Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been running 27 X 9 X 12 bighorns all along with no problem and all of a sudden it's hitting when turning. I did disconnect the front stabilizer and I guess that is the problem. Have any of you had an experience like that with 27" tires?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where exactly are you rubbing? Maybe your a arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends or something else is worn out just enough that you are now rubbing. Or maybe the sway bar was preventing just enough articulation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been running 27 X 9 X 12 bighorns all along with no problem and all of a sudden it's hitting when turning. I did disconnect the front stabilizer and I guess that is the problem. Have any of you had an experience like that with 27" tires?
We have 27" LT tires that hit but I believe it's because they are square edged and flat across the tread so the 'corners' tend to hit. Probably not as much of problem with ATV/UTV tires with a tapered tread profile.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It rubs when you are turning on the molded plastic that juts out where your left foot is. After several of the exact tires I've used over the years, this is the first problem I've had. I am coming to the conclusion that by disconnecting the front sway bar the body dips down and that is my problem. It squeaked so bad I took it off, but looks as if it will get re-attached. Guess I will find out unless someone has a reason and magical cure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am looking to replace my stock tires. I would like to get more clearance without any mods. How big of a tire can I get without any mods to stock RZR 800 2012? Looking into Bighorns as I have them on my atv and they work great for the riding I do.
I put some 26" on which measure 27" and no rubbing at all.
800 bucks for tires, rims and lugnuts.
:surprised:
Stock 2013 800. Just a tad wider than 50 but same tire and rim front and rear so I can rotate f to rear.

The stock tires and rims are up for sale now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I eliminated my rubbing problems with the 27 X 9 X12 Big Horns by connecting the front stablizer bar up again. With it off it rubs sometimes when turning sharp left.

Every thing is good now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got the 2" R/T lift so I could clear bigger tires but, I tried a set of 27" Roctanes and went right back to the orginal BigHorns. I felt the OE BH's were way more controllable at high speed cornering, & I felt like I had way more ability to push the veichcal to do more. Either it was that the Roctanes mounted sat exactly at 27" tall, weighed more, and the bighorns were right at 26" tall. Or the fact the Roctanes were almost an inch narrower mounted and the BH's appeared to have a much larger contact surface, both were suposally 9 wide in front and 11 wide in the rear. I suppose if your into rock crawling (none in Iowa) and not doing any fast trailriding then the Roctanes could be for you, I'll stick with the BH's for now till someone makes a better all around utv tire that is as lightweight, and as wide mounted. There is a reason you see so many UTV's with them on, just my $0.2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread however figured i
Would ask anyway. I have the superAtv 1.5 offset front A arms. All is good however with the larger tire in back it leans in to far. Does anyone make a caster/camber correct replacement. I don’t see one for the 50 inch available. Open to suggestions. Thx

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Would ask anyway. I have the superAtv 1.5 offset front A arms. All is good however with the larger tire in back it leans in to far. Does anyone make a caster/camber correct replacement. I don’t see one for the 50 inch available. Open to suggestions. Thx
What do you mean by leans in too far?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you mean it rubs motor mount then yea that's normal for a 50 inch model. You have to get wheel spacers or offset wheels for it to clear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you mean it rubs motor mount then yea that's normal for a 50 inch model. You have to get wheel spacers or offset wheels for it to clear.
No it does not rub. I have spacers also. It is just the camber is farther off because of taller tires. Standing from the back you can see it pretty significant. I thought super ATV had rear A arms to correct it however I cannot find them

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Gotcha taller tires put the shocks at a strange angle on the 50 inch. Surprised camber didn't correct with spacers. Does the top of tire or bottom lean in? What size spacers did you use and what kind of shocks do you have?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you have adjustable shocks then all you have to do is adjust shocks to adjust camber. Assuming that your wheel bearings and bushings are good. If you have stock 50 inch shocks then you can really only stiffen the shock with spacers or better springs.Stock shocks sag silly fast. If top of tire is leaning in you have to stiffen shock,leaning out you soften shock or vice versa lol. Had that problem with bigger tires on my Arctic Cat. Been awhile.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why would a larger tire size change the camber? The tire is unsprung weight. It should not change the camber at all. It may look like it has more camber because the tire is taller/larger but it doesn't change the angle. That said, the larger tire could use less camber because the the tread is farther from the center of the hub.

John

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Why would a larger tire size change the camber? The tire is unsprung weight. It should not change the camber at all. It may look like it has more camber because the tire is taller/larger but it doesn't change the angle. That said, the larger tire could use less camber because the the tread is farther from the center of the hub.

John
It can and does. It can depend on how saggy the shock springs are. That is more of the problem then the larger tires. The larger tires weigh down the machine more and can throw the camber off. I found that out on my Arctic cat. I put 28" super swampers on and it looked like something was bent. I took it in to my dealer mechanic and he knew right away. Put stiffer springs in cause I had stock shocks and it was fine after that. It could be from a lift or how much weight the guy carries around like spare tire,tool box or whatever but the guy who asked the question disappeared like they all do so who knows.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The tire could be made out of cement. It is unsprung weight. The springs do not support the tire weight at all if no bumps are involved. (Just sitting there). The taller tire looks like it leans in or out more because the farther out the diameter of the larger tire from the hub center. Degrees are like the letter V. The larger the letter, the farther apart the line at the top of the V are apart. v V. The degree angle is the same. Soft springs help with that exaggerated look because there is too much camber with the smaller tires already. Any suspension lift will change camber on independant type suspension because that is how you get the lift......increasing the angle of the A arms. Some setups are less or more affected depending on geometry of the arms.

John

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gotcha taller tires put the shocks at a strange angle on the 50 inch. Surprised camber didn't correct with spacers. Does the top of tire or bottom lean in? What size spacers did you use and what kind of shocks do you have?
Taller tires do not change the angle of the shocks at all, in and of themselves. You could have no tires on at all...........just setting on the brake rotors, it make no difference.

Adding a lift or cranking up the preload on the shocks to clear those larger tires is another story.

John

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Taller tires do not change the angle of the shocks at all, in and of themselves. You could have no tires on at all...........just setting on the brake rotors, it make no difference.

Adding a lift or cranking up the preload on the shocks to clear those larger tires is another story.

John
That's what I said dude lol.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts