Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem, I have a 14' tandem axle trailer without brakes.
The XP sits with the rear tire just behind the back axle, so most of the weight is on the back set of springs.
I got a set of tire bonnets and would like to move the machine back 6" or so off the front rail to make it easier to install the bonnets.
So here's the question instead of adding brakes to this trailer for cheap spend some money and get a 16' with brakes so I can move the machine back without going to far behind the rear axle.
Just to clarify this trailer is just for the RZR I don't need any room for stuff.
Just wanted to be safe and not wear out my trailer needlessly.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Towing is about weight distribution. Adding brakes to a trailer where you can't distribute the weight properly accomplishes nothing. Most of the weight needs to be in front of the axles and not behind. So yes you would be better off with a longer trailer if you can't distribute the weight properly.

Here is an excellent video that shows the effects of weight distrubtion.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I keep the same trailer and back on do you think this would put to much weight on the tongue?
I'm assuming that a 16' trailer would have the axil farther back but have not measured one yet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I run a 14’ single axle utility trailer and back on a XP4 1000. I have no problem with tongue weight and it is the only way to stabilize the weight distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
One of the best investments I have made for towing. I use a Safe Weight Hitch. I know what my trailers weigh and cargo. I can then set my tongue weight to what it needs to be by moving my vehicle forward or back in the trailer.
81GJmsCXslL._SL1500_.jpg
IMG_1778.JPG
trailer.jpg

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
One of the best investments I have made for towing. I use a Safe Weight Hitch. I know what my trailers weigh and cargo. I can then set my tongue weight to what it needs to be by moving my vehicle forward or back in the trailer. View attachment 643762
I've always been curious as to how accurate these really are and if it was a gimmick. So you've had good luck with it?

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I've always been curious as to how accurate these really are and if it was a gimmick. So you've had good luck with it?
I love it. Over 30,000 miles towing with it and every time the scale in the hitch worked perfectly. Never once have I had any trailer sway for the weight not being right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The XP sits with the rear tire just behind the back axle, so most of the weight is on the back set of springs.
I got a set of tire bonnets and would like to move the machine back 6" or so off the front rail to make it easier to install the bonnets.
So here's the question instead of adding brakes to this trailer for cheap spend some money and get a 16' with brakes so I can move the machine back without going to far behind the rear axle.
Just to clarify this trailer is just for the RZR I don't need any room for stuff.
A fourteen foot trailer is pretty long. I would think you would be able to move the RZR back 6 inches no problem. My trailer is a 10.5 footer, single axle, and has enough tongue weight to pull fine. A few hundred pounds should be enough, plus a tandem axle would even be more stable. I am right up against the front bar. Could you put the bonnets on the back tires, if you would feel more comfortable? I run ratchet straps over my fronts but I am against the front rail.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've always been curious as to how accurate these really are and if it was a gimmick
Use a public scale weigh station....

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Use a public scale weigh station....
Great idea if you have one close. If you only tow the same thing that is always the same weight the weight scale will be fine. I have used my hitch to help other set up their trailer. To get their load right and ball at the right height. What ever you decide to do get your trailer set up right.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I just bought a pro-xp. How wide of a trailer would be optimal?
They're advertised at 64 inch wide but realistically probably closer to 66. I'd say a trailer width a minimum of 6 ft would give you a few inches of wiggle room to work with

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The one I have is 83"X 14' it's wide enough and just long enough maybe a foot between the back of the RZR and the gate. But I'm looking at a 16' just because I think it'll fit better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is simple way to check the tongue weight using a bath room scale a 2/4 and two short pieces of pvc pipe. Search internet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
RZR PRO XP on Trl.jpg

That's a 12' trl. w/3500 lb. brake axle. When test towing as pictured it was o.k. but felt like it needed to be further forward. weight on CAT scale showed 2780lb. on trl axle and 380 lb. on tongue as pictured. ( I dropped trailer jack on different platform than axle)

Later moved RZR forward about 12" so center of front tire was lined up with front stake pocket. This put the rear tire just behind the axle. Straps pulling straight down. Towed perfectly at 65-70 mph. Tow vehicle is E-150 (6000 lb.)

FYI: The PXP in picture is 70" wide. Raceline beadlock with stock tires. Stock machines are about 66"-66.5" not 64" as claimed. The PVC pipe guides it on. Once front tires are inside of pipe you let go of steering wheel and it stays straight. Same when unloading. Just back up and it stays straight.

single axles vs tandem both have pro / con.

I just bought a pro-xp. How wide of a trailer would be optimal?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a 12' trl. w/3500 lb. brake axle. When test towing as pictured it was o.k. but felt like it needed to be further forward. weight on CAT scale showed 2780lb. on trl axle and 380 lb. on tongue as pictured. ( I dropped trailer jack on different platform than axle)

Later moved RZR forward about 12" so center of front tire was lined up with front stake pocket. This put the rear tire just behind the axle. Straps pulling straight down. Towed perfectly at 65-70 mph. Tow vehicle is E-150 (6000 lb.)
My Jeep has a max tongue weight of 350 lbs. How much do think the box on the tongue weighs? I am wondering if jeep is going to be OK towing my PXP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts