Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone got any info on this or possibly have tried it? Found it doing some google research

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-152480141.html

Alba doesn’t claim to make an infrared gauge, so I question its legitimacy, but I’d never seen an infrared gauge other than the ever popular Razorback

Give it a second.... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone7 )

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Alba Racing Infrared Belt Temp Gauge

Interesting.

Wonder what the extra wire loom is for? One appears for the sensor, the other is for the illumination, but the other???

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The red/white is a jumper that alba sends so you can jumper the power/backlighting together on multiple gauges if you want, that’s been pretty standard for their gauges, I had a whole set in my 900, including the belt temp (with the air sensor).

By the picture, all that’s different is the infrared sensor... which I don’t know if that’s something this particular company just setup to work with the standard gauge resistance, don’t know if it’s the same sensor that Razorback uses that this company put a plug on to mate with the alba gauge, don’t know how accurate it is, etc.

I was looking into infrared sensors to try and setup my own belt temp gauge because I think the Razorback is a bit overpriced, and research is free.... and I can across this is in the process, it’s not really that much cheaper than the razorback... but I’ve always preferred an analog gauge so it caught my interest....

that’s actually what I was going to try to setup, I have several autometer temp gauges sitting around, I would just need to find an infrared sensor with a 0-90 ohm range across the appropriate temp range and figure out mounting... I haven’t quite figured all the ins and outs yet tho... it’s a process lol.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alba Racing Infrared Belt Temp Gauge

Also just noticed the gauge face actually says “IR Belt Temp”... it’s just weird that alba doesn’t list it on their website, if it is actually an Alba gauge even

I have an e-mail to alba asking about it, but they’ve never been super speedy on the responses, and Nate isn’t really active on the forums much anymore

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts

For $35 more just get the proven and much easier to connect Razorback.

You have to question the sensor too, I know Razorback makes theirs and it is calibrated for the color of the belt and density, not a generic sensor.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You have to question the sensor too, I know Razorback makes theirs and it is calibrated for the color of the belt and density, not a generic sensor.

I’m mostly being a baby because I don’t like the way the Razorback looks, and it seems too overpriced, I think this one is overpriced too tho.

I don’t buy that calibrated for belt density & color spiel, sounds like ocean front property in Arizona to me.

Give it a second.... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone7 )

·
Registered
74 Posts

I’m mostly being a baby because I don’t like the way the Razorback looks, and it seems too overpriced, I think this one is overpriced too tho.

I don’t buy that calibrated for belt density & color spiel, sounds like ocean front property in Arizona to me.

Not sure about calibrating for density with optical sensors but, calibrating for color with optical non-contact temperature sensors is a real deal.
The term is emissivity, it has to do with what is know as a black body effect and sensors must be calibrated for accuracy.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You are correct, and I guess I didn’t word that to get my actual thoughts across.... I don’t buy that Razorback themselves makes and calibrates that IR sensor, they just buy it from a supplier, they probably tell the supplier they need to read a temp on “black rubber” in the 100-300 (ish) range... and the suppliers sends the appropriate sensor... that’s where they get the justification to say it’s calibrated

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

The problem is a decent infrared sensor is going to run ~$200+. Most output a 0-5/0-10vdc, 4-20mA, RTD, or digital signal. Finding a cheap sensor with 0-90ohm output would be like finding a unicorn. Omega Engineering has some options. I'm a tech guy and love building stuff but by the time you buy the pieces and build it it's probably cheaper to bite the bullet and buy an off the shelf model.

·
Registered
74 Posts

We don't have a belt temperature sensor. I really don't think we run ours hard enough to worry about it. How much do you think you can make one for?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

You are correct, and I guess I didn’t word that to get my actual thoughts across.... I don’t buy that Razorback themselves makes and calibrates that IR sensor, they just buy it from a supplier, they probably tell the supplier they need to read a temp on “black rubber” in the 100-300 (ish) range... and the suppliers sends the appropriate sensor... that’s where they get the justification to say it’s calibrated

I assure you they are not building or calibrating the sensor. They are buying the sensor from a supplier.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The problem is a decent infrared sensor is going to run ~$200+. Most output a 0-5/0-10vdc, 4-20mA, RTD, or digital signal. Finding a cheap sensor with 0-90ohm output would be like finding a unicorn. Omega Engineering has some options. I'm a tech guy and love building stuff but by the time you buy the pieces and build it it's probably cheaper to bite the bullet and buy an off the shelf model.

That’s pretty much where I had wound up lol, but I just had never looked into anything of the sort before, and research is free, and now I know a tiny bit about IR sensors. But yes, I’ve pretty much concluded that I’ll end up joining the masses if I get one

·
The Lone Rzr
2,229 Posts

but I’ve always preferred an analog gauge so it caught my interest....
I'm with you. Maybe it's old school or maybe that's what i grew up with especially on bikes. I hate the colored graph rpm gauge.
With analog gauges I can glance down and get a pretty good idea where I'm at with mph and rpm.
Even better with a belt temp gauge watching it go up or down
I have the gen 1 RB gauge and maybe they changed the sensor mount but I think it's cheezy with that stereo micro thin nut.
Rumor has it over at the can am forum they "borrowed" someone's gauge mount set up.
I'll have to dig it up. Someone is already coming up with a new set up but not on the market yet

found it,
https://www.maverickforums.net/forum/11-engine-drivetrain/112747-new-aim-infrared-belt-temp-battery-voltage-gauge.html

·
Registered
135 Posts

Had no idea this was such a hot topic, pun intended.

I also do not like the look of the razorback gauge, and the only reason I have not purchased one is the lack of a dimmer option.

The price is a tad high, but the overall package seems worth it. It is nice to have zero competition when making that price as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts

They would come out with this right after I put in an rb gauge... I don't really mind the cost, I just don't want to be blinded at night.

·
Registered
137 Posts

AIM is another option that you can program high and low temps and has dimmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Been doing some reading on that, seems pretty good, but it doesn't look like it's for sale as of now.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Interestingly enough.... that website has taken down that product... I haven’t received a reply from alba... but I think I might have inadvertently ratted someone out...

I did find another place that has it listed now tho.... with an oddly similar looking webpage and product listing....

.... I’m gonna send that company (that will remain unnamed) an e-mail about it now....

Either Razorback or Alba is on the prowl it seems....

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here is a PDF about that new AIM gauge @185EZ dug up from the canam forums for anyone interested.. (myself included)

https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/doc/eng/infrared_belt_temp_system/infrared_belt_temp_system_user_guide_100.pdf

I received a reply today from the second site I found that gauge at, the email came from a guy at vivid racing oddly enough... which was the first place I found the gauge at, This is our communication thus far... I found his reply somewhat comical, like an uninformed Autozone newbie that can't find anything without a year/make/model to put in his computer, but also found it funny that both sites (same parent company is now obvious), have removed the listing for that product.

My initial email:
"Hello, I have a question about the Alba Racing Infrared Belt Temp gauge listed on your website...

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p-152480141.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbWQ4pS14AIVS7XACh2czArSEAQYAyABEgLuxvD_BwE

Is this really an Alba Racing product? They don’t list an Infrared model on their website, and I’m curious as to the legitimacy of the product... I’ve only ever seen one kind of Infrared belt temp gauge, and I’m not a big fan of its design, I’m very interested in this gauge, but can you tell me more about it please?"

His response:
"Hi there,

I'm getting an error when clicking the link to the product you're speaking of.

What Make/Model UTV are you looking to get this type of item for? That way I can give you a hand! "

My Reply:
"I’ve seen that item listen on both the vivid racing site, and horsepower freaks site in the last week, now both sites show the item as unavailable. I sent this e-mail to the horsepower freaks contact link, and got a reply from vivid racing, so I see the two companies are one in the same....

The item in question, is, as stated, an Alba Racing Infrared Belt temp gauge. The make/model of UTV is irrelevant since it’s not a direct fit item. Alba Racing only shows to make a belt temp gauge that uses an Air sensor, not the infrared sensor. You had listed, on both sites, an infrared belt temp gauge, and now, both sites show that product as unavailable. So I guess that the item doesn’t exist... or it does exist, and patent/licensing issues have developed since I have been inquiring.... I would be interested in the product... if it indeed does exist and you can sell it."

I kinda feel that someone from razorback or alba might be trolling this post as well.... Show your face if you are!

·
Registered
31 Posts

Here is a sensor for the tech heads in the bunch. $20 in single quantity. https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Temperature/MLX90614_rev001.pdf https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/mlx90614-ir-thermometer-hookup-guide

You need to program the emissivity information into it, and program the PWM output function, but it looks like all of the basics are there to let you drive a cheap 0-5V type movement. So a lot of the 'impossible things that nobody does' seem to built into this package. I would think that it would be difficult to keep a sensor like this clean in the belt environment.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts