Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XP 4 900 LE is brand new, and I picked up a puncture in one of my rear tires. Pretty good size...I put a plug in it, but that's temporary at best. There's still a slow (overnight) leak.

So - who has the best deal on a new stock Maxxis Bighorn rear tire? 26x12x12...

Discount Tire lists them on their site, but I'd like to shop around and find the best deal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
My XP 4 900 LE is brand new, and I picked up a puncture in one of my rear tires. Pretty good size...I put a plug in it, but that's temporary at best. There's still a slow (overnight) leak.

Discount Tire lists them on their site, but I'd like to shop around and find the best deal.

Thanks!

Rocky Mountain ATV has that size for $135...not sure how that compares with Discount.

How bad is the puncture? I've run thousands of miles with plugs in tires.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Thanks!

Rocky Mountain ATV has that size for $135...not sure how that compares with Discount.

How bad is the puncture? I've run thousands of miles with plugs in tires.
I agree with both of the comments posted above.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just plug it and keep riding, once your big horns wear out, find a different brand tire. I've also got a 2012 xp4 LE 900 miles and 3 plugs in every tire, some even in the sidewalls, the rear tires are about 1/4 tread so I'm shopping for a different brand now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got mine from rocky mountain ATV with free shipping... Best deal I could find

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I might have been mistaken about Discount Tire...as I look closer, they have Maxxis tires, but not 26x12x12. Anyway...

Believe it or not a stick (yes, a stick) puntured the tire. The stars must have aligned just right for it to happen. It was about 3/8" or so diameter stick. I pulled it out (as much as I could) then plugged the hole with two plugs and plenty of rubber cement. Stock psi is 16 (I believe), and it'll lose about half that (down to 8) overnight.

There was about 4 hours or so on the machine when this happened. Tires are brand new.

Thanks for the heads-up. So far Rocky Mountain seems to be the best deal. And just thinking ahead...can any ol' tire shop pull off my old and re-seat the new tire? Or can I DIY? How hard is it to break the bead and re-mount a new one?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
10,048 Posts
try a plug patch..

·
Mr. Impulse
2,065 Posts
One other very permanent repair would be to take it to a tire shop and have it vulcanized. Remelts the rubber to like new. Local here its 25 bucks but good as new, otherwise, plug patch from the inside will do the trick for sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I might have been mistaken about Discount Tire...as I look closer, they have Maxxis tires, but not 26x12x12. Anyway...

Believe it or not a stick (yes, a stick) puntured the tire. The stars must have aligned just right for it to happen. It was about 3/8" or so diameter stick. I pulled it out (as much as I could) then plugged the hole with two plugs and plenty of rubber cement. Stock psi is 16 (I believe), and it'll lose about half that (down to 8) overnight.

There was about 4 hours or so on the machine when this happened. Tires are brand new.

Thanks for the heads-up. So far Rocky Mountain seems to be the best deal. And just thinking ahead...can any ol' tire shop pull off my old and re-seat the new tire? Or can I DIY? How hard is it to break the bead and re-mount a new one?

Thanks guys!
IIRC, stock tire pressure is 8 psi, at least on a STD. Given the stiff sidewalls of Bighorns and our rocky terrain, I run less, usually around 6, it rides better. Any tire shop should be able to swap/patch the tire, as long as the puncture is on the tread face, not the sidewall. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also put 2 holes in the sidewall of a rear tire Maxxis Bighorn) on the week end...
I used 3 plugs for one hole and 2 for the other to limp it back to the trailer.

This might sound like a dumb question, but can I go to 27" rear tires and keep the stock 26ers on the front?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, my puncture is on the tread face, not the sidewall (thankfully).

It looks like there's a (semi-truck) shop near me that does tire repair. I'm going to head there tomorrow and see what they can do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts