Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I apologize in advance but, I do not have much knowledge of off road GPS capability. We ride unmarked trails and what I am really looking for is a GPS that will track my path so if I get lost in the mountains I can track my way back to where I started. Reading the specs on different GPS systems I am not getting the answered I am looking for. I have a nice system on my boat that has this capability and it works great and give me a sense of security when we explore new areas.

I don't care about screen size or tons of options just the basics. So if anyone has some opinions or experience with one you use point me in the right direction.

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am sure you will get many different opinions on this, but I have an older Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Its not the newest model but the topo maps are good enough to get a good idea where I'm at, it will track my route and the compass updates fast enough to I know what direction Im going on the fly. I also use it for geocaching so it's accurate enough for my needs.

If I had the money to spend I would probably get a stand alone Lowrance unit. But the hand held it good enough for me. I just cant read/update it on the fly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Take a look at the Garmin Nuvi 500, it comes with TOPOs installed and has a Track Back feature. I have had mine for 3yrs now, no it doesn't have a ton of features but it hasn't let me down yet. It is water resistant and touch screen.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Garmin Montana. Do yourself a favor and go with a good rugged made for offroad use GPS. Takes a bit to learn just like anything else but once you have it down, the Garmin Montana is far more capable than any tablet running apps. Garmin has Basecamp, A (Free)desktop program to download all your tracks routes and waypoint. When in Basecamp you can EASILY, rename, cut, clip, add to, combine, and organize all your tracks.

There's a reason serious off road riders use these, and not Tablets.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I run a garmin nuvi 255w and it works great. I don't like the trail models bc the screen is very small and they're really pricey.

·
Registered
239 Posts
TODO, is right the Montana series is excellent. Don't rule out the Oregon 600 series, smaller but nice unit. Use RAM mount accessories.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you have an IPad, iPhone or IPod touch just download "Scenic Map" app. It will do all you want and do it easier and better than most of these other GPS stand alone units. If you already have one of these then the app is about $10 and it has everything you need.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A good and cheap one to start with is MotionX. It's a $2 app that is very impressive. You can download a road map or topographic map of any area. You can record your own tracks or download them from sites like Traildamage.com. I use it with my iPad and iPhone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased a Nuvi 550 on ebay for $225 with a bunch of extras. Everything I have read and the feedback I got here this should work fine. My only concern is getting it wet.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

West I downloaded motionX and will try it this weekend.
I am sure you had lots of useful advice. The two links BernieZ66 gave you IMO are the best reference. Also IMO the hand held GPS units like Garmin are obsolete but just like what engine oil to use the experts will come out of the woodwork LOL. You can multi purpose a tablet and use GPS without a cell signal or Wi-Fi and the screen is larger. We use our tablet to record tracks and have amassed a large library of routes. The tablet also has the factory service manual, first aid info, directory of emergency services to contact, and more useful reference files. Annoying things about a tablet are they are hard to see in bright sunlight, need an external power source because of battery life (we have a USB port mounted in the dash), and the screen saver time out. Another issue common to any GPS is you don't know you are off the route until the GPS shows it. So coming back on a night ride leading 10 RZRs in total darkness (not even a moon) using the GPS we made a wrong turn and 10 RZRs were following me and all had to do a turnaround on a narrow cliff trail in the dark with most over their beer limit for the day! Best ride we did so far for those who remember it LOL.

·
Wintering in the Desert..
100 Posts
I use a multi-channel handheld.
The brand is not as important as having multi-channel reception, so you always have up to 12 (or more) satellites in view and providing data continuously.

My first GPS... (1990's?) had no maps, just tracks, and worked fine for the stated purpose.
Most every GPS has a 'track' feature....

(I use a DeLorme PN40 and PN60... the best there is for working with topo maps.)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Another issue common to any GPS is you don't know you are off the route until the GPS shows it.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that why we carry a GPS? I/we reference a trail map as we ride to make sure we stay on the correct route? Maybe the guy with the GPS had too many beers?

:rofl3::ride::rofl3::ride::rofl3:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Terry is right, it is a little known fact that beer coolers interfere with GPS satellite reception. The large Yeti's are the worst.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts