddles. I'm heading to Gordons next weekend.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bighorns do surprisingly well in sand. Just air them down to about 4-6 psi, you should be fine. Paddles will obviously do better, but it's too expensive for md to justify the money for a few trips a year.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Obviously paddles are better but my BH's aired down took me everywhere in Glamis just fine... topped Olds at 30-35 running solo. I was very impressed actually.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
so you run around 4 or 5 psi ? wont the tire come off with that low of psi in it. doesnt it look to bowed in on thew side wall ?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I had no bead issues. A BH at 4-5lbs looks about the same as if it has 8lbs. Look at the Polaris commercial that aired with the CEO... they are on BHs and cruising fine with 2 people.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Bighorns work good in the sand when aired down- as previously stated--

I was running mine at 4-5lbs at Oregon dunes and could not make it up Banshee hill.... A guy comes over to me and tells me if I set those Bighorns at 3psi it will go right up the hill. Well, I thought he was full of it, but I would've tried anything- I REALLY wanted to make that hill! So, he helps me air down to 3lbs, and it goes RIGHT up! I was surprised at how much difference even a lb or 2 can make.

I have paddles that I cant wait to try out at Glamis!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I posted a question like this in the recent past and as of right now, I don't have any paddles.

I'm going to Olgilby on Columbus Day weekend and running the Bighorns. I do have a buddy that is bringing a few sets of paddles so I will get a chance to compare the two.

I'll make sure I post what I find as everyone here has been great at trying to help, even though these same questions tend to get asked repeatedly.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyones advice on tires. Hope to meet some of you at glamis on oct. 22-24th. Looking forward to some good rides. Cant wait to try out my 11 Robby Gordon.:ride:

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I run a set of paddles in the rear and it does great. My brother-in-law runs his big horns and makes it up tess just fine, of course I beat him because I have better traction. If I were you buy a set of rear paddles. I'm heading to Gordons next weekend.
Do you have big horns in the front? I was thinking of running big horns in the front and a set of 8 paddles in the rear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK, I ran the Bighorns all weekend as there were no paddles to try afterall.

I went everywhere I wanted for the most part and although I'm sure I could have gone further up some hills with paddles, I just can't justify the expense for a stock RZR4.

I reached a top speed of 45mph running the 'horns at 4psi and I can only think of two big bowls that I couldn't run the higher line due to the lack of power/tire or both.

Unless I start bumping big money into power for this thing, I will not be buying paddles.

Dave

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
you guys that run the bighorns really, really need to try out a set of lightweight paddles. skat-trak 8 pdl extremes and front buffs on dwt spun wheels. way, way quicker, accelerates faster, seems like i gained 10hp just bolting on paddles!!! prob 5-8 mph more top end too!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I have seen how paddles climb. Its pretty impressive when a stock Rzr S can make it up China Wall when the Stock Rzr's with big horns make it only half way or so.

·
Registered
323 Posts
you guys that run the bighorns really, really need to try out a set of lightweight paddles. skat-trak 8 pdl extremes and front buffs on dwt spun wheels. way, way quicker, accelerates faster, seems like i gained 10hp just bolting on paddles!!! prob 5-8 mph more top end too!
I have no first hand experience with this. But, I was watching a video that said for every 1 lbs you reduce in rotational mass, you free up one horsepower. So, if you save 1 lbs on each tire/wheel combo on each corner of your machine, you are saving 4 lbs total and thus freeing up 4 HP. That is a lot of gain on a small machine like the RZR.

I am pretty sure that the video was by Fullerton Sand Sports, but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

EDIT: Found the video. He starts talking about weight and HP at 1:46. The whole video is worth a watch, though.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Skat-track 7 paddles and smoothies up front on red labels wheels will be good,or doonz tire.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Great Video! Just got a set of Doonz front and rear on red labels at the Offroad show. Can't wait to try them out in Glamis next week:ride:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts