Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent hours gathering info on this part night because mine failed and instead of throwing in a trans I'm going to build the 14 trans (Xp 1000 2 seater).

There's a lot of misleading info. So for everyone's sake, I thought I'd start this thread and let everyone contribute here instead of all over. I'd love links placed here for the assistance of those who have failures.

I'll contribute what I learn as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So my issues started with a binding that sounded like the front diff was bad. I changed the diff, and while testing the trans locked up and almost sent me ass over potatoes. So I looked and tested and I eventually got down to chaining the trans oil and a bolt head cane out with it. So that was my smoking gun.
I pulled the trans and this is what I found.

It appears that either the gear broke, and bound up and pushed the pinion out, or the plate bolts bent and broke allowing the pinion to pull back and then snap the gears.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We've spent a lot of time going through the stock Transmission while researching our shifter box and here's what we know about the front drive bevels. The stock spiral bevel gear set is actually quite well designed. Tooth profile and contact area are both good. Hardness is not ideal.. The real problem is that the bevel gears are coming out of mesh under constant load with the pinion shaft bearing retainer being the weak link. Polaris actually redesigned it in the Turbo tranny with 6 bolts instead of 4. A heavy duty retainer should solve this specific problem but will likely lead to others.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've spent a lot of time going through the stock Transmission while researching our shifter box and here's what we know about the front drive bevels. The stock spiral bevel gear set is actually quite well designed. Tooth profile and contact area are both good. Hardness is not ideal.. The real problem is that the bevel gears are coming out of mesh under constant load with the pinion shaft bearing retainer being the weak link. Polaris actually redesigned it in the Turbo tranny with 6 bolts instead of 4. A heavy duty retainer should solve this specific problem but will likely lead to others.

I was thinking that ball bearings aren't really meant for this type of thrust application. This is more a spherical beveled roller application.

What is the overall solution?
I'm thinking big bore and turbo, or Z1 when this goes back together. I'm open to any recommendations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts