Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2021 Pro XP 4
Discussion Starter #1
I would have assumed based on the mechanics of the CVT system that load would be the killer ... including things like long, slow attempts to pull a car up over obstacles or scenarios that would result in excessive slippage to get moving from stationary positions. But just read a FB discussion on belt failures that contradicts everything I thought I knew - so hoping for some clarity.

21 Pro XP. Was in a situation last week where I had to modulate throttle in low gear to get through about 200 yards of snow on a slightly uphill grade. Several are implying this - despite belt engagement, minimal resistance during tire spin and < 1/2 throttle is equally damaging?

I have 3 years experience and have never lost a belt - new car has bigger tires and more power. Plans to ride everything from dunes to rock crawling. Not too proud to learn so any advice is appreciated.

Super Moderator
FB discussion
Well it's "FB" where everyone is an expert so... 馃槣

High load conditions where the belt gets hot is what can damage a belt. It's not related to throttle position. Get a belt temp gauge and watch the belt temps under various conditions. A belt temp gauge is one of the best things you can do and should come with one from the factory IMO.

Vendor
I would have assumed based on the mechanics of the CVT system that load would be the killer ... including things like long, slow attempts to pull a car up over obstacles or scenarios that would result in excessive slippage to get moving from stationary positions. But just read a FB discussion on belt failures that contradicts everything I thought I knew - so hoping for some clarity.

21 Pro XP. Was in a situation last week where I had to modulate throttle in low gear to get through about 200 yards of snow on a slightly uphill grade. Several are implying this - despite belt engagement, minimal resistance during tire spin and < 1/2 throttle is equally damaging?

I have 3 years experience and have never lost a belt - new car has bigger tires and more power. Plans to ride everything from dunes to rock crawling. Not too proud to learn so any advice is appreciated.
From my experience riding in the Mountains/Dunes/Snow is keep it in Low range as much as possible unless you are haulin' tail for a long open stretch. I've only blown belts in the dunes with a fully loaded 4 seat car. A belt temp gauge would be handy but after years of riding you kind of get to know what they like and don't like.

Registered
Well it's "FB" where everyone is an expert so... 馃槣

High load conditions where the belt gets hot is what can damage a belt. It's not related to throttle position. Get a belt temp gauge and watch the belt temps under various conditions. A belt temp gauge is one of the best things you can do and should come with one from the factory IMO.
What is your opinion on best belt gauges? Razorback?

Registered
Install a Razorback belt temp gauge. A belt temp gauges is worth every penny. I have 18K miles on my 2015 Rzr 1K. I get 3500 miles per belt then I just toss them even though they still look good. The key is keep the lead foot off the throttle, slow down, use the proper gear (L vs H ). Polaris shows the Rzr in adds zooming through the roads. They failed to tell people with poor driving skills that this causes a lot of wear and tear plus rollovers. Many think they're race car drivers and just keep puking money out of their bank accounts. Plus this makes your Rzr undependable and many become broke down during their rides. Drive smart and save lots of money, you'll still get there are have just as much fun and a far lower cost.
Why?

Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE
I would think keeping the throttle down to control wheel spin would be very hard on the belt. belts like high rpm and quickly to prevent belt slippage.

Registered
Ensuring belt engagement is important and load on the belt while engaged. On snow, if in low spinning tires is better than modulating to point that belt is disengaging. Obviously belt killers are partial engagement on rocks or high load conditions like mud/snow where it is creating load on the rotation of the tire. I try to keep the belt housing as clean as possible as belt dust etc is harsh on clutch and belts.

Registered
2021 Pro XP 4
Discussion Starter #10
Agree on the belt temp gauge, incl that it should be installed factory. 2 months in and still finding something new every day that *should have come with the 32k car lol.

@sburrell ... agree and this was my train of thought. To clarify, was modulating throttle to keep the RPM & tire speed down but maintaining clutch engagement (snow was not packed and it was slick).

But where I am still crossed up; implication that load in the absence of belt slippage can still be a problem. If the clutch is engaged and the belt is not slipping - not following what would contribute to a failure? For those with a gauge - does friction from higher (wheel) speeds (not slippage) put temps in the red?

@JansenMotorsports ... any idea what caused your failure at the dunes?

Super Moderator
But where I am still crossed up; implication that load in the absence of belt slippage can still be a problem. If the clutch is engaged and the belt is not slipping - not following what would contribute to a failure? For those with a gauge - does friction from higher (wheel) speeds (not slippage) put temps in the red?
For example: Low to moderate speed using high climbing a hill. The belt may not slip but the load generated causes the belt temp to sky rocket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts