Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon need to replace my stock 25"tires. I'm thinking of going up to a 26"tire to gain a bit of clearance, thinking of bias ply for puncture resistance, are bias ply tires more puncture resistant? Would I notice any reduction in performance such as handling, ride and any reduction in power. Would the preference be to stay with radial.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
All I can tell you is that I went with Duro Power Grip radials and have never looked back.
We ride jagged rock areas,trails,Jeep ruts,tree roots,etc.
I have never had a puncture with these tires.
All tires no matter if radial or bias in the right situation will puncture.
That is why they have tire repair kits.:)
Doug

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can tell you is that I went with Duro Power Grip radials and have never looked back.
We ride jagged rock areas,trails,Jeep ruts,tree roots,etc.
I have never had a puncture with these tires.
All tires no matter if radial or bias in the right situation will puncture.
That is why they have tire repair kits.:)
Doug
What size are you running

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
radial would be more puncture resistant, due to the steel belt inside the tire, but be warned they do weigh alot more than a bias ply tire. imo if you are on rocks and trail i dont think the radial would wear any better than a bias
edit: as far as your ride goes, it will be smoother with a radial if you do alot of high speed

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
DS...Are you certain that UTV radials are Steel Belted?. I would not have thought that they would have steel belts; just polymer fiber belting. I have BH 2.0's (I think they are radials but I may be wrong) and I have plugged the tread surface and well as side walls and did not encounter any steel.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
im pretty sure they have steel belt, when you lift my 25" kenda executioners, which are known for they're weight (bias ply) and lift my brother in laws 26" sedona ripsaws (radials) there is a huge difference, both are 6 ply

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Went from stock tires on my std, to 26X9X12 Big Horns on all 4 corners. Yes it gained me a good inch in clearance since the Big Horns measure much closer to 27", but the most stark difference noticed right away was..

MUCH IMPROVED RIDE.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went from stock tires on my std, to 26X9X12 Big Horns on all 4 corners. Yes it gained me a good inch in clearance since the Big Horns measure much closer to 27", but the most stark difference noticed right away was..

MUCH IMPROVED RIDE.
Did you put those on the stock rear rims as well and did you notice any power loss.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts

MUCH IMPROVED RIDE.
Did you put those on the stock rear rims as well and did you notice any power loss.
No, I went with aftermarket rims, 4+3. But you can get two more front stock steel rims and basically do the same, but you will be under 50" in the back in that case.

No detected loss of power, much better traction, much better ride.

I would guess that if you put 25" Bighorns on your stock rims, your ride will smooth out as well. As Doolin2 mentioned, you can't put the 26" Bighorn size on stock rear wheels without dealing with rubbing on the motor mount.

With the first set of wheels, there was not that much difference in overall weight compared to the steel wheels and bias tires, actually was a little lighter in the rears.

Am running a much heavier set up right now, and again, I do not seem to be missing any power that I can notice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here's what I think I'll do, tell me if this won't work half decent. 26x9x12 on the front, 26x11x12 on the rear- both on stock rims, add 1 1/2" wheel spacers and S-fender flares. Undecided fully on tires either Duro Power Grip radials or Big Horns 2.0

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Here's what I think I'll do, tell me if this won't work half decent. 26x9x12 on the front, 26x11x12 on the rear- both on stock rims, add 1 1/2" wheel spacers and S-fender flares. Undecided fully on tires either Duro Power Grip radials or Big Horns 2.0
Should work. Good thinking on the s-flairs, unless you want to wear all that mud, etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you do the wheel spacer you may want to crank the springs up as you move the wheel out it makes the spring softer
That makes sence, thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
personally i wouldnt put s flares on a 50" my brother in law has them on his 50" with 1 1/2" spacers and his flares get ripped off all the time, they hit rocks and dirt and then the tear off

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
personally i wouldnt put s flares on a 50" my brother in law has them on his 50" with 1 1/2" spacers and his flares get ripped off all the time, they hit rocks and dirt and then the tear off
Without flares how much more mud comes in the cab

1 - 17 of 17 Posts