Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this topic has been pounded to death, but I am fairly new to forum and RZR's. At 360 miles I am on belt number 3 - first the wimpy factory belt, then a "sever duty" EPI, now part#3211133 Polaris S belt. Last two I washed the belt, lightly sanded sheaves, blew the sheaves and clutch with air, cleaned sheaves with alcohol, installed belt where you could read the numbers from the front. Then some good and not so good break in riding. Does appear the failed two belts were hot and I am running snorkles.
Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
893 Posts
In my experience, both with UTV's and snowmobiles, is that break in is key! Take it easy(I know how hard that is) and vary speed a lot.

You may also be dealing with mis-aligned clutches. I have no experience aligning RZR clutches, but plenty with sleds. Check out the service manual and see if there is an alignment spec and procedure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty picky about using low gear at slow speeds or pulling out a stuck machine. The possiblity of mis-aligned clutchs could be a good thought. I have had the clutchs off, any one know how to check and correct if need be. Is there a service manual on line anywhere? Thank You

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a clutch alignment tool, but you can get by without it. Make sure the clutches are torqued to spec. (drive 47ftlb, driven 18ftlb). Install belt. Make sure the belt does not hit the sides of the drive clutch sheaves. In nuetral and the engine running at idle the belt should be stationary.

Almost all belt failures are due to operator error. Not using the correct gear for the situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
R- BOLT,

Tell us about the failed belts.

Shredded?

Shiny spots?

Understanding what happened to the belt can let us tell you more about our experiences and what we have done.

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pirate the belts shredded both times, and I could smell the rubber. I think the second time the belt came apart a little slower as the housing was cut up some. The chunks that were left were pretty solid from the heat. I have changed my snorkels some hoping for better air flow.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I would for sure check to make sure your snorkels are at least as large, internal cross sectional area, to make sure the CVT is getting enough cooling air.

I've never shredded a belt, but I'm sure others that have will jump in.

But there's a part of me that says that your doing too much in high gear. I use low gear for anything less than about 17 mph. Yah, ya gotta stop to shift gears, but I don't care. I'll make sure there is no one too close behind me, then stop, shift and go. I'd rather do that than have to stop along the trail and change a belt!

Try looking at your mph and what gear and what terrain you are riding in and see if it matches with the Owners Manual, and my experience, and see if what you are doing is different.

JMO

Pirate

·
Registered
442 Posts
There's a clutch alignment tool, bikeman performance makes one. There is little adjusments to me be made as the trans bolts to motor, its not like a sled setup where the motor has alot of movement to set belt deflection and clutch alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts