Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions and feedback on the best budget friendly dynamic recovery ropes you guys have used. Amazon has a bunch but they range wildly in price.

Is this a 'you get what you pay for situation' or is an $80 - 3/4" dynamic rope very similar to a $150 - 3/4" dynamic rope?

I've found that synthetic winch lines seem to be just as good when they are cheap vs expensive....

Interested to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use Custom Splice for winch line and their soft shackles. Call Todd at Custom Splice and tell him what you are wanting. You can message him on FB as well if you prefer to text.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anybody in Canada looking for a decent tow rope, I just ordered a couple of these;
They have stuff up to 2" line for 127000 lbs break strength.

These also have 100' spools of 1/4" HMPE winch line with eye's already spliced in for $80.00

They're doing free shipping to Canada and the US for order over $200.00....

Seems like some of the best pricing I could find and you Americans can take advantage of the exchange....

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
For anybody in Canada looking for a decent tow rope, I just ordered a couple of these;
They have stuff up to 2" line for 127000 lbs break strength.

These also have 100' spools of 1/4" HMPE winch line with eye's already spliced in for $80.00

They're doing free shipping to Canada and the US for order over $200.00....

Seems like some of the best pricing I could find and you Americans can take advantage of the exchange....
I hope you plan on using that rope as a simple tow rope and not a "recovery" strap. When you say "dynamic" rope I think Kinetic or Snatch Rope. There is a "huge" difference between the two and the ratings. The forces on a "dynamic" rope are drastically higher.

Complete Guide to Recovery Tow Straps, Snatch Straps & Kinetic Ropes – dirtrenegade

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I hope you plan on using that rope as a simple tow rope and not a "recovery" strap. When you say "dynamic" rope I think Kinetic or Snatch Rope. There is a "huge" difference between the two and the ratings. The forces on a "dynamic" rope are drastically higher.

Complete Guide to Recovery Tow Straps, Snatch Straps & Kinetic Ropes – dirtrenegade
Yep I've done my homework on these for the last day or so and we won't be 'bouncing' these ropes.... Certainly 'dynamic' ropes are designed to stretch, but nylon will give you about a 15% stretch at 1/2 breaking strength vs about 30% of a dynamic rope.

Edit: Polyester will stretch to about 15% a the very most, nylon will give you around 30% stretch

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just a note that these are nylon ropes, which will stretch. Polyester stretches less. I thought they were polyester... Upon further research my edit exists below:

Nylon stretches the most… between 15%-30% of its length at break point . Most folks employing ropes or cord rarely push them to their breaking points, but you can expect nylon to provide the give that others won’t.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Why did you ask about dynamic ropes if you were pricing them against static ropes?

They have different jobs, and don't suit the job of the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why did you ask about dynamic ropes if you were pricing them against static ropes?

They have different jobs, and don't suit the job of the other.
Well truth be told, I started with dynamic ropes, until i couldn't find one for under $200 that would do what I think I require.

And the ropes I actually ended up with are not static ropes. They are just 'less' stretchy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The more reading I do, the more it looks like a simple double braid nylon rope is what is being sold as a Dynamic Tow rope:

Kinetic Recovery Ropes (also known as a snatch ropes or yanker ropes) are designed to stretch, to smoothly transfer the kinetic energy of a recovering vehicle to a vehicle that is stuck. The ability of the rope to stretch is key, and sets the design of a Kinetic Recovery Rope apart from a typical tow rope or tow strap. ASR Offroad's Kinetic Recovery Ropes are designed and built with the express purpose of stretching under load, to provide a smooth and powerful pull. Some key features that set our Kinetic Recovery Ropes apart:
  • 100% Double Braid Nylon.
  • Maximum Strength Nylon (factory-dyed black bylon products MTS is approx 10% lower).
  • Professionally spliced in the US by ASR's trained and certified splicers.
  • Abrasion protection in the eyes and on the rope body.
  • Optional fiber-lock coating of the exterior in a custom color.
  • Up To 30% Elongation Under Load.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Notice how there isn't any technical specs other than break strength, and it conviently doesn't list how that was determined?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Notice how there isn't any technical specs other than break strength, and it conviently doesn't list how that was determined?
It's $50 man. I'm going to try it out, and more than likely it will pull me or my stuck buddies out, and I'll be able to afford a couple flats of beer for after with the money I save....

Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's $50 man. I'm going to try it out, and more than likely it will pull me or my stuck buddies out, and I'll be able to afford a couple flats of beer for after with the money I save....

Thanks.
This is a 3/4 " kinetic rope.. I keep it for my truck.. might be a lil to heavy duty for Rzr to Rzr. It the 3/4 in the video..yes it was a lil violent inside lol

I use this one now for Rzr to Rzr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a 3/4 " kinetic rope.. I keep it for my truck.. might be a lil to heavy duty for Rzr to Rzr. It the 3/4 in the video..yes it was a lil violent inside lol

I use this one now for Rzr to Rzr
From the limited reading i've been doing, match the rope to the job is what i've found. If you use the big boy rope on a small job, you won't get the stretch you need.... Or so I've read.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts