Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I about pulled the trigger on a set of Bandit 46 Series Gen 2 shocks for my 2012 RZR 570. The vendor informed me the spring rate for the front is 200 lbs and the rear is 240 lbs.

I will be using a snow plow and my rear cargo will be hauling about 150 lbs of extra gear when I go ice fishing. I also have doors, rear cargo rack and winch installed.

Will these progressive springs be suitable or do I need to request higher rated springs for the front and rear?

Thoughts?

d1

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I have the same shocks and got the 300# springs from them. No plow, but all the rest of the weight. The heavier springs also helps with the front "dipping into the corners" as I have also disconnected my front sway bar. It's been a good set up for me.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have the trails with the 200 front 240 rear. I am getting ready to get heavier spring rate for my setup. I have a ryfab aluminum windshield, roof, rear window, luggage rack and probably another 100 lbs of gear and accessories. I also haul a 100lbs kayak on top during fishing season. The setup I have is way too light and I've noticed sag after 3000 miles. I'm going to be going closer to 300 lbs spring rate for the new ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oof. Snowplow. Tough spring situation. I used to run a manual lift one on an ATV and that alone dropped the nose quite a bit.

I suppose I'd stay progressive and see if I could get some spring rubbers to fit in an upper turn or two when I had the plow on. That would both increase rate and lock out the lowest part of the progressive. Which would seem to be exactly what you'll need.

Or not, what the heck do i know!!

atb,

-d

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same shocks and got the 300# springs from them. No plow, but all the rest of the weight. The heavier springs also helps with the front "dipping into the corners" as I have also disconnected my front sway bar. It's been a good set up for me.
So, you went 300 on all 4 corners? What preload or other adjustments did you make to dial them in?

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I have the Bandit 300# springs on both front and rear. I had gotten the lighter "stock" Bandit springs originally. After a couple years, when I sent the shocks back to get "rebuilt", I then got the 300# springs from them. I drive fast on twisty quick woodsy trails (20-30mph), so I prefer a more positive feeling while steering. I had un-hooked both front & rear sway bars and didn't like the bouncy feeling when driving fast, especially on corners, so I re-hooked the rear sway bar back up.

I have adjusted my preload so that I have about 10-1/2" clearance in the back and 11"+ in the front. I have adjusted them a few times to get the ride and handling right for me (roughly 1-3/4" down from the top). I do also still have my 2" R/T lift installed and 27" tires on 14" rims. I do not find the extra height "tippy" or top heavy as others might have said.
You really will need to experiment with it, as each machine sits different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Bandit 300# springs on both front and rear. I had gotten the lighter "stock" Bandit springs originally. After a couple years, when I sent the shocks back to get "rebuilt", I then got the 300# springs from them. I drive fast on twisty quick woodsy trails (20-30mph), so I prefer a more positive feeling while steering. I had un-hooked both front & rear sway bars and didn't like the bouncy feeling when driving fast, especially on corners, so I re-hooked the rear sway bar back up.

I have adjusted my preload so that I have about 10-1/2" clearance in the back and 11"+ in the front. I have adjusted them a few times to get the ride and handling right for me (roughly 1-3/4" down from the top). I do also still have my 2" R/T lift installed and 27" tires on 14" rims. I do not find the extra height "tippy" or top heavy as others might have said.
Thanks for the insight. Bandit is telling me all they can do in the front is 225 and 280 in the rear (with a possibility of having 300). So, my options are limited in regards to that.

Do you find the rebound uncontrollable when driving quickly over uneven terrain? Similar to driving a truck over washboard gravel roads, when the vehicle shifts to the side or rearend kicks out.

d1

·
Premium Member
545 Posts

Thanks for the insight. Bandit is telling me all they can do in the front is 225 and 280 in the rear (with a possibility of having 300). So, my options are limited in regards to that.

Do you find the rebound uncontrollable when driving quickly over uneven terrain? Similar to driving a truck over washboard gravel roads, when the vehicle shifts to the side or rearend kicks out.

d1
Just the opposite. The stock shocks and springs were bouncy and unsafe in my opinion, and I experienced the bouncing rear end and sliding sideways, that you describe, over bumps way too many times when driving over bumps and rough trails.

FYI - a little history of mine - Back in 2013, I couldn't justify the cost to upgrade the stock shocks and springs. I read on the forum of everyone complaining about the stock shocks and springs and how they were garbage soon after buying.

I thought, Wow, really? How bad can the stock shocks really be? Well...

Not being able to afford any new $1000 shocks as I was adding too many other upgrades at the time, I first upgraded to the dual R/T springs that used the stock shocks and R/T 2" lift. It was definitely better handling and ride than the factory set-up and really helped in the "bouncing" that you describe. A couple years later, I was able to upgrade to my Bandit shock set-up, and then about a year later, I added the 300# springs.

The rear suspension on the 570, has short a-arms and you can only do so much with the suspension for a better ride. Being a 50" wide machine, changing shocks, springs, removing sway bars, lift and tires are a few items that will help.

A side note; I did find that after the new shocks, installing suspension seats was the next best add for ride quality. Even my wife agreed the seats were well worth the money I spent! ( not so much on other adds, lol ) Should have gotten seats sooner because now she enjoys going out for longer rides!

My opinion - All I can say is that upgrading with my Bandit shocks and springs was a night and day difference in ride and handling to me. Once "tuned in", they smoothed out the trails and made going over bumps and rough trails ride & handle much better, and when driving quicker by keeping the wheels on the ground and not bouncing "out of control" over bumps that I used to experience.
I installed the Bandit shock / spring set-up and my rear shocks have the remote rear oil tank on a hose, so I didn't have any install issues with the rear sway bar that others might have experienced with the attached tank. But having the remote oil tank was a problem for me, as the hose connection loosened up over time, causing oil and gas leaks and me getting them re-built and re-charged @ $100 a piece.

Everyone will have their own opinion and favorite brand of shocks, but I'm sure that most any of the brands out there, would definitely be an upgrade from the stock set-up. Still amazes me about the lack of quality of the Sach shocks that were included on these machines.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

d1
Just the opposite. The stock shocks and springs were bouncy and unsafe in my opinion, and I experienced the bouncing rear end and sliding sideways, that you describe, over bumps way too many times when driving over bumps and rough trails.

FYI - a little history of mine - Back in 2013, I couldn't justify the cost to upgrade the stock shocks and springs. I read on the forum of everyone complaining about the stock shocks and springs and how they were garbage soon after buying.

I thought, Wow, really? How bad can the stock shocks really be? Well...

Not being able to afford any new $1000 shocks as I was adding too many other upgrades at the time, I first upgraded to the dual R/T springs that used the stock shocks and R/T 2" lift. It was definitely better handling and ride than the factory set-up and really helped in the "bouncing" that you describe. A couple years later, I was able to upgrade to my Bandit shock set-up, and then about a year later, I added the 300# springs.

The rear suspension on the 570, has short a-arms and you can only do so much with the suspension for a better ride. Being a 50" wide machine, changing shocks, springs, removing sway bars, lift and tires are a few items that will help.

A side note; I did find that after the new shocks, installing suspension seats was the next best add for ride quality. Even my wife agreed the seats were well worth the money I spent! ( not so much on other adds, lol ) Should have gotten seats sooner because now she enjoys going out for longer rides!

My opinion - All I can say is that upgrading with my Bandit shocks and springs was a night and day difference in ride and handling to me. Once "tuned in", they smoothed out the trails and made going over bumps and rough trails ride & handle much better, and when driving quicker by keeping the wheels on the ground and not bouncing "out of control" over bumps that I used to experience.
I installed the Bandit shock / spring set-up and my rear shocks have the remote rear oil tank on a hose, so I didn't have any install issues with the rear sway bar that others might have experienced with the attached tank. But having the remote oil tank was a problem for me, as the hose connection loosened up over time, causing oil and gas leaks and me getting them re-built and re-charged @ $100 a piece.

Everyone will have their own opinion and favorite brand of shocks, but I'm sure that most any of the brands out there, would definitely be an upgrade from the stock set-up. Still amazes me about the lack of quality of the Sach shocks that were included on these machines.
Thanks for the thorough breakdown. I went and purchased the Bandit 225/280 setup today. I am hoping that I won't have a body roll issue due to having to remove the rear sway bar. I am running 27" tires, 2" lift and 1" wheel spacers so I am hoping the new shock setup will be a significant upgrade.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

d1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts