Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2016 900 with about 1600 miles on it a couple years ago, I noticed that it was pretty jerky when giving it a little gas from a stop. I never thought anything of it. I heard that it was kinda just a 900 thing and that it wasn’t a big deal. Well I had recently bought a superatv clutch kit and belt to help with my larger tires. When the dealer installed the clutch kit and belt, it was pretty much impossible to put into gear when running and when in gear, it would creep forward like an automatic car. Well it turns out the early 2016 model 900 have a bad primary clutch and is known to go bad. When I got the new primary installed, it fixed every issue. The engagement of the clutch was barely noticeable. It was like a completely new machine.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

· Premium Member
36 Posts
I had the same problem with our 2016 Trail model; however, the problem was the secondary. When I first starting taking things apart, I expected to find "pieces/parts" falling out when I pulled the primary. No such thing, so I pulled the secondary. That's when a few little burned metal pieces fell out. As it turned-out, the two rollers on what I think they call the "spider" had seized and were in the process of disintegrating and beating the hell out of the helix (due to them being seized, I assume). Also...another symptom other than the jerky starts...the rig would just about throw me out through the windshield when going downgrade. I'd be slowly going downhill and all of a sudden things would "lock up" to a high degree. The tires would not come to a stop but it was like using engine compression to slow-down...but on steroids, big time. BTW, I found working on the clutch to be surprisingly easy and would do it again in a heartbeat. I replaced the secondary with a SLP complete secondary and I like it a lot so far. FWIW, I'm running stock-sized tires and treat this thang pretty well.

· Registered
2022 Rzr 900 Trail Premium
20 Posts
Lots of dirt gets into the clutch housing. lots of dirt = lots of wear.
Very true. I just opened up my new 2022 with 25 hours on it after riding over 400 miles of dusty Black Hills trails and I was amazed at the amount of dust I blew out of the clutch housing. I plan on doing this every 25 hours from here on out.

· Registered
97 Posts
My 2016 has done this since new. I was told the same thing it is the way they are. Last weekend I installed a SLP kit that is said to take this out of the 2016's and newer. It involves changing the ramps and spring in the primary. The ramps are weight adjustable and it says to make them 66.9 grams. Closest I could get without grinding screws was 67.1. Ramps that were in it were 60.1 grams. For the secondary the kit came with a new helix and spring and if your secondary has the square outside slides you are to replace them with round rollers. I had already changed to round rollers. When done your rpm's are to be between 7500 and 7700 at 4500 feet and above. I am at 3200 feet and saw a high rpm of 8000. The jerking is all gone. Clutch engages as smooth as our 13 800 does. and now I like the 900. It has sucked since day one. Wish I had known about this kit years ago.

· Registered
2017 RZR 900 Trail
28 Posts
When I bought my 2016 900 with about 1600 miles on it a couple years ago, I noticed that it was pretty jerky when giving it a little gas from a stop. I never thought anything of it. I heard that it was kinda just a 900 thing and that it wasn’t a big deal. Well I had recently bought a superatv clutch kit and belt to help with my larger tires. When the dealer installed the clutch kit and belt, it was pretty much impossible to put into gear when running and when in gear, it would creep forward like an automatic car. Well it turns out the early 2016 model 900 have a bad primary clutch and is known to go bad. When I got the new primary installed, it fixed every issue. The engagement of the clutch was barely noticeable. It was like a completely new machine.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
So I had the same jerky problem. Got the machine with 400 miles, 2017 900 trail. Punching it off the line you didn’t feel it but trying to crawl was so frkn jerky. I too was always told it was a RZR thing and should live with it. Well, at 900 miles I finally purchased a Mother Clutcher complete primary, Reduced Secondary helix, round secondary rollers, filed down the grooves from the flat ones, new belt, and just like the OP says, drives like a new machine!

· Registered
2022 RZR Trail Premium
3 Posts
This problem is the only thing I epically dislike about my new 900. Polaris really needs to address this. I pretty much push mine into the shed and final position on the trailer. I slammed that on their survey but I doubt they care.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts